Explore & discover

Helpful Links

Taking DirecTV on the road in an RV

Contributor

Taking DirecTV on the road in an RV

I travel in an RV 5 months of the year and bring my receiver with me from home. I get to a campground and set up the dish, find the satellite and power up the receiver and TV.  Once set up I would like to receive the local network television stations.  

My question: .Can I notify DirecTV on line and give them this request and expect to be helped?  Please advise. Thanks

Message 1 of 11
ACE - Expert
Solution
Accepted by Administrator (Administrator)
Accepted by davidbk
‎01-22-2019 11:39 AM

Re: Taking DirecTV on the road in an RV

Nope, not any more. They won't temporarily change your service address.  You'll need to use an off-air antenna to get local channels.  Or subscribe to their Traveler's Package to get East or West Coast network channels. 

Also note that if you're still using old MPEG2 SD equipment, you'll need to upgrade after April 2019. 

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Tags (1)
Message 2 of 11
Contributor

Thank you for the quick response! I was unaware of this change.
Message 3 of 11
Mentor

Directv supposed to have changed this when it doesn't help t he working man like me. I go to my house where I work on a pipeline. I'm not traveling. My equipment, the dish and everything already there, i'm a disabled vet and I call and call and i get told i have to pay $199 to move something when everything is already to go and set up. I just want to not to bothered, im not traveling, why cant directv get this through their heads, and i dont want snoops coming in my  house from directv.

Message 4 of 11
ACE - Expert

Then you need an OTA antenna connected to the TV's OTA tuner until DTV release their LCC device as it appears that AT&T is not going to change this.

Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 5 of 11
Mentor

Over the air antenna won't do it. Terrain is too mountainous and stations scattered too widely. Besides over the air power is weak on some stations. I pay for these locals through directv so I wont have to put an over the air antenna that wont work anyway except for one or two channels. no thanks.

Message 6 of 11
Mentor

you think I'd mess with this directv if I didn't have to? No way. the only other way to go is dish which I think I'm gonna do pretty soon., I don't think dish is as stupid as direct.

Message 7 of 11
Mentor

I hate to have two satellite accounts one dish and one directv. direct I got a year to go, but I may go with dish anyway and let direct receivers just sit there. there not doing anything worthwhile anyway.

Message 8 of 11
Contributor

We just spoke with a tech person with DirecTV, who told us that once they discontinue SD in April, all we would lose is local channels, that all others would still come through in SD.  Our rooftop satellite on our rv does not do HD, only SD.  Were we given incorrect info?

Message 9 of 11
ACE - Expert
Solution
Accepted by Community Manager (Community Manager)
Accepted by ATTDmitriyCM
‎02-21-2019 1:21 PM

@Geojude23 wrote:

We just spoke with a tech person with DirecTV, who told us that once they discontinue SD in April, all we would lose is local channels, that all others would still come through in SD.  Our rooftop satellite on our rv does not do HD, only SD.  Were we given incorrect info?

Nope. You were given bad information.  They're not actually discontinuing SD channels. They're ending MPEG2 satellite transmissions and switching everything to MPEG4.  Older non-HD equipment and dishes cannot receive MPEG4 satellite signals, so must be swapped for newer equipment.  They'll swap the Receivers/DVRs for free, so call them .... 1 800 531 5000.  The RV dish is up to you, however. You'll need a Slimline HD dish and tripod/sled mount, or a really expensive RV dish.

Tags (1)
Message 10 of 11
Mentor

Swap your DirecTV/AT&T account for Dish / Sprint. That's what I do. No more service address hangups.

Message 11 of 11
Share this topic
Share this topic
help managing DIRECTV in myAT&T View help managing DIRECTV in myAT&T!
Additional Support