Explore & discover

Helpful Links

Why does the Win Back Department lie to customers? Why am I not allowed to speak to a supervisor?

Contributor

Why does the Win Back Department lie to customers? Why am I not allowed to speak to a supervisor?

I cancelled my service in August because it was becoming costly and was contacted by the Win Back Department shortly thereafter and offered the Entertainment Package, NFL Sunday Ticket and a $200 Visa gift card to come back. It would cost $74.99 during football season and $24.99 thereafter. Sunday Ticket was not free, only reduced. By November, I still had not received a gift card so I contacted Rewards and was told it hadn't been processed properly and that they would send it out immediately. Ten days later, I called to check in and was told that no such gift card existed, I wasn't eligible for any such promotion, and that there was no record of my previous calls. I was then transferred to another department and told the same thing - without even an acknowledgment that I had been promised this gift card. Each representative just nonchalantly said "You aren't eligible for that". I ended up being on the phone for over an hour and ultimately cancelled my services in disgust - which took another half hour. 

The following Sunday, my husband decided he didn't care about the gift card as much as he cared about the Steelers game. He contacted the Win Back department again and said just give us the package we had before, we don't care about the gift card, and please sign us up before the games start. He was on for 90 minutes, during which they repeatedly told him the best package we could have was $109. Finally, they said that they could do $109 for the first month and $74.99 for the following months. He asked for this in writing via email and was told no. He asked them (THREE TIMES) over speaker phone so that I could hear it, to review our services and the cost and was told it was the Entertainment Package and NFL Sunday Ticket for $109 the first month and $74.99 the following months. He again requested an email summary and was refused. He agreed anyway. 

An hour later, our service was connected and there was no NFL Sunday Ticket. He called in again and was told that we are not signed up for that. We are signed up for regular cable, no Sunday Ticket, at $109 per month. In what universe would we ever agree to such a deal? He was told there were no notes to indicate that we were getting Sunday Ticket. After argument, he was told that the rep DID see the notes saying we should get Sunday Ticket, but that the Win Back representative had not actually signed us up, so they couldn't do anything for us. They'd have to charge us another $30-$40 per month. He said - this was literally an hour ago, how can you tell us that what we were promised an hour ago is not possible? He asked for a supervisor and was refused.  

I called the Loyalty Department. She told me she didn't see the notes, and then said she did see the notes and then told me: 1. That there was nothing she could do, 2. That there was nothing the Win Back department could do because now we are technically existing customers, 3. That there was nothing a supervisor could do, and 4. That there was nothing that Billing could do.   I asked her why I had been blatantly lied to by the Win Back Department TWICE in three months and if there is anyone I can speak to about it. She said it was a miscommunication and they couldn't fix it. 

After googling this issue, it seems that this is a now a trend at DirecTv. The Win Back department knowingly tells lies and convinces customers to return, with no promise of ever following through. This is actually fraud. I have filed a complaint with the FCC at this point. But I think that after years of being a loyal customer, I deserve the opportunity to speak with a supervisor about this issue and to have someone actually address this. It's a really serious issue. I want to know why this department is lying to customers? Why were we repeatedly denied the opportunity to speak to supervisors? Why weren't our concerns addressed despite notes in the account showing what services we were supposed to have? 

Message 1 of 5
Former Employee

Re: Why does the Win Back Department lie to customers? Why am I not allowed to speak to a supervisor

Hello @cdymond15

For starters the NFL Sunday ticket only comes free in the Choice package or above. Secondly Winback is an outbound department with no inbound lines. If you called 1800.531.5000 you would have only talked to a general salesmen. 

Once you cancel DTV to be eligible for the Winback service again you need to be without service for 2 weeks at a minimum.  

RewardCard.jpgWere you offered a DIRECTV Reward? Wondering how to redeem it?

1. Visit our Rebate Center.
  2. Sign In
  3. Redeem Your Reward

Did you get Internet service?  

You may need to redeem your Internet Reward here.

Other Rewards

• If you were offered other rewards for AT&T services not listed here, please visit our Reward Center.
  • If you were offered a reward from BJ's, Costco, Best Buy, Fred Meyer, Fry's, Menards, Nebraska Furniture Mart, Sam's Club, Target & Walmart and you have not received it? Call 1-855-577-1871 for assistance.

Why didn't I receive a Reward? 

• If your reward has expired, you are no longer qualified to redeem it. Unfortunately the community team is unable to assist with items of this nature.
  • You must order new DIRECTV service with an eligible plan.
  • A contract may be required. 
  • Some rewards require qualifying credit.
If this reply helped you please use Accept solution to mark it as an Accepted Solution.
Message 2 of 5
Contributor

Re: Why does the Win Back Department lie to customers? Why am I not allowed to speak to a supervisor

I also thought I was just speaking to the Loyalty department, but upon trying to resolve both issues, I was told that I had spoken to Win Back. If that isn't the case, it's just another instance where a rep told me something that just was not true. 

The latest representative did tell me that NFL Sunday Ticket wasn't available with the package we got. It wasn't actually offered to us for free, it was offered at a discount. Either way, the person who originally offered it to us reiterated three times that we were getting the Entertainment Package with NFL Sunday Ticket. And then 20 minutes later, a different rep told us "That's in the notes, but he didn't actually do it so we have to charge you more" 

I don't know if we were offered a rebate or reward. I just know it was to be a $200 Visa gift card. The follow up call confirmed it. And then the third call (months later) said that we weren't eligible. Basically, every person we speak to tell us something vastly different, with some making us great offers, signing us up, and then everyone else saying that those offers can't be honored and that nothing can be done. 

Message 3 of 5
Former Employee

Upon installation, you have within 30 days to claim your giftcard. Once 1 second clicks past the 30 days you are no longer eligible for that giftcard. The confirmation email would have had directions on how to claim it telling you to visit the reward center. If you waited months and months for it without visiting the site and inputting the details the card is gone without anyway to restore it.

If this reply helped you please use Accept solution to mark it as an Accepted Solution.
Message 4 of 5
Contributor

Pretty much having a similar problem. Except I was able to get one of the operators to give me the reference number for the transaction that show a notation that I have been promised a 300$ gift card... we were offered it after shutting off service due to bad info.. and they gave us bad info to get us back in. 

Still haven't been able to get them to fix it... and I've talked to 15 people and told the story 15 times. Ive been transferred to department that are closed. Its frustrating that you can't get back to the people that were helping you.

Its the worst. so much wasted time. not really worth the $300, but I guess thats what they are counting on.

Message 5 of 5
Share this topic
Share this topic
Additional Support