Explore & discover

Helpful Links

Why must I pay for so many channels when I only watch a few?

Highlighted
Contributor

Why must I pay for so many channels when I only watch a few?

We watch a total of 12 channels in my 160 channel package!  Why should I be forced to pay for 148 channels I do not watch?   Plus to all those shop at home junk channels!  I bet they are part of my 160 channel package!  There are 2 more channels I would love to get but I would have to pay for the highest priced package. I think another $ 30 a month more!  This makes no sense to me.  I do not have a dvr and don't want one.  When I watch a program there are up to 14 minutes of commercials in a 30 minute program.  I usually fall asleep listening to those same commercials over and over and over.  If I hear "Liberty, Liberty, Liberty one more time a may put a shoe threw my tv set!  There are so many commercials on in a row I usually fall asleep and don't make it to the end of the show I was trying to watch!  What is this industry coming to?   To many Judge Judy's making $ 45,000,000 a year!  greed, all greed     thanks for your time.  dan in Pa.

Message 1 of 3
ACE - Expert
Solution
Accepted by ACE - Expert (ACE - Expert)
Accepted by litzdog911
‎03-06-2019 10:47 AM

Re: Why must I pay for so many channels when I only watch a few?

Because that's the TV Service Provider business model works.  Most of the major networks force providers like Comcast, Dish and DirecTV to provide a bundle of channels as part of their contracts.  Providers do their best to mitigate the costs by creating various package tiers at different price points.  While customers would prefer "a la carte" channels -- picking just the channels they want -- the major networks won't let providers do that.  This is why more and more are folks are turning to streaming services where they can better tailor just the shows/networks that they want to see.  

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Tags (1)
Message 2 of 3
ACE - Expert

Re: Why must I pay for so many channels when I only watch a few?

Since the networks force a package business model upon the TV providers, best that can be done is to make sure you are in the best fitting package. Many people find themselves in too high a package because they refuse to consider changing to a lower package that would still have most if not all the preferred channels they watch.

To compare the main packages: https://support.directv.com/dtv-programming/4448

For the their lowest package Family: https://www.directv.com/DTVAPP/compare/printablePackageChannels.jsp?packageId=960004&referrer=https:...

They also have Preferred Xtra which is a couple dollars less than Xtra in base cost, but since it has no RSNs the RSN fee goes away which lowers the bill further, which in the end makes total cost similar as if you had the Choice package. Adds in a few non-sport channels and even Hallmark Movies & Mysteries. Nice option for those that watch little to no sports. Have to call DirecTV as it is a special package, perhaps only available in their retention department as some front line agents claim to have no knowledge of this package.

Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Tags (1)
Message 3 of 3
Share this topic
Share this topic
Additional Support