Explore & discover

Helpful Links

Want to file a formal complaint concerning Directv/AT&T

Contributor

Want to file a formal complaint concerning Directv/AT&T

I contacted Directv/AT&T today to cancel my Directv effective today.  I was told I could not cancel until around February 21st.  Since when did a service provider have the right to tell me what do?  I have been a customer for 15 years; at one time I would tell people that Directv was wonderful, not anymore.  I expect to terminate whenever I want (I have no contract) and I should receive reimbursement for the days paid after my cancellation date.

Message 1 of 23
ACE - Expert
Solution
Accepted by Community Manager (Community Manager)
Accepted by ATTDmitriyCM
‎02-05-2019 2:50 PM

Re: Want to file a formal complaint concerning Directv/AT&T

AT&T has just changed the prorate policy, you can cancel at anytime but you will be billed until the end of your billing cycle and I assume you will still get service till then.

Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Tags (1)
Message 2 of 23
Contributor

Thank you for the reply.  Unfortunately, they can't provide evidence showing we were notified.  Nothing on our bills and no email.

Message 3 of 23
ACE - Expert

Email I received in November:

"Please read this if you receive DIRECTV and/or AT&T Fixed Wireless service(s). We want to remind you that you’re billed in advance for recurring service(s) and/or programming charges and applicable fees based on the terms of your current service agreement(s) with us. Starting January 14, 2019, subject to applicable laws, we’re updating your agreement(s) to include your recurring service(s)/programming charges and fees won’t be prorated if you cancel the above service(s) on any day other than the last day of your billing cycle. Your service(s) will continue until the end of your billing cycle but you won’t get a refund (prorated credits) for any remaining days left in your billing cycle. For products not listed above, refer to their terms of service for more information.

Questions about this change? Go to att.com/ProrationPolicy for more information and to see the revised section of your service agreement(s)."

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(Included after every post)
I am a customer, not an employee. This is a public forum.
For official support call DirecTV 1-800-531-5000 or AT&T 1-800-288-2020.
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 4 of 23
Tutor

Can you please stop with the long wait times for an agent? it's very annoying and your voice recognition upsets me every time; your a tech company and your technology is   not on a high level.

Message 5 of 23
ACE - Expert

@LANDRUM1 wrote:

Can you please stop with the long wait times for an agent? it's very annoying and your voice recognition upsets me every time; your a tech company and your technology is   not on a high level.

Long wait times occur because they are helping other customers. An agent cannot help another until they are finished helping the one they are currently with.

So the long wait times cannot just simply be stopped. They would need a lot more agents, which takes training time and more wages paid out (especially if goes over their budgeted personnel strength) or less customers calling in. Either way it is not something that will change quickly.

Message 6 of 23
Contributor

I am very upset. I called on February 20, 2019 about my bill being so high and the rep told me that he could give me a promotion of $70.00 but I needed to send in the amount for the bill that month and then I would receive my discount starting the next bill. I just got my bill and the discount was not on there but instead there was increase of $9.38. So I called and the rep this time told me that the programs had increased. No one had notified me that there would be an increase prior to it showing up on my bill. Very unprofessional! So then he proceeded to tell me that yes he saw the discount but that it happened too late last month and it will show up next month with a prorated amount for last month. I am very confused. I should have gotten my discount this month as I paid my bill before the time it was due last month. Sloppy billing practices that you can't go in and correct the billing when the discount was given. I am very disappointed in AT&T. Not the AT&T I am use to.

Message 7 of 23
ACE - Expert

Discounts do not prorate. They are a flat amount for so many months. If a discount was actually applied it would start on the next bill produced from when you called in.

As for the price adjustment, there was notice. Like the last several years this happened, they send notice in December about how much the increase to base cost will be. Here is the copy I received for reference:

Thank you for enjoying DIRECTV. We appreciate your business and are proud to offer the ultimate entertainment experience.

We realize getting maximum value is a top priority for you, which is why we work hard to provide choices you want at rates that make sense. Due to increased costs of programming, an adjustment in the price of our programming packages is necessary.

New rates will be in effect on January 20, 2019, as indicated at att.com/2019pricing.

When you signed up for DIRECTV, you may have received a promotional discount on your programming package, and you will continue to receive those discounts. Once your promotional period ends, you will be charged at our new programming package prices.

If you change your current base package, you may no longer be eligible for the promotional discount on your programming package and other promotions. Base packages will continue to include local channels where available. If DIRECTV does not offer local channels in your area, most programming packages are $3/month less than the base package price. Go to directv.com/locals to check availability by ZIP Code.

For more information, go to att.com/2019pricing.

The Regional Sports Fee will increase by $0 to $1.90 per month, depending on the market. Go to att.com/2019pricing to learn the new monthly amount of your Regional Sports Fee.

Programming, pricing terms and conditions subject to change at any time. Pricing is residential. Taxes not included. Receipt of DIRECTV programming is subject to the terms of the DIRECTV Residential Customer Agreement, a copy is provided at att.com/legal and with your order confirmation.

Message 8 of 23
Contributor

I called AT&T customer service department today March 25, 2019 to cancel my service and was told I cannot cancel until Aprilv19, 2019.  I was informed about some new policy that they no longer prorate customer accounts, I have to continue to pay for a service that I am not using until the next billing cycle.  The  AT&T floor supervisor hung up on me when I challenged your new policy, I am customer and I know other customers like me did not know anything about this so call new policy.  It is cruel and unfair to the consumer, out right theft.  A large company like AT&T would become a Den Of Thieves.   I wonder how the Legislature see your company.  No one wanted to here anything that I had to say.

Very cruelly treated customer 

Message 9 of 23
ACE - Expert

The notice about the change in cancellation policy, where it goes through end of bill cycle, was sent in November. The old policy allowed us to choose the exact day of cancelling. But too many reports of people not understanding their prorated bills, the amount of refunds that had to go out, and after refunds sent out either getting lost in the mail, customers forgetting about them or even loosing them. So canceling at end of bill cycle means should be same bill as has been expected so the average customer (who usually ignores their bill anyway) would have no confusion. I agree the old way seemed to be more customer friendly, but I have noticed the average customer tends to over complicate things.

Here is the copy of the email I received as I kept it for reference:

Please read this if you receive DIRECTV and/or AT&T Fixed Wireless service(s). We want to remind you that you’re billed in advance for recurring service(s) and/or programming charges and applicable fees based on the terms of your current service agreement(s) with us. Starting January 14, 2019, subject to applicable laws, we’re updating your agreement(s) to include your recurring service(s)/programming charges and fees won’t be prorated if you cancel the above service(s) on any day other than the last day of your billing cycle. Your service(s) will continue until the end of your billing cycle but you won’t get a refund (prorated credits) for any remaining days left in your billing cycle. For products not listed above, refer to their terms of service for more information.

Questions about this change? Go to att.com/ProrationPolicy for more information and to see the revised section of your service agreement(s).

Message 10 of 23
Contributor

I am VERY UNHAPPY with Directv after accepting an offer.  I was told by a representative that at the end of the promo offer all I woul have to do was call and I would be given another offer around the same price of aprox $60.  I have called and spoke witth a person named Jacky.  She wouldn't even work we me as a Directv customer or a woman in dispare of the financial bind this tripled amount I was being billed.  Every time I tried to explain the less than helpful customer representative Jacky would tell me I can send you the order information and that is what was offered.  I explained to her that the offer that I was given when I agreed to switch was not what was happening. I could not afford what was happening I would not have accepted the offer. her reply you will have to pay a termination fee of $200 dollars.  You pay what we charge or fee to terminated.  I was so upset.  I said ok I will take this problem and her inconsiderate help not given to someone higher that does care. She reminded me of the fee I would be charged. She had NO concern of Directv loosing me as a customer or the bind this offer of false information has put me in.  I ended the call with OK I am switching and have a good day her reply you too bye.  The way this was handled is unacceptable as I asked more than once about after the promo what would be charged. I was tricked into the acceptance of this offer from a Directv salesperson.

Message 11 of 23
ACE - Expert

When you get DirecTV you are sent an order confirmation detailing the amount and length (normally 12 months for intro discounts) of any promotions.

An agent cannot promise that if you call in when your current promo ends that you will get the same promo. That is not how it works with pretty much any company. When the promo ends you can call in to discuss what options or new promos you have. They just cannot guarantee what will be available in the future as promotions are subject to change. So that salesperson mislead you. If this was over the phone with DirecTV, then when you call you can submit a complaint on them. If this was someone in person that would be a 3rd party salesman that sends new orders to DirecTV, so you would have to submit the complaint to the 3rd party retailer they work for.

Agents can only work with you within the limits of the system. If your account currently doesn't qualify for discounts, then the agent's hands are tied on that end. To reduce cost you can go to a lower costing package, remove optional services, minimize number of TVs as needed. Certainly ask if there are any new discounts available, but understand there might not be. Never rely on discounts to afford service. If you cannot afford without discounts, then you cannot afford it. Always be prepared to have the full cost budgeted in.

Message 12 of 23
Contributor

Not only does every agent just regurgitate the same piece of information you are right now, there is NEVER any accountability in Directv’s part. It does not matter what YOU say because those practices of straight up lying to customers is still happening. Agent say whatever they can go get loyal customers to stay and prospective customer to sign up and almost never follow through. The new prorate policy is a scam because I have called at least two months in advance before to get credit on my bill before my contract ends because if I don’t they will at 70+ dollars to my bill. However, I could because I was still had the current credits so I had to wait  until they were done but my bill would still go up because the billing cycle already started. So there is literally no win situation for the customer. And when you cancel you are forced to continue another billing cycle even if you are no longer using the service but you also can’t cancel before you contract ends because then you’ll be charged an early cancelation fee. Directv just want to take as much money out of its customers as possible. It may be in policy but they are still shady business practices! I will continue to fight my last bill and file as many complaints as possible.

Message 13 of 23
ACE - Expert

Yes there are bad agents out there who purposely mislead. No company is immune from that as they are still human and make their own choices (good or bad). Personally I would like the bigger companies to be a lot stricter with the accountability of any 3rd party partners (or drop those partners all together). You will not find a company with perfect employees. Unfortunately there are those taking advantage of any confusion from the merger to boost their sales. Once everything smooths out from the big account changeover to their new system, I hope the checks and balances start improving to catch the scammers.

With the policy change starting in January 2019 and prior notification sent November 2018, proration of final bill has no room to dispute. Terms of service were updated months ago. But even before this change I would always say it is wise to call prior to ordering (or the installing of) a new service. That way you have as much information as you need with no surprises.

The new policy simplifies final billing. I did prefer the prior way as you could choose the exact day to end, but I can see legitimate reasons to make cancellation the same across the board.

So it is up to you if you want until the service agreement ends, or close the account however months early you prefer and according pay the ECF (worth $20 for each month remaining after last day of service). If there is an actual error on your billing, I hope you get it taken care of. If you are just disputing the new cancellation policy, sorry but that affects all of us customers as is well into the terms of service.

Message 14 of 23
Contributor

Same thing happened to me. When I signed up the rep said that when the promo ended I could call and get a new promo of similar price. I called and asked for a new promo and they offered $5. Off. They were not concerned about losing me as a customer.  When I called to cancel my service they informed me that since they upgraded my equipment a few months earlier that automatically put me in another 2 year contract. I will have to pay $280.for early termination.  Such a dishonest company  

Message 15 of 23
Share this topic
Share this topic
Announcements

If your DIRECTV account has recently moved into myAT&T, let us help you manage your DIRECTV account in myAT&T.

Additional Support