Explore & discover

Helpful Links

Re: My Directv account information was compromised.

direct tv/Amazon scam

On Oct. 6, 2016 I was contacted by an Indian sounding person from 1-888-*** saying he was with Direct TV.

Long story short he was offering me reduced monthly rates on my Direct TV bill and I would get premium channels, and NFL Sundays for 2 years.  Said it was a promotion with Direct TV and Amazon.  They were promoting Amazon Gift Cards and if I paid 5 months up front with an Amazon gift card within in 24 hours I would receive a $100 Visa gift card as well.

Originally I agreed, his supervisor came on line to record and verify the agreement.

I was given, what he said was the billing department for Direct TV (1-888-***) and an authorization code to use when I called after purchasing the Amazon gift card.

I got on line and contacted AT&T at 1-800-531-5000 since I am bundled with them.  The girl in billing assured me this was a scam, but she had never heard of it before.  I suggested she contact her supervisor or someone.

I got on line and searched Direct TV/Amazon scams and found this scam had been going on since February!

Why does Direct TV / AT&T not notify their customer and employees of this scam?

This scam is well implemented, to good to be true or not!  Get off you butts and inform your customers!

[Edited to comply with Guidelines]

Message 1 of 432
Contributor

Re: direct tv/Amazon scam

I too was victim of this Amazon/Direct TV Scam in November o f 2016.  Before I got the $300 Amazon gift card, I called the Direct Billing Department & gave them the promotion code to verify.  Direct TV rep took the promotion code & stated it was a true promotion.  I called a week later to verify my current bill & Direct TV rep confirmed the $59.95 monthly amount. I called the rewards department to verify the $100 gift card & they confirmed.   Now, my current bill has not changed, I called Direct TV/AT&T & they are stating they don't know nothing about the Amazon promotion code.  It seems like someone on the inside is a part of this scam.  As long as this has been going on, Direct TV/ AT&T should have notified their customers. 

How can we get credit for the $300 loss. 

Has anyone gotten any time of re-embrusment?

Message 31 of 432
Contributor

All,

This just happened to us and it was from DirecTV, it was the same contacts who sent us boxes after we cancelled service and moved to Spectrum.  Who else would know that we had cancelled besides DirecTV?  

Would still like to get TV, Internet and Phone from AT&T, but this is a major problem for AT&T.

Just look at the amount of feedback with a simple google search......

AT&T complaints.png

Message 32 of 432
Contributor

No, I think it is the right tree.  I just set up a move from one location to another.  Within an hour I recieved a call from "Direct TVs promotion department" it the same offer.  Being suspicious by nature, I found it was a scam.  The caller new everything about my account, including the move.  I did not even know about the information more than an hour before, how did he get it an hour later?  Direct TV has a leak, they need to plug it.

Message 33 of 432
Contributor

I just had the same scam call and the caller had my information as well, and wanted a $320.00 Amazon gift card for payment to lower my monthly bill. There has to be a leak or insider from Directv. I just got an upgrade to my service Saturday and the scam call comes in Monday evening. Directv/AT&T needs to get in front of these scams. I almost fell for it but am very happy I called the real number to check it out and then found this forum as well. Spread the word everyone.

Message 34 of 432
ACE - Expert

As stated before anytime they ask for a gift card or any other untraceable method of payment it is a scam!!! It is always possible that the call centers are keeping or selling your info more likely the foreign ones.

Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 35 of 432
Contributor

On Jan 10, 2017, I was contacted by an Indian sounding person from 1-888-*** saying he was with Direct TV.  Now I have been scammed before so, I feel like I have a good read on the scammers out there...but as stated from others they had all of my information...down to my street address and it's a new address...I asked to speak with a supervisor because the person on the line sounded like they were from out of the country...Yes, I was looking for a deal...if I paid $350 today I would get 5 months with no payments and locked in at $69.99 for 2 years...so, I had a friend of mine to look this up and see if Amazon and Direct TV have a promo going on...and what did we find that yes...The only issue I had was the gift card for payment...but they had an answer to that also...due to the merger they were promoting Amazon gift cards...plus the $100 visa gift care...bonus...they said it will show up on my bill within 48 hours...so, on the 18th I'm looking to see if my bill is updated with the information...not only is it not updated it still reflects a balance due like soon...I called the billing department for DTV and he advises me that he has no knowledge of a payment on that date...now I'm mad and I start looking deeper on line while I'm on the phone with him...plus I still had all of the other numbers because I always write things down...we even called the other number again...what it's DTV...customer service, billing everything...and someone is answering the phone...but they put you on hold...never to return...

I spoke with a DTV supervisor and she put in a ticket...with more to come within 72 hours...I will make sure and post what happens...but I'm not stopping there...I'm posting on my facebook account and other online sites...this is getting crazy...I work very hard for the little bit of money I get...

[Edited to comply with Guidelines]

Message 36 of 432
Contributor

I also received a call on January 25, 2017 and the person representing DirectTV had all my account information without me giving any information. They asked that I purchase an Amazon gift card in the amount of $300.00 to pay for 6 month promotional deal between DirectTV and Amazon. Once I paid upfront, my monthly service fee would be $59.99 from DirectTV. They even described the card they wanted me to purchase from Amazon. They used the number 1-800-531-5000 to call from. Then they gave me another number 1-888-765-3109 ext 1 to call DirectTV billing department once I purchased the Amazon gift card. My promotion code was DTV-8013. I called AT&T and they are not aware of such a deal. I do not understand why an email has not been generated and sent out to AT&T/DirectTV customers to make them aware of such a scam. 

Message 37 of 432
Contributor

I received this call this morning too.   I almost fell for it.  They also called from the same 800-531-5000 and gave me the 888-765-3109 ext 1 to call back once I bought the Amazon gift card for $320 and then my bill would reduce to $79.99.  They also gave me a promo code. Luckily I decided to do some research first and found this forum and then spoke to Direct Tv customer service.  They did confirm this was a scam and have received other calls about it.

Message 38 of 432
ACE - Expert

It is easy to spoof phone numbers so again any time they ask you to send money by a untraceable method like gift cards Western Union, Moneygram IT IS A SCAM HANG UP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 39 of 432
Tutor

My sentiments exactly! So AT&T / Direct TV, know nothing of this scam,
they don't send any emails warning their customers, but they set up a forum
such as this one for us to air our views, but do absolutely bugger all
about it! Go figure. Once my contract is up, I'm out a here!
Message 40 of 432
Tutor

I got scammed also lost 300.00 by using amazon ecard it was to late to cancel ecard as it was already cashed att/direct tv are aware of problem and should alerted subscribers through tv information.

Message 41 of 432
ACE - Expert

I know we would all want warning when we receive a scam. Problem is, someone calling pretending to be from Directv is not a brand new idea. This happens to countless companies with similar, if not the exact same scams. Think of any junk/spam emails you get. Some of them are pretty obvious to spot that they are scams, but there are too many out there for a company to try and notify every person out there about every single one.

So the company (in this case Directv) showcases their service in a simple manner where they advertise service and have you contact them (on website or calling) which is publically listed. Like most service companies I am aware of (tv, phone, internet, monthly cellphone) they will only accept normal verifiable and traceable forms of payment. So anyone getting a call "pay me by ecard/gift card (electronic equivalent of handing cash instead of debit/credit or check) and I will give you this special later" is like getting an email "I need to get money out of this country quick, you seem like good person, pay me transfer taxes and I will make you rich".

So we as customers, or potential customers, need to due our due diligence when receiving "offers." In the end, it is our responsibility to be vigilant.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(Included after every post)
I am a customer, not an employee. This is a public forum.
For official support call DirecTV 1-800-531-5000 or AT&T 1-800-288-2020.
Message 42 of 432
Contributor

I had the same experience as the others on this blog with the DirecTV/AT&T promotional phone call.  Fortunately, I searched and found this blog before I committed any money.  I reported my experience to the FCC, and encourage the fellow bloggers to do so as well. You can do it on-line. 

Message 43 of 432
Contributor

My Directv account information was compromised.

I want to know how to formally report this.  There is no email contact information for Directv.

The scammers harrassed me with numerous phone calls, had my name, phone number, Directv account/program information and my home address.  I'm EXTREMELY unhappy.  I do not want to sit on hold on a phone call, or be transferred from agent to agent.  They were offering me a $59 per month deal, for 2 years with all the premium channels if I pre-paid with an Amazon gift card.  I didn't do any of it because I recognized it as a scam, BUT, I want to report it and I want Directv to fix whatever security breach they have in their system.

Thank you.

Message 44 of 432
Highlighted
ACE - Expert

Re: My Directv account information was compromised.

Definitely great you recognized it as a scam. Essentially a spin-off of the classic email "I need to get huge money out of country, you pay me transfer fee/taxes and I pay you back much more" idea. To upfront pay, especially by methods that are not easily traceable (gift cards) if at all, to get a discount is a big red flag.

Correct Directv does not use traditional email for support. If you don't want to call, you can either use the online chat, or send a private message to @ATTDIRECTVCare which is basically an internal email through your forum account instead of to/from your personal email, though your email does get a notice when you have a new private message waiting. Finally there is the corresondence address on your monthly statement if you would prefer to write in.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(Included after every post)
I am a customer, not an employee. This is a public forum.
For official support call DirecTV 1-800-531-5000 or AT&T 1-800-288-2020.
Message 45 of 432
Share this topic
Share this topic
Announcements

If your DIRECTV account has recently moved into myAT&T, let us help you manage your DIRECTV account in myAT&T.

Additional Support