Explore & discover

Helpful Links

What is Regional Sports Fee?

Highlighted
Contributor

What is Regional Sports Fee?

What does a regional Sports Fee cover and how long has it been in effect?

Message 1 of 15
ACE - Expert

Re: Billing charge

It's a required fee for any programming package that includes the sports channels.  Not just a DirecTV thing. 

It's been around for a few years now. 

For official support call DirecTV 1-800-531-5000 or AT&T 1-800-288-2020.
Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 2 of 15
ACE - Expert
Solution
Accepted by (Former Employee)
Accepted by lilricky
‎02-18-2017 5:05 PM

Regional Sports Fee has been around for years with TV providers. Covers the cost of the Regional Sports Networks, the channels for the professional teams in the market you live. With Directv it used to be included in the cost of the package, but a couple years ago rising costs of these networks put greatly different prices based on where you live. (i.e. Arizona about $2, in New York over $7).

The RSNs are in package Choice or above, unless you live in one of the few areas that has now RSN of their own. Alternatively, Directv came out with a new package which helps against this. Preferred Xtra is at a similar level to Xtra, and the only sports channels it has are ESPN and ESPN2. So there is no RSN fee as those channels are removed, is cheaper than Xtra in its base cost, and can be a minimal cost difference compared to Choice with the RSN fee.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(Included after every post)
I am a customer, not an employee. This is a public forum.
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Tags (1)
Message 3 of 15
ACE - Expert

Also Preferred Xtra adds in a few channels from the Ultimate level. So it is more bang for you buck if you watch little or no sports like in my home.

Message 4 of 15
Contributor

HOW DO I FIND OUT WHAT SPORTS CHANNELS ARE INCLUDED IN THE FEE

Message 5 of 15
ACE - Expert

@THOMAS1936

Go to www.directv.com/rsn and it will have you put in your zip code to see what RSNs and teams it covers.

Message 6 of 15
Contributor

I don't watch any sports.  I would like them removed as well as the charge.

Message 7 of 15
ACE - Expert

@croftstone, we're customers like you, so you'll have to call DirecTV to do that ....Support can be reached here: Contact DIRECTV

Message 8 of 15
ACE - Expert

@croftstone

The charge cannot simply be removed. You have to change to a package that does not include RSNs: Family, Select, Entertianment, Preferred Xtra.

If you are using channels needing Choice or above, then your best option is Preferred Xtra. You just need to call Directv to change this one, I believe because it does not showcase a lot of sports (which is one of Directv's biggest selling points).

Message 9 of 15
Contributor

I'm confused. If I have Choice which includes FOXSPORTSSOUTH I still have to pay almost $6 per month in RSN fees?
Message 10 of 15
ACE - Expert

@Demondeac wrote:
I'm confused. If I have Choice which includes FOXSPORTSSOUTH I still have to pay almost $6 per month in RSN fees?

Yes. 

Message 11 of 15
Contributor

So this is like an FCC mandated or tax?

Message 12 of 15
ACE - Expert

It is a regulatory fee, mandated by the professional sport leagues and teams. It used to be flat across the board, bundled into the package cost. But a couple years ago this was really shook up. Based on where you live the cost ranges from about $2 to over $7 per customer (or $0 if you live in a rare area with no RSNs). So Directv itemized it on the bill so people are covering for their specific region instead of sharing costs for out of region teams. It is also much more transparent on where some of the higher costs come from or if/when those costs change.

About the same time Directv came out with the package I mentioned Preferred Xtra. No RSNs so no RSN fee. Adds in some other channels that Xtra doesn't have, like HM&M Chiller and Boomerang. Couple dollars cheaper in base cost. For some because of the cost of their RSN fee, it becomes similar in price to Choice in the end but more bang for their buck. Personally I wish this package was available many years ago, and especially would like them to publicly advertise it instead of it being word of mouth.

Message 13 of 15
Contributor

This is a total rip off. We are being charged for something that we do not watch, participate in or sponsor. Was never told about the charge when we changed over to DIRECTV. I have been on the phone for over 1 hour on the phone with customer service (if you can call it that) spoke to 3 different people just to find out why this charge is mandatory.

I don't like being forced to pay for services I don't use.

Message 14 of 15
ACE - Expert

Other providers add the price in the cost of the package. Directv used to do it that way as well, but made changes to make it more transparent. If you do not watch the RSNs, but in a high enough package to have the fee, than I suggest calling them and requesting to change to the Preferred Xtra Package. It removes the RSN fee and is slightly cheaper than Xtra, while also provide more non sport channels. So more bang for your buck.

I changed to Preferred Xtra a while ago and have found it to be the sweet spot for my household. My only complaint is that it is not advertised, nor listed on the website. I assume this is because it does not showcase sports which is one of Directv's biggest selling points. Their service started as more for the high number of sports fans in the country, but I am glad they have another option finally aimed at those of us who watch little to no sports.

Message 15 of 15
Share this topic
Share this topic
Announcements

If your DIRECTV account has recently moved into myAT&T, let us help you manage your DIRECTV account in myAT&T.

Additional Support