Explore & discover

Helpful Links

What is Regional Sports Fee?

Highlighted
Contributor

What is Regional Sports Fee?

Can someine explain why we are being charged Regional Sports Fee - Charge  if we didn't order this or wasn't made aware of these charges before hand.

Message 1 of 65
ACE - Expert
Solution
Accepted by topic author
Accepted by Smithtsr
‎02-15-2017 5:35 AM

Re: Billing Question

RSN fee used to be included in the cost of the package. In the last couple of years per increase in RSN costs, and that they are not the same in each market, Directv was required to itemize them on the bill. The RSN fee is based on your address, just like your taxes, and is a regulatory fee Directv is required to have. Packages Choice or above which have the RSNs include the fee, unless you live in an area that does not have an RSN.

Also the new Preferred Xtra package is an alternative option than Xtra as it removes most sports channels including the RSNs, only keeping ESPN and ESPN2, while adding in a few channels from the next package up for little lower base cost than Xtra in addition to the savings of no RSN fee. This is for people who watch little to no sports like my household.

From Directv's Help Center:

"I noticed a “Regional Sports Fee” on my DIRECTV bill. Can you explain what it is?

At DIRECTV, we strive to bring you the best entertainment experience available. As part of an effort to manage rising programming costs, we are periodically compelled to review the channel lineups of some of our programming packages. In some ZIP codes, you may be subject to a nominal Regional Sports Fee. The Regional Sports Fee is a result of higher costs due to contractual obligations requiring us to offer multiple sports networks in select ZIP codes, or in rare instances, a single RSN that carries games from 4 or more teams. These local RSN(s) are included in most base packages, but there are some that do not include RSNs and are not subject to a Regional Sports Fee. The Regional Sports Networks that are in the Sports Pack add-on premium service are the additional RSNs outside of your local area (determined by your ZIP code) and not subject to this fee."

Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Tags (1)
Message 2 of 65
Contributor

what channels are covered under the regional sports fee ?

Message 3 of 65
ACE - Expert

@freibin, that depends on where you're located. 

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 4 of 65
ACE - Expert

To find out what your RSN channels are go to www.directv.com/rsn and it has you put in your zip code to check.

Message 5 of 65
Teacher

The tool says for me "... ZIP Code is not in any team's home territory". Why would I get billed the fee?

I received a letter dated May 2 stating that "you were accidentally billed the incorrect amount ... You'll see the credit within the next 2 billing cycles." The fee had started with my April bill.

Today the DirecTv rep said that ALL customers will get charged the fee unless they have a Preferred Package. I have the XTRA package. I'll look at the Preferred XTRA package as noted in this thread.

Message 6 of 65
Teacher

It appears that a Preferred XTRA package is not offered in my zip code. 

English Packages

Select                  Entertainment          Choice                  Xtra                         Ultimate                  Premiere 

$53 99 mo

$64 99 mo

$78 99 mo

$97 99 mo

$150 99 mo
Message 7 of 65
Employee

It is available to any customer:  it is a new package and doesn't show up on the website.  Call in to change.  The channels you will lose are all sports channels.  You would still have ESPN, ESPN 2, and Fox Sports 1.  Other channels you would gain are Boomerang, Chiller, El Rey, and Hallmark Movies and Mysteries. 

*I am an AT&T employee, and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 8 of 65
ACE - Expert

@justaperson1

Preferred Xtra has never been listed on the site (that I am aware of). My assumption is that is because it does not showcase sports, which is one of Directv's biggest selling points. It is $2 less than Xtra and no RSN fee. Call Directv to discuss it Support can be reached here: Contact DIRECTV

Also the Family package is not listed next to the others in the change option (it is the lowest after all at $29.99), but the channel lineup for it is on the website unlike Preferred Xtra.

The agent saying all customers will be charged the RSN fee was oversimplifying. It is only Choice and above unless you have Preferred Xtra or live in an area that has no RSN. Recently there was an error in RSN billing that Directv has been correcting, and from the RSN tool and Directv's letter shows you were one of the ones affected. Even if you don't have any RSN, Preferred Xtra is still a better package if you don't watch any sport channels besides ESPN and ESPN2.

Message 9 of 65
Teacher

Thanks for everyone's help.

I called DTV again today and the rep said that I would have to pay the fee under the Xtra Package. They did offer to switch me to the Preferred Xtra package and I did that. She also gave me credit for the past three month's fees. (I guess it does help to be a longtime customer.)

She listed the channels that are not in Preferred Xtra as 205, 207, 208, 212, 213, 215, 216, 217, 218, 221, 600, 602, 605, 610, 611, 618, and 677.

She said the channels included in Preferred Xtra are 206, 209, 219, 220, and 604. 

Message 10 of 65
ACE - Expert

Hmm so they added a few sports channel in, I did not get notice on that and I did confirm they are working.

You also get:

Boomerang 298

Chiller 257

Cloo 308

Hallmark Movies & Mysteries 565 (if you have HD service of course).

Message 11 of 65
Contributor

And what if I don't want sports?

Message 12 of 65
Contributor

If I don't watch sports, why do I still have to pay a sports fee?

Message 13 of 65
ACE - Expert

If you don't want sports, like has been said earlier in this thread, go to Preferred Xtra which doesn't have the RSNs so that fee gets removed. Call Directv 1-800-531-5000. The Preferred Xtra package is cheaper than Xtra and is comparable in cost if you add the Choice package plus the RSN fee together, all while swapping most sport channels for ones you may enjoy in that lower cost.

Message 14 of 65
Contributor

Someday, hopefully in the near future, users will not have to assimilate a
foreign language like Xtra-Choice-Package-RSN-Preferred, and it will be
simply menu driven, allowing patrons to eliminate paying for so many fluff
options that they will never use.
Message 15 of 65
Share this topic
Share this topic
Additional Support