Explore & discover

Helpful Links

Was told that I have to pay for service from 4/27 thru 5/22 after service is canceled!

Highlighted
Contributor

Was told that I have to pay for service from 4/27 thru 5/22 after service is canceled!

Service rep offered to change monthly charge from $120+ to $55 for being good customers since 2005. Why wasn't that offered a long time ago? Then when I asked to have service cancelled I was told that it is "company policy" to not prorate the charges! I will be billed from 4/27 to 5/22 for time the service is not active. We already disconnected the boxes & the company turned off the service!! This is stealing! When I asked who I could talk to for the refund I was told that the ability to credit for disconnect was removed from the computer! There is no excuse for billing for services that are not received. If this isn't illegal it should be!!

Message 1 of 3
ACE - Expert

Re: Was told that I have to pay for service from 4/27 thru 5/22 after service is canceled!

You where suppose to get service until the end of the billing cycle.  DTV sent notices in Oct. about the policy change effective in Jan.

Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 2 of 3
ACE - Expert

Re: Was told that I have to pay for service from 4/27 thru 5/22 after service is canceled!

@rippedoffinohio 

Their cancellation policy changed this year. Now when you cancel service, the effective date of cancelation is the last day of your service month. This means you still pay for the full month, but get the full month of service. This applies to all customers to make a flat and easy to explain cancellation for everyone. Here is the notice they sent in November 2018 advising of this change.

Please read this if you receive DIRECTV and/or AT&T Fixed Wireless service(s). We want to remind you that you’re billed in advance for recurring service(s) and/or programming charges and applicable fees based on the terms of your current service agreement(s) with us. Starting January 14, 2019, subject to applicable laws, we’re updating your agreement(s) to include your recurring service(s)/programming charges and fees won’t be prorated if you cancel the above service(s) on any day other than the last day of your billing cycle. Your service(s) will continue until the end of your billing cycle but you won’t get a refund (prorated credits) for any remaining days left in your billing cycle. For products not listed above, refer to their terms of service for more information.

Questions about this change? Go to att.com/ProrationPolicy for more information and to see the revised section of your service agreement(s).

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(Included after every post)
I am a customer, not an employee. This is a public forum.
For official support call DirecTV 1-800-531-5000 or AT&T 1-800-288-2020.
Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 3 of 3
Share this topic
Share this topic
Compare DIRECTV packages & channels. View DIRECTV premium entertainment!
Announcements

If your DIRECTV account has recently moved into myAT&T, let us help you manage your DIRECTV account in myAT&T.

Additional Support