Explore & discover

Helpful Links

direct tv/Amazon scam

direct tv/Amazon scam

On Oct. 6, 2016 I was contacted by an Indian sounding person from 1-888-*** saying he was with Direct TV.

Long story short he was offering me reduced monthly rates on my Direct TV bill and I would get premium channels, and NFL Sundays for 2 years.  Said it was a promotion with Direct TV and Amazon.  They were promoting Amazon Gift Cards and if I paid 5 months up front with an Amazon gift card within in 24 hours I would receive a $100 Visa gift card as well.

Originally I agreed, his supervisor came on line to record and verify the agreement.

I was given, what he said was the billing department for Direct TV (1-888-***) and an authorization code to use when I called after purchasing the Amazon gift card.

I got on line and contacted AT&T at 1-800-531-5000 since I am bundled with them.  The girl in billing assured me this was a scam, but she had never heard of it before.  I suggested she contact her supervisor or someone.

I got on line and searched Direct TV/Amazon scams and found this scam had been going on since February!

Why does Direct TV / AT&T not notify their customer and employees of this scam?

This scam is well implemented, to good to be true or not!  Get off you butts and inform your customers!

[Edited to comply with Guidelines]

Message 1 of 432
Teacher

Re: direct tv/Amazon scam

I'm a Directv customer only.  I do not have AT&T.  I have not received this call from them.  After reading through the posts, I wonder if it's on AT&T's end, and not Directv's end?

Message 121 of 432
Mentor

They are one in the same now. Directv is actually my only "AT&T" product

Message 122 of 432
ACE - Expert

@Kmlaw4 @icemavs41

AT&T owns Directv, but they are separate service platforms. It is not expected that all their internal systems are "unified." So it is possible that one side could be affected, or targeted, more than the other. In the end though, someone calls you and requests your card info, especially if it is an untraceable method (prepaid card), that should be a red flag that it may not be from the actual company.

@Holly757

Many companies may share information to sell their products and services. The issue here is that there are scams out there with people pretending to sell you services who do not have legitimate access to your information. Whether that is an issue with somewhere in the business chain information is getting out, or customer error with all the other phishing scams out there, it is unknown. The reality is always be cautious of who contacts you (by phone or email) and that an offer requiring a method of payment like a prepaid card that is essentially untraceable is a scam.

Con-artists exist and scams change. Companies cannot just warn customers, or potential customers (everyone else in the country) on possible specific scams that there are. There are too many scams out there to make it reasonable. So companies do what they can to protect the info they have been provided and expect the customer to be diligent with their own information on their end about who they give it out to. If a company confirms information has been obtained through them, then I agree affected people should be made aware. But if their protection of info is fine, they shouldn't need to say "hey there may be people out there who may want your info to maybe steal your money so be wary of strangers who come to the door or call you".

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(Included after every post)
I am a customer, not an employee. This is a public forum.
For official support call DirecTV 1-800-531-5000 or AT&T 1-800-288-2020.
Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 123 of 432
Mentor

It's a whole different ballgame when someone is using a directv number to contact me.. they have a full on directv automated system.. and they somehow were given all of my info within 24 hours of me becoming a directv customer again. Seriously. 24 hours. I did not use a computer to login to my account.. I did not correspond with directv over computer. So how did they manage to get all of my info in that time? It was sold to them by directv. That's why so many people are mad. They were given every avenue to come up with this very elaborate scheme. When directv is showing up on my caller id and they have all of my info it's easy to fall victim to this. And directv is responsible for them having our info
Message 124 of 432
Teacher

Thank you for clearing that up.  It's confusing when they use both names.

Message 125 of 432
Highlighted
Community Manager
Solution
Accepted by Community Manager (Community Manager)
Accepted by ATTDmitriyCM
‎04-27-2017 9:58 AM

Hello everyone,

I'm very sorry some of you had a terrible experience with these fraudulent phone calls. I understand how frustrating it can be and as others have suggested, anytime someone calls you and asks for any kind of information or money, it's best to hang up immediately and call a posted customer care number for that company to confirm if those offers are real.

AT&T has some information and tips about potential frauds and scams located HERE. I hope it helps.

Thank you,

Dmitriy

Rethink Possible

Did a post have a solution that worked for you? Help other people find solutions faster by marking posts that helped you as an "Accepted Solution". Learn about accepted solutions: Learn More.

*I am an AT&T employee, and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Tags (1)
Message 126 of 432
Mentor

Another example of this company not listening right here. The directv phone number was the one calling me. And I called a rep and was told if i wanted to accept the offer I had to accept it through the telemarketer. Whats your next ridiculous response? I got an email saying there was an accepted solution to this. HAHAHAHAHA. Where is Ashton Kutcher? Am I being punk'd? I get madder and madder with each response I get from you guys not caring or being willing to take any responsibility for giving away all of my info to these people

Message 127 of 432
Tutor

Got this scam call today and the caller ID on the incoming call showed DIRECTV
I spent 30 minutes on the phone trying to inform them got transferred around and finally sent to a line that did not get answered

Message 128 of 432
Tutor

They had my name address phone number and directv account number and the caller I'd come up with DIRECTV name and number
So yes they should be warning us
And show an interest in solving the scam
Message 129 of 432
Teacher

And that's one of the reasons why I'm leaving them.
Message 130 of 432
ACE - Expert

A 2nd part of this issue is the name that shows on caller ID. Name and number can be spoofed by apps out there so you get false info on the Caller ID. I feel there should be more preventative measures against Caler ID being spoofed, but that is out of the control of companies like Directv.

No, AT&T/Directv is not selling information to people in order to scam you. Information is shared with legitimate business partners to sell you products and services. If a crook gets info from a business partner of AT&T/Directv and AT&T/Directv is unaware that info got out initially from a legitimate source, how are they supposed to warn anybody?

If any info is "leaked" from those who rightly have the info, I hope they find where it came from so they can make changes to lock it down as well as being able to warn anybody who was affected. But remember, many cons are good about getting info from you (like pretending to already know the info causing you to give out to them without thinking) without getting access to inside information from a company.

So if you receive a call/email from a company, best thing to do is contact the company by their official phone number or website that is publicly listed to verify legitimate options. Remember it is not AT&T/Directv who are at fault, but the crooks pretending to be them. So blame the crooks instead.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(Included after every post)
I am a customer, not an employee. This is a public forum.
For official support call DirecTV 1-800-531-5000 or AT&T 1-800-288-2020.
Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 131 of 432
Anonymous
Not applicable

why directv cannot send email to customer about promotion that there is no such promotion that include amazon gift car and all premier channels in lower price

And even why amazon cannot make a sticky note on its gift card page that don't buy for directv promotion there is such promotion....

Message 132 of 432
Anonymous
Not applicable

why directv cannot send email to customer about promotion that there is no such promotion that include amazon gift car and all premier channels in lower price

And even why amazon cannot make a sticky note on its gift card page that don't buy for directv promotion there is such promotion....

Message 133 of 432
Contributor

I get the spoofing thing, and that is an excellent explanation for the number coming up as DTV's...but that does not in any way explain how these folks actually have account info before they call...that is quite disconcerting and alarming, and would indicate to me that there is either an unknown, or unreported data breach, or that it's being headed up by someone with access to such information. I never volunteered any info and even asked them what package I had, what my current payment was, as well as how long I've been a customer...of which he answered quickly and accurately. I recommend anyone dealing with this to change their passwords and security settings on their DTV/AT&T accounts because they are linked together in many cases. I too find it quite concerning that DTV/AT&T are not issuing any scam alerts with an issue that has been occurring quite frequently since October of 2016. There is no excuse whatsoever that would exonerate them from that responsibility to protect their customers...and it lends fuel to the fire for someone to believe that they are complicit...common sense 101.

I got the first call earlier this week and told them to call back later in the week, which they did earlier this evening. The deal was to pay 4 months upfront at the promotional rate of $59.99/month, which he said came to $240.00...my math says $239.96...I guess they just round up in the Philippines and forget about the tax, lol. They didn't bring up the purchase of the amazon gift card until the end...and then sweetened the pot with a $100.00 Visa card if I paid by 10pm tonight. The whole time it sounded too good to be true...$100.00 a month off my current bill for 2 years for the same programming I already have plus a Visa gift card? I immediately pulled a search and found multiple complaints about this scam. This is serious stuff even if you don't fall for it...someone has valuable personal information and from there who knows where it can lead. Also worthy of mention here is the fact that my scammers were of Asian descent as evidenced in their dialects, but they spoke very good English...much better than the real call center employees...and they are quite well rehearsed and prepared. They end their calls with the same finishes that real AT&T/DTV rep's use. In other words they are very, very good so beware!!! 

Message 134 of 432
Mentor

Yep. My info was given to these people. And directv will not take responsibility for one of their real reps actually telling me that I had to take any special offer straight from the telemarketer. This is what pushed me to fall for it. Directv does not care. I get passed on from supervisor to supervisor and eventually disconnected. Long time customer.. and my loyalty to this company is shot. Looking for the first good opportunity to jump ship. I did not take Accept this offer right away. I called diRectv to ask why they were blowing up my phone. Their response wasn't to warn me.. but to take it.
Message 135 of 432
Share this topic
Share this topic
Announcements

If your DIRECTV account has recently moved into myAT&T, let us help you manage your DIRECTV account in myAT&T.

Additional Support