Explore & discover

Helpful Links

Upgrade for local channels

Highlighted
Contributor

Upgrade for local channels

Got letter in mail that need to upgrade by 2/8/20 to keep local channels...Anyone else get one too..

Message 1 of 8
ACE - Expert
Solution
Accepted by ACE - Expert (ACE - Expert)
Accepted by litzdog911
‎02-18-2019 6:46 PM

Re: Upgrade for local channels

@Scootgirl wrote:

Got letter in mail that need to upgrade by 2/8/20 to keep local channels...Anyone else get one too..

Yes. DirecTV is phasing out old SD equipment that relies on MPEG2 satellite signals starting in April 2019. They will swap your old equipment with newer MPEG4-compatible equipment for free.  Call them at 1 800 531 5000.  They will likely try to upsell you on upgrading the fancier equipment, which will trigger a new 2-year commitment. 

For official support call DirecTV 1-800-531-5000 or AT&T 1-800-288-2020.
Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Tags (1)
Message 2 of 8
ACE - Expert

@Scootgirl 

DirecTV is shutting down the last of their MPEG-2 (SD only) feeds starting April 2019. After that MPEG-4 (SD and HD capable) equipment will be needed. They are providing a complimentary swap program, but also offering upgrades as alternatives.

Some agents do go a little overboard on the options. To get the best guidance, what are the models of each box you have now?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(Included after every post)
I am a customer, not an employee. This is a public forum.
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 3 of 8
Contributor

So the MPEG-4 will replace the 2?  This can be used as a stand alone box?

Message 4 of 8
ACE - Expert

@Poohishisname wrote:

So the MPEG-4 will replace the 2?  This can be used as a stand alone box?

Can what be used as "a stand alone box"?

Give us more details on what you want to do. 

Message 5 of 8
Contributor

I want to take this box to my camp.
Message 6 of 8
ACE - Expert

@Poohishisname wrote:
I want to take this box to my camp.

What "box"?  Model number please. 

What satellite dish do you have?

Details please.

Message 7 of 8
ACE - Expert

@Poohishisname 

Old boxes and receiving dishes are MPEG-2 (SD only). After the shutdown of those old feeds then all will have to be replaced with MPEG-4 (SD and HD capable) boxes and receiving dishes.

What are the models of each box you have?

What receiving dishes do you have (home and at the camp)?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(Included after every post)
I am a customer, not an employee. This is a public forum.
Message 8 of 8
Share this topic
Share this topic
Announcements

If your DIRECTV account has recently moved into myAT&T, let us help you manage your DIRECTV account in myAT&T.

Additional Support