Explore & discover

Helpful Links

Who regulates Directv and how do I file a complaint?

Tutor

Who regulates Directv and how do I file a complaint?

I have a lot of problems with Directv. It all started about 2 months ago. I pay the extra $8.99 for the protection plan monthly and I needed service. I called and set an appointment. Directv did a NO CALL NO SHOW. I called and they sent someone out a day or two later I don’t remember exactly. So a few days later the dish was messing up again. I called and got another appointment for 07/26/2018. Another NO CALL NO SHOW. They said they couldn’t get to me till 08/11/2018 another 16 days. Guess what happened on 08/11/2018…Another NO CALL NO SHOW  3 times NO CALL NO SHOW !!! I am sitting here paying for this garbage equipment and crappy service. I’m done !!! I called Dish Net on 08/12/2018 and they are coming out 08/14/2018 to remove this Junk and put in a new system. My SO Ronda is disabled and is in bed most of the day. This is important to her. So I am sitting here paying for “service” that don’t work plus the extra “Protection Plan fee” and they will not keep an appointment and they want to charge me for early termination for 3 months ($60.00). This is "Bravo Sierra" if you know what I mean. Not only do I want the 3 month early termination fee waived…............  I WANT A REFUND !!!  

Tags (2)
Message 1 of 51
Tutor

Re: Who regulates Directv and how do I file a complaint?

I cancelled the auto-renew of Sunday Ticket a week after the 2018 Superbowl.  I got billed for it anyway!  I have recorded 6, count that SIX, phone calls to direct Tv to take this off my bill.  As of this morning, I was still being charged.  

I was also "GUARANTEED" a 24 month price lock.  After 12 months the price doubled.  I can't get anyone to assist me. I've spent over 9 hours on the phone and being switched from department to department.  Still not resolved. I just want them to take their lousy equipment and let me get on with my life!  Attorney- Kathleen A. Engelman

Message 16 of 51
ACE - Expert

Removing Sunday Ticket should have just been one call and done. Unfortunately that can only be resolved through calling Directv. Once removed, the adjustment for all billed installments shows on the next bill produced. However in my experience, the adjustments will show on the account within about 48hrs so could be verified through checking your account online well before the next bill comes out.

Directv intro promotions are for 12 months as both the order confirmation you receive before install and your monthly bill shows. Regardless of what any sales person says, what Directv sends you as official confirmation is what you are accepting upon signing off on the install and activation. Too many people go just by what is "said" or that they understood was being said without reading the paperwork to verify. Unless the order confirmation show you were getting discounts for 24 months, not 12, then there is nothing you can do there.

Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 17 of 51
ACE - Expert

DTV doesn't work that way, first you cancel you account then take the receivers to a participating UPS/FedEx store to return them you own everything else, no will come to pick it up.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 18 of 51
Tutor

I have an order confirmation that says 24 months with a 2nd qualifying AT&T service.  The salesperson told me my 3 separate phones would qualify me - we do not have AT&T internet in our area.

I did CALL DTV about removing the Sunday Pass - at last count I called six times.  I Chatted twice.  Just now I think I finally got the 2nd month I was overcharged for removed.  But this has taken 8 hours of my life.  I am an attorney. I always read what I sign. I read the terms and was told by AT&T my phones would qualify me for 24 months. I really should be able to trust DTV's partner in crime!  It sound like you are saying Buyer Beware.

I will be on BBB and NEXTDOOR.COM

Message 19 of 51
ACE - Expert

Yes what you went through is not how removal of NFL Sunday Ticket should have gone. Agent trying to find a way to convince you to keep it another season is one thing, but having to call multiple times to get it removed is outrageous. First agent should have removed it which causes system to auto credit any installments already charged, which you see confirmed on the following bill. Don't know if issue was with agents or something going on with the system that caused the removal not to complete. Hopefully it is actually fully removed and the last agent didn't just put a one-time credit on the account as a temporary fix.

You would have to discuss with Directv to verify your account meets the full qualifications of the 24 month offer. Even if you do qualify and they have to correct it, the special is for a 24 month discount on the base package, not the entire bill. If the order confirmation shows the discount is for 24 months, not simply the service agreement (as that is just how long to keep Directv or be billed an early cancellation fee), then Directv either needs to correct the promotion in the system or go over what about your setup did not qualify you for the 24 month special.

I don't know about "Buyer Beware", but I simply say as a customer myself, that anyone starting a new service (Directv or otherwise) should read their order confirmation and bills and not just go by what a salesperson says. If you read through them then you are ahead of the curve as too many people don't and cannot understand that the paperwork is the final say as that is what they sign off on.

Message 20 of 51
Associated Member

There are multiple requirements on that 24 months promotional rate.

It is so easy to look for those requirements information and it is stated very clearly on what those requirements are. DTV agents should be able to do those very easily.

Just call 800-531-5000 or go chat to ask and check what those requirements are.

*I am a trusted partner that is associated with AT&T, and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 21 of 51
Tutor

I beg to differ Thomas.  I see you work for them and therefore may be defensive.  I have invested 9 HOURS in simply trying to get them to remove the Sunday Pass.  Over and over I've called and was told it was removed, only to see it again on the bill, and no credit for the prior 2 months of charges for it.

And AT&T reps should NOT be telling their clients that the pre-pay phone plans will get them the 24 month locked price guarantee.  I was told this.  I had an installer for Direct TV out to my house before the contract even arrived.  

So please don't talk so condescendingly to someone you don't even know, nor do you know the extent of time and frustration I have had to deal with in the past with Direct TV.  Your attitude only further confirms my belief that Direct TV is all about getting people's money by tricking them into a low entry plan, then hiking the price, and then making it next to impossible to cancel.  I finally was told they were sending me shipping boxes.  

You also make it sound like calling the support line is easy.  I have been switched between departments, cut off, sent to wrong departments, and left on hold for 30 minutes at a time.  Just since Friday, I have had 4 hours of phone time with them!!!!   

Go back to work and treat some more customers like they don't matter.  See how quickly your company hits the dirt. 
I have blasted my complaints to 7,600 people on Nextdoor.com.  Not one of the over 100 responses had anything nice to say about DTV!  So many people have sworn off DTV and will never use them again.  Good luck hanging onto your job.

Message 22 of 51
ACE - Expert

Order confirmation is emailed within minutes of order being placed. An install should not happen before that is received.

Directv has not sent shipping boxes to return equipment since essentially last year. AT&T changed the process around the turn of the year to where you take any returnable boxes to a 'participating' FedEx or UPS (not USPS) location for your free return. So the Directv returns are now like how AT&T has done their returns.

Yes there are bad agents out there, or ones who need better training, just like any other company. But there are many good ones out there. Directv itself is not about tricking people. From my own experiences I would say a big part of the issue is agents from the AT&T side are still working on understanding the differences of how Directv works from what they are used to, as well any combined/bundle offers between AT&T and Directv services need to better explained to agents on both sides on the requirements. Yes the requirements may be reasonably spelled out, but for agents who take call after call after call, could use a little more time going over those so they can better set the expectation to us customers.

Message 23 of 51
Associated Member

So um... sorry if you think my statements were condescending. 

However, when I stated looking up those information on the 24 months promo as being very easy. I was referring to the agents' side. Based on my experience, those are very easy to check and give to the customers inquiring about the 24 month promo pricing.

Your post that I responded to did not state the type of phone subscription you got, prepaid or postpaid.

I mean if you can re-check my original post. My statements were, "It is so easy to look for those requirements information and it is stated very clearly on what those requirements are. DTV agents should be able to do those very easily."  were followed up by another supporting statement of, "Just call 800-531-5000 or go chat to ask and check what those requirements are." that directly implies the previous statement were referring to ATT/DTV agents ability to easy check those information.

*I am a trusted partner that is associated with AT&T, and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 24 of 51

Then act like you have been here before and act like you care about your customers!

Message 25 of 51

Sometimes t renewes even if canceled.

Obviously

Message 26 of 51

They didnt cancel mine either after they customer service told me they did. I have a conf. Number but it was not canceled. I also never received an email or junes bill when they overcharged me 94 bucks. They are still billing me and continue to bill me even aftet i canceled service with attdirectv.. i have a confirmation number for thar as well. Does not seem to matter to them

And call all you want to because that does not matter either.

Message 27 of 51
ACE - Expert

Contacts do not renew automatically. They go along with a promotion (move order, upgrade of equipment, 12 or 24 month discount, a rare programming such as free NFL Sunday Ticket for 1 season, etc). Also voluntarily suspending service, or being suspended for past due, affects an agreement date as the inactive time doesn't count towards it.

If an agreement extends outside of those above reasons, then the agreement would be in error and needs to be corrected by DirecTV.

Since this thread was untouched for a month, perhaps the prior poster got the situation resolved or at least the direction they needed.

Message 28 of 51
Tutor

My experience is the same as that of "Lawkat"  Still getting charged for Sunday Ticket two months after I called to cancel and they said it would be taken off.  Since then, multiple phone calls to try and get it resolved, being passed around from dept to dept and back again. 

In the meantime have gotten past due notices, all related to Sunday Ticket charges which they told me not to pay.  I called last week and the customer service rep assured me everything would be cleared up on the next bill.  I got that bill yesterday with yet another new charge for Sunday Ticket plus all the prior charges they said would be taken off.  Today they have turned my service off due to these past due charges, all because of Sunday Ticket (I have continued to pay my monthly service charge). 

The people can't figure out how to stop charging me for a service that I cancelled.  On top of that, when they assured they would look at my case and call me back they never did.   I can't imagine worse customer service.  

I have been with DirecTV 15 years.   I thought they always had good customer service.  Now with AT&T buying it, sending everything off-shore, their CS reps with the thick foreign accents and fake American names (e.g., "Rob", "Casey") have ruined it.   

Message 29 of 51
Former Employee

I have a thick accent from Australia and I assure you I live and work in the USA. It's a little bit racist assuming only Americans live in America.

As for your issue, call 1800.531.5000 - Voice prompt say "CANCEL". Talk to a Customer Loyalty Member, have them pull your account. Confirm you asked to be cancelled months ago, get paid back credit for those months. Don't take no for an answer. State you want a confirmation email while on the phone that its been cancelled.

If this reply helped you please use Accept solution to mark it as an Accepted Solution.
Message 30 of 51
Share this topic
Share this topic
Additional Support