Explore & discover

Helpful Links

Why So Hard...

Highlighted
Contributor

Why So Hard...

We moved, I called to cancel my service 12/4/18. The representative suggested that I "suspend the account rather than cancel, in case, at the new address I would use same service? I agreed. I called on 12/31 to cancel the service having found ATT Uverse (same company) was best rather than the satellite service I used for over 6 years. The representative seemed new or confused and had trouble entering my information. I only called to 1) cancel service 2) learn where/how to return the equipment. I was told emails would follow with those instructions. None came, but a series of emails seemingly suggested my service was going to be reactivated and later an email "regretfully disconnecting". Still no info as to how to return but a curious new balance due of $91+ . I called again, today 1/2/19 to insure the correct actions were being taken and again trying to find out where to return my equipment. I learned from this representative that my account had been re-activated and then disconnected. I asked for a copy of the bill so I could insure the "mistaken reactivation" had no impact on my balance due. She said she would me a copy of the bill via email...what I got was a link to sign on and access my bill but as the account was discontinued "no account found". So, I don't know where nor how to return the equipment, I don't know if my balance is correct or not, and I have little faith in anyone who answers the phone in your customer service department. Now I wonder if my new service has been canceled by mistake. I guess I will figure that out when I get home tonight. A satellite customer for 6+ years[edited for privacy – please do not post personal information]and a new customer via your Uverse cable service. However, not happy with either owing to this weird and frustrating lack of clear instructions and actions on your staff's part. I was very clear about what I wanted to do...I am sure they are trained to retain accounts but in my circumstance, it seems your protocols are in conflict. I just want a clean bill, clear instructions where/how to return the old equipment. Two calls (one 20 minutes, the second 27 minutes) stop stealing my time, just HELP!!!

Message 1 of 13
ACE - Expert

Re: Why So Hard...

You take your account info and the receivers to a participating UPS/FedEx store provided DTV wants them back, only the HR44/54 Genie and the HS17 Genie2 and the H25 and the C41,51,C61 minis are returnable.

Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 2 of 13
Contributor

I am having similar experiences with not receiving return instructions, though they claim to be emailing them.  After repeated calls, the last rep did tell me all I had to do was drop off the equipment at any UPS or FedEx location along with my account number.  However, I have the very old dvr's (HR-24s) so I asked if I even had to go thru the trouble of returning them.  They told me they would email me the list of equipment that they wanted back, but that has yet to come.  If it turns out that the really don't want the dvr's back, if I keep them can I still view what I have recorded on them without an account and access card?

Message 3 of 13
ACE - Professor

You can't view the recordings on an inactive DVR especially with no access card which holds the authorization 

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 4 of 13
ACE - Expert

@restonjh

HR24s are not very old as they are the most recent regular HDDVR. However they were made non-returnable as DirecTV is moving to SWM only equipment which is any "Genie" (except 1st generation HR34 and C31) and the most recent HD non-DVR (H25). I disagree with that change as they did not come out with a regular SWM only HDDVR and instead seem to be going in the direction of a Client only system. The remaining hope is that after a sufficient number of people have gone to the Genie, or the Genie-2 (ugh), they will release a HDDVR that is SWM only, but there is nothing from DirecTV about doing so.

Unfortunately the email that gets sent out just lists the general return procedures. It does not check against what models are currently returnable. The agent could have easily looked that up, but too many choose not to (assumedly to keep their call times low).

You cannot watch recordings on any DVR that is not active with DVR service. So when deactivated the box cannot get the permissions to do anything. You don't pay for DVR service, you cannot use DVR anything.

Message 5 of 13
ACE - Expert
Solution
Accepted by topic author
Accepted by BBoyerIV
‎01-14-2019 9:18 AM

@BBoyerIV

Unfortunately DirecTV's system does not allow them to go straight from a suspension to a disconnect. So agent would have to reactive service, then cancel. My understanding is agents are required to make a retention offer and so they need the account active to work with whatever offers you might qualify for. As long as disconnect is same day, instead of being scheduled for another day, any partial charges from reactivation would credit back. This is how it has worked for DirecTV, but that might change in the future as AT&T has been moving accounts from the DirecTV only system to a new system (RC1) that integrates with other AT&T systems.

After the last day of service, their system generates a new bill that you should receive within a few days confirming and final balance owed or credit balance to be refunded. The following month you get a courtesy statement showing payment received or refund issued, so that you have confirmation the balance is zeroed out. Unfortunately online access is turned off when account is canceled so there is not a way to see final bill online.

Tags (1)
Message 6 of 13
Tutor

This is sort of on/off topic, but I have purchased many movies on my DirecTV service and was wondering what happens when I decide to cancel? Do I get a refund? How do I get to keep these movies I paid for?

Message 7 of 13
ACE - Expert

@Thecrane wrote:

This is sort of on/off topic, but I have purchased many movies on my DirecTV service and was wondering what happens when I decide to cancel? Do I get a refund? How do I get to keep these movies I paid for?

No keeping, no refund. This new "purchase" option is essentially a PPV with no expiration date. So thought it doesn't auto delete, it still requires DirecTV equipment and service to watch it.

The alternative is recording to a VCR or recordable DVD player (non-HD option) the traditional way.

Message 8 of 13
Contributor

I was told that anything recorded on your DVR required you to maintain your account with directv. However, I found that I was able to watch recorded shows after my account was closed and I had no satellite connected to the DVR. If I had opted to not return the DVR to get credit for it, I could have continued to use my DVR to this day as a movie storage device. Just leave it connected to your system as an auxiliary piece of equipment, like a DVD player.
Message 9 of 13
ACE - Expert

@restonjh wrote:
I was told that anything recorded on your DVR required you to maintain your account with directv. However, I found that I was able to watch recorded shows after my account was closed and I had no satellite connected to the DVR. If I had opted to not return the DVR to get credit for it, I could have continued to use my DVR to this day as a movie storage device. Just leave it connected to your system as an auxiliary piece of equipment, like a DVD player.

No, that's only true for a limited time. Eventually the DVR will stop playing its recordings since it's not getting authorization via the satellite data stream. That amount of time can vary from a few days to a few weeks. 

Message 10 of 13
ACE - Expert

@restonjh wrote:

You don't get credit for returning a DVR. If you don't return a DVR you get charged a non-return fee. But only if it is a returnable model of course.

As for the recordings, when the service was turned off the box should have received an updated on the service authorizations that it was no longer active. If you unplugged it before it turned off, then it hasn't auto-checked the authorizations yet. So the recordings 'might' work for a short time. But as soon as the box tries to get authorizations and fails, then everything is gone.

Message 11 of 13
Contributor

I guess technically i didn’t get a refund for returning my dvr. However, directv didn’t give me credit for stopping my service until they received the dvr. They did warn me that I would be charged a fee if the dvr was not returned.

I did have the dvr disconnected before canceling my service, so no kill signal was received. However, i was able to view recordings for at least one month after disconnecting. So are you saying that there is some programming within the dvr that if it cannot communicate with directv for x number of days, the recordings get deleted? If so i wonder what that period of time is? It was not 30+ days in my experience. I did notice that the access card had to be in the dvr or nothing worked.
Message 12 of 13
ACE - Expert

They are not deleted just that the DVR doesn't work after it doesn't receive the activation code. No one knows how often the receivers get the code.

Message 13 of 13
Share this topic
Share this topic
Additional Support