Explore & discover

Helpful Links

Re: direct tv/Amazon scam

direct tv/Amazon scam

On Oct. 6, 2016 I was contacted by an Indian sounding person from 1-888-*** saying he was with Direct TV.

Long story short he was offering me reduced monthly rates on my Direct TV bill and I would get premium channels, and NFL Sundays for 2 years.  Said it was a promotion with Direct TV and Amazon.  They were promoting Amazon Gift Cards and if I paid 5 months up front with an Amazon gift card within in 24 hours I would receive a $100 Visa gift card as well.

Originally I agreed, his supervisor came on line to record and verify the agreement.

I was given, what he said was the billing department for Direct TV (1-888-***) and an authorization code to use when I called after purchasing the Amazon gift card.

I got on line and contacted AT&T at 1-800-531-5000 since I am bundled with them.  The girl in billing assured me this was a scam, but she had never heard of it before.  I suggested she contact her supervisor or someone.

I got on line and searched Direct TV/Amazon scams and found this scam had been going on since February!

Why does Direct TV / AT&T not notify their customer and employees of this scam?

This scam is well implemented, to good to be true or not!  Get off you butts and inform your customers!

[Edited to comply with Guidelines]

Message 1 of 432
Tutor

If you enter 1 like they instruct you to do after they connect..
Message 391 of 432
ACE - Expert

@Peteyb wrote:
If you enter 1 like they instruct you to do after they connect..

No, don't ever press any keys on your phone when you get these calls.  Often they'll give you instructions like "Press 1 to opt out of future calls", and that's a lie.  You've just verified that someone picked up the phone and responded, so they'll sell your number to even more scammers.  Just hang up!

For official support call DirecTV 1-800-531-5000 or AT&T 1-800-288-2020.
Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 392 of 432
Contributor

I received this same call twice.  His first call sounded fishy at the time, when he asked me what plan I'm currently on in broken English.  I told the guy it's odd he's claiming to be from DirecTV, but he doesn't know which plan I'm on.  I told him I'm not interested, ran a search on the phone number, and contacted ATT to inform them of the scam.  When he called me again today, I decided to mess with him.  I asked him which plan I'm on - he said he doesn't know.  I asked him what my address is.  He actually knew this, but he couldn't pronounce any of the words, and they are very simple words.  I then got bored and told him I know he isn't from DirecTV.  He told me to eff off and hung up on me.

Why hasn't ATT requested a law enforcement investigation of this?  I told them a month ago I received this scam call, and getting the call from the same guy again was quite surprising.

Message 393 of 432
Former Employee

@NolSan

Do you still have the phone number available. I would like to do some further investigation on this.

Also @NolSan please visit and read the following thread https://forums.att.com/t5/DIRECTV-Account/MUST-READ-An-in-depth-look-into-scam-phone-calls/td-p/5647...

If this reply helped you please use Accept solution to mark it as an Accepted Solution.
For official support call DirecTV 1-800-531-5000 or AT&T 1-800-288-2020
Message 394 of 432
Contributor

Hi!

The phone number is 888-531-5000.

Thanks!

Nolan
Message 395 of 432
ACE - Expert

Most likely that number is spoofed and will go nowhere.  So how can DTV/AT&T do anything to block non existent numbers from calling you?

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 396 of 432
Former Employee

I'll add it to my call back and see where it goes. i'll let you know what happens when I call it.

BTW @NolSan did you get to read that other thread?

If this reply helped you please use Accept solution to mark it as an Accepted Solution.
For official support call DirecTV 1-800-531-5000 or AT&T 1-800-288-2020
Message 397 of 432
Contributor

DTV scam

I spoke to DTV on 10-20-18.  We paid our bill to the representative and also set up auto-pay.   On 10-30-18 we received a call from a person about an offer that DTV had available to us.  If we prepaid our bill for four months, we would be eligible to reduce our bill from $112 to $69.99.  We would have to use an Amazon gift card to pay the $280.  We did and then shortly after realized that it was a scam.  Too late.  I was out $280.  I've been communicating with DTV about this to see why the rep I spoke to on 10-20-18 didn't disclose to me there is an active scam targeting DTV customers.  I feel  ATT/DTV should reimburse me the $280 or at least compromise and offer several months of complementary service.   David

Message 398 of 432
Contributor

To what state agency would you report DTV to?  They should be warning there customers.

I live in Calif. 

Message 399 of 432

Re: direct tv/EBAY scam

I just received a phone call today from 1-800-288-2020 from a person with a very, very thick Indian accent saying he was with AT&T DirecTV services and was running a promotion.  He stated the promotion was sponsored by EBAY and that I could save $40 per month if I prepaid 2 months of service with a prepaid EBAY gift card.  He also stated I would receive a $100 gift card after I paid the 2 months with the prepaid EBAY gift cards.  I told him that I just called AT&T two weeks prior and already had all the discounts.  He then asked me how much my bill was for all of my bundled services....I almost laughed at him, I thought to myself, wouldn't he know what my bill was if he was really calling from AT&T.  I played along and he transferred me to his supervisor to explain the billing process and how to purchase the prepaid EBAY gift cards.  He informed me that I would only receive the promotion if I called the billing dept. by the end of the day to submit payment.  This person was about to give me the number when I hung up on this pathetic excuse for a human being.  These people are thieves and should be prosecuted for criminal activity.  Next time one of them calls, I will most likely play along until I get the phone number they give me so I can post their scam all over the internet.  Then I will let them know what scum of the earth they are, and tell them that I hope they have a horrific accident when they are spending the money they stole from hard working Americans.

Message 400 of 432
Highlighted

They just called me with this scam. 11/29/18 3:30pm. CA.

How do they know I'm an att/direct tv customer? Their caller id said att also.

Message 401 of 432

They told me to call 888-391-7528

Message 402 of 432
Teacher

I filed a complaint with the Federal Trade Commission on 9/29/17. I have copies of the complaint. To this day, they have not done nothing. I still keep getting text messages from them.

I spoke to a local TV station and they seemed interested in looking at the documents I have. I might go that route.

Message 403 of 432
ACE - Expert

@thedirthole They bought your info from the person(s) who stole it by hacking data bases or they stole it themselves.

Message 404 of 432
Tutor

They are posing and using the name AT&T and Amazon and EBAY. Why haven't you guys attempted to prosecute them?  They are a slander to your name and service. Not to mention the fact that they are thieves.

Curtis

Message 405 of 432
Share this topic
Share this topic
Announcements

If your DIRECTV account has recently moved into myAT&T, let us help you manage your DIRECTV account in myAT&T.

Additional Support