Explore & discover

Helpful Links

What are the Sports Pack and Regional Sports Charges for?

Highlighted
Mentor

What are the Sports Pack and Regional Sports Charges for?

I have a Sports Pack and also a Regional Sports Fee listed on my monthly statement. I can't find anywhere on the website that explains what channels are included in either of those. Anybody know?

Message 1 of 14
ACE - Master
Solution
Accepted by topic author
Accepted by Larry42
‎11-13-2017 4:59 PM

Re: What are the Sports Pack and Regional Sports Charges for?

https://www.att.com/esupport/article.html#!/directv/KM1123803

https://www.att.com/esupport/article.html#!/directv/KM1002005

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Anything below the is a signature :
Note: This is a customer to customer forum, I am just a customer. Employees are identified as such.
Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Tags (1)
Message 2 of 14
ACE - Professor

The rsn (regional sports network)fee is part of any package above choice,  it's for your own rsn channel/s the sport pack gives you all the rsns,  the rsn's are all in the 600 channel range, the sports pack doesn't give you any out of market games

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 3 of 14
Mentor

Thanks to you both mdram4x4 and nabuki. And nabuki, thanks for the edit, I was puzzling over what my "ran" channels were. Smiley Happy

Message 4 of 14
ACE - Professor

You're welcome,  I hate my keyboard and predictive text , so I have to edit a lot. Lol,  i always seem to miss something even though I proof read most of the time

Message 5 of 14
ACE - Expert

Yes RSNs are in Choice or above, which is where you get the RSN fee based on address. The Sports Pack gives you over 35 RSN and specialty sport channels, including the ones for your address. So do not get the Sports Pack just for your RSNs unless you are Family or Select where it is cheaper than raising the package with the added RSN fee. If in Entertainment it depends on the RSN fee if raising the package or going with the Sports Pack is cheaper.

As a note there is a special package Preferred Xtra. This is slightly cheaper than Xtra, and since it removes the RSN channels, there is no RSN fee. It also swaps a few other sport channels for other non sport channels instead. It is intended for those that watch little or no sports. Something to consider if the channel swapped, and keeping the Sports Pack for your RSNs, if it might be a better overall value for you.

So the RSN fee is only in Choice, Xtra (not Preferred Xtra), Ultimate, and Premier. The Sports Pack does not add an RSN fee itself.

To double check your RSNs: www.directv.com/rsn

Per Directv's answer: "What is the Regional Sports Network (RSN) Fee and why am I getting charged for it?

Many DIRECTV customers in your area have requested these channels so they can watch all the games from their local teams, so we include them as part of our base programming packages. Regional Sports Network fees of up to $24.99 apply in certain markets. Regional Sports Network Fees are updated biannually based on the presence of Regional Sports Networks and/or Collegiate-In-Market programming in applicable ZIP codes." (however the most I have ever seen is just over $7 for areas like New York, I think $24.99 is a typo on their help page. If not and that is changing, then OUCH)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(Included after every post)
I am a customer, not an employee. This is a public forum.
For official support call DirecTV 1-800-531-5000 or AT&T 1-800-288-2020.
Message 6 of 14
Mentor

Thanks Juniper. I appreciate the additional clarification. I appreciate your help.

Message 7 of 14
ACE - Expert

My pleasure to help. As a side note since I do see this come up from time to time, the Sports Pack will not get you out of market professional games. Those are still blacked out as normal and would need the related sport subscription (MLB Extra Innings, NBA League Pass, etc.).

And for anyone who looks into the Sports Pack for The Outdoor Channel, that has a rare option. It may be added al-a-carte for just $3.50 if that is all you want out of the Sports Pack.

Message 8 of 14
Teacher

The only sports I watch is SNY (New York Mets baseball).  Doesn't seem fair that I have to pay extra $7.49/month for channels I didn't ask for.  That's on top of what I get charged for Premier package. 

Message 9 of 14
ACE - Expert

@walkgood

You cannot pick and chose your RSNs and teams. You get those for where you live: www.directv.com/rsn and the RNS fee charges based on that. The RSN fee is in Choice or above. Being in Premier doesn't remove the RSN fee. New York unfortunately has the highest RSN fee in the country, per the requirements from the teams and RSNs where you live.

However there may be an alternative for you. Consider if you watch all the normal premiums HBO, Starz (or just the Encore portion), Showtime, Cinemax, and Sports Pack. If you only make use of 4 or less than I suggest a different option. Call Directv 1-800-531-5000 and request Preferred Xtra and add on only the premium packs you use including the Sports Pack. Preferred Xtra itself doesn't include the RSNs (so no RSN fee), but the Sports pack covers over 35 RSNs including your in market ones (still without RSN fee). This way you can mix and match a bit

Message 10 of 14
Contributor

What if you are given a 0.00 cost NFL PKG, and despite asking numerous times to remove it, they still have the pkg...and the $5-6 fee!  That definitely doesn’t sound right. 

I even filed a formal complaint to remove several sports pkgs we didn’t request - we just have CHOICE.  Yet the RSN and the “free” NFL ticket (which they don’t say isn’t really free that I now recall)...is still on my bill.  One gets very tired of fighting repeat bill errors, and no full disclosures. Back in Jan I had to file a formal FCC complaint to try to get all the pkgs removed. We signed up only for Choice. No sports extras, except the NFL ticket which I wasn’t given a choice to opt out either. 

It should be a much better process, and to clearly define fees by region. And the free one should have a disclosure or it should really be free.

Message 11 of 14
ACE - Expert

The Regional Sport Networks cover your in-market teams for MLB, NBA, and NHL. www.directv.com/rsn

The NFL Sunday Ticket provides out of market NFL games. Just like the MLB Extra Innings, NBA League Pass, and NHL Center Ice do. So the RSN fee has nothing to do with the seasonal packages as the difference is what is in market or out of market.

NFL Sunday Ticket free for the 1st season is in most intro offers. After the free season has ended, but before the next year's season starts you call Directv to opt out of it if you don't want to keep it.

The RSN fee is in Choice and above as it deals with your base package, not the season sport subscription. However they have a special package called Preferred Xtra. This package is $2 less than Xtra, removes most sport channels including the RSNs so removes the RSN fee, and adds in a few channels like Hallmark Movies & Mysteries.

So the RSN fee has NOTHING to do with your free NFL Sunday Ticket. It is because you are in the Choice package.

Message 12 of 14
Tutor

SCAM and TRICKS.  The fee is a trick to scam more money out of the consumer.  Fee is hidden until you get your first bill. 

Message 13 of 14
ACE - Expert
Solution
Accepted by Community Manager (Community Manager)
Accepted by ATTDmitriyCM
‎02-12-2019 1:58 PM

@cakley wrote:

SCAM and TRICKS.  The fee is a trick to scam more money out of the consumer.  Fee is hidden until you get your first bill. 

All TV providers with professional sports channels are subject to Regional Sport Network (RSN) fees. Difference is DirecTV decided to itemize it on the bill instead of it hiding in the package cost. It is also different based on where you live, so you can see exactly how much the RSNs, and specific teams in the area, are costing the service.

To get rid of the fee you either go to a package below Choice, or call DirecTV and request going to their Preferred Xtra package. Little cheaper than Xtra, and because no RSN fee it becomes comparable to Choice in total cost. You gain some non-sport channels, like Hallmark Movies & Mysteries.

Monthly services like TV, phone, and internet have costs listed before tax and any regulatory fees as those are specific to where you live. So no trick or scam here.

Tags (1)
Message 14 of 14
Share this topic
Share this topic
Announcements

If your DIRECTV account has recently moved into myAT&T, let us help you manage your DIRECTV account in myAT&T.

Additional Support