Explore & discover

Helpful Links

Re: WHY AM I BEING CHARGED FOR 3 TV'S WHEN I HAVE ONLY EVER HAD 2????

WHY AM I BEING CHARGED FOR 3 TV'S WHEN I HAVE ONLY EVER HAD 2????

My bill shows I'm paying for 3 tv's and getting a $7 credit on the first one.  I have never had 3 tv's!!!! I signed up with DirecTV at my new house in September 2015 and had service to 2 tv's.  I have a whole home DVR; one TV has the dvr receiver, the 2nd has a regular receiver.

YOU HAVE BEEN OVERCHARGING ME FOR YEARS NOW.

Message 1 of 7
ACE - Expert
Solution
Accepted by topic author
Accepted by overcharged2
‎07-14-2019 10:44 PM

@overcharged2 wrote:

My bill shows I'm paying for 3 tv's and getting a $7 credit on the first one.  I have never had 3 tv's!!!! I signed up with DirecTV at my new house in September 2015 and had service to 2 tv's.  I have a whole home DVR; one TV has the dvr receiver, the 2nd has a regular receiver.

YOU HAVE BEEN OVERCHARGING ME FOR YEARS NOW.

Call DirecTV 1-800-531-5000. This is a public customer to customer forum, so no account access here.

The most likely reason to show one more TV then you have is that one of your boxes was replaced (upgrade or warranty), but the old box in error didn't deactivate off the account. Something the agent should check first.

DirecTV has a 60 day bill dispute policy like many other companies. So even if error is confirmed, they may only do a partial credit. This is because they send out a statement every month detailing the service and can only assume the bill is correct unless you call in about a perceived error.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(Included after every post)
I am a customer, not an employee. This is a public forum.
For official support call DirecTV 1-800-531-5000 or AT&T 1-800-288-2020.
Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Tags (1)
Message 2 of 7

I have the original 2 boxes that were hooked up to two TV’s on the two lines that were activated when service was first established at my home in 2015. I have NOT received a replacement for either box, and I haven’t relocated the two active cables or had others activated.

Message 3 of 7
ACE - Expert

@overcharged2 

You will need to call DirecTV 1-800-531-5000 to discuss the account and see how long it reflects there has been a 3rd TV. If there has never been a replacement box or a service call through the history of the account, and the first couple of bills showed only the 2 TVs, then the later activation should be fairly easy to dispute as there will not be a equipment order to go along with it.

I don’t receive a paper bill; the account was set up for automatic bill pay

Automatic bill pay doesn't mean you don't receive a paper bill. Paperless billing is a separate option, and that is sent monthly by email instead, in addition to being able to view your bills online at any time. DirecTV like many companies has a 60 day dispute policy, as they send a statement every month. So with auto bill pay and paperless billing you could have both, just one, or neither as they are options separate from each other.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 4 of 7

Thanks for the response!  I thought the email I got came from Customer Service - I'll contact them.  Appreciate the advice. thx

Message 5 of 7
Highlighted
ACE - Expert

You're welcome. Hope they get it straightened out for you.

Whenever someone posts in a thread you have participated in you get an email notification. You can always go into your profile and opt out if you are done with a particular discussion.

Once in a while there are official responses from their "Cares" team on the forum, but they are low staffed as not to replace customer care. Any responses from them will usually include a private message. And those that aren't "Cares" but have the "employee" tag are posting on their personal time (off the clock), so not an official response though their information should be more current with whatever goes on internally in general.

Message 6 of 7
Contributor

AT&T is removing the grandfathered status form the "1st TV free policy" 

For 15 years and all my previous types of receivers had the TV access fee credited on my main TV.  For the first time ever this month, i am being charge 4 tv access fees when i only have 3 TVs (1 Genie 2 and 3 mini clients). When i called in, 3 CSRs, retention (loyalty) department and the tech support department all tried to convince me that the Genie 2 should be billed a "TV Access" fee, even though it is impossible to watch TV using the Genie 2 alone. It REQUIRES the mini client to operate, thus meaning that the first TV costs twice as much to operate. This means the they are effectively negating the "1st TV Free" policy that has been in place for a long as i can remember (15+ years).  This is terrible business practices. 

AT&T is bleeding customers, stuff like this is why, and they are about to lose me too.

Message 7 of 7
Share this topic
Share this topic
Announcements

If your DIRECTV account has recently moved into myAT&T, let us help you manage your DIRECTV account in myAT&T.

Additional Support