Explore & discover

Helpful Links

Roku app login error using ATT/Directv login

Tutor

Roku app login error using ATT/Directv login

**Please read this thoroughly before making suggestions.**

I am unable to login any third party apps or the Directv app on my Roku device.

ROKU****

I have been on MULTIPLE chat and phone calls with customer support and even went to my local store. I have a combined AT&T and Directv billing account.

I have done all the suggested troubleshooting methods; uninstalling/reinstalling apps, resetting password, secondary email; ALL OF IT NUMEROUS TIMES. 

During my last infuriating call to customer support, it was suggested I to login through my AT&T app to view shows. My AT&T app is on my phone. NOT my Roku. Customer support seems to have no idea what a Roku is or what I am talking about.

I am trying to login to IDGO on my Roku, for example, which is included in my Directv package. I get an error "billing is DTVNOW" error. I do not have a paid or active subscription to DTVNOW.

Can I/we get some real resolution on this?? 

Message 1 of 26
ACE - Professor

Re: Roku app login error using ATT/Directv login

There is no directv (satellite) app for roku or any other streaming device, only a directvnow app, and directvnow doesn't support id go yet, directvnow and directv are two completely different services and having one doesn't give you access to the other.

*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 2 of 26
Tutor

When I go to an app on my Roku, I am directed to go online to the app website. From there I enter my activation code as seen on the app, then I am asked to choose my service provider. I choose Directv, not DTVNow. It is there I am asked for my Directv login, which I use my At&t/Directv login.  I get an error. 

Shouldn't this login work? Am I to understand that the apps have the option to choose Directv as a provider, but it is actually not available??

Message 3 of 26
ACE - Professor
Solution
Accepted by Digital Assistant (Digital Assistant)
Accepted by ATTForumsBot
‎11-08-2019 11:17 AM

The network apps all have a general provider list that's the same no matter what device you're accessing it from,  for example if you were on a computer or laptop instead of a streaming device like roku,  you COULD use your directv credentials,  but not for a streaming device like roku since there isn't a directv (satellite) app for streaming devices.

*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Tags (1)
Message 4 of 26
Tutor

It doesn't matter where I try to login to DTV; laptop or phone. My credentials do not work on the website. 

And I am not trying to use a DTV app on Roku. I am trying to use other apps such as IDGO. 

The only place my credentials work is on the ATT website. I am not interested in watching DTV from the ATT website or app.

Message 5 of 26
ACE - Expert

@tgreaves wrote:

@nabukl

Sorry I have to correct you. Directv (Satellite) has a Directv App that can be installed on roku/firesticks/smart tvs/laptops/pcs/phones/tablets which allow you to watch your tv shows/movies. This app has been out now for a while, well before directv now app was ever released.

Infact the app has been a selling point of Directv Satellite now for a while.

@nabukl please visit https://www.att.com/directv/experience/watch-directv-app.html and read up. this is NOT Directv Now.

Really?  That's not what is says at the link you posted ....

• What devices are supported by the DIRECTV app?

As a DIRECTV subscriber, you can watch TV everywhere with the DIRECTV App. This free app is supported on the following:

Mobile devices:

• iPhone, iPad and iPod Touch (iOS 9 and above)
    • Android Phone and Android Tablet (OS 5.0 and above)
    • Kindle Fire HD and Kindle Fire HDX (4th generation and above)
    • Apple Watch, Samsung Gear Watch

Web browsers for PC or Mac:

• Firefox (latest version)
    • Internet Explorer 9 or 10 (32-bit) or 11 (64-bit version not compatible)
    • Chrome (latest version)
    • Safari (latest version)

Where do you see Roku or Smart TVs on this list?

For official support call DirecTV 1-800-531-5000 or AT&T 1-800-288-2020.
Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
Message 6 of 26
ACE - Professor

@tgreaves, sorry you are incorrect there isn't a directv satellite app for any steaming device, you're not dealing with a neophyte here.

Message 7 of 26
ACE - Professor

Maybe you are confusing smart phones and tablets for streaming devices like rokus, firestick, etc..yes there is a directv app for smart phones and tablets and has been for a few years now, but they're not steaming devices per se.

Message 8 of 26
Contributor

I am having this same issue. I am a directv satellite customer which means I am supposed to be able to download the channel apps that are in my package and watch them on any tv that is connected to a roku player.

BBC America, TNT, FX, Disney, etc. but recently when I go through the authorization steps. go to the roku activation page, enter the code, choose your provider and such. I get a notice that the email and password I am using is not recognized. When I go to ATT/DirecTV to login I am able to login with the same email and password I was using on DirecTV's Roku authorization page.

I was bounced around DirecTV for almost 2 hours for them to tell me I can watch Directv on my laptop. ??? Not what I asked for. I want to now why my login is not working anymore for Roku's apps? No one has yet been able to answer this question. Simple question.

Message 9 of 26
Former Employee
Solution
Accepted by Digital Assistant (Digital Assistant)
Accepted by ATTForumsBot
‎12-11-2019 4:53 PM

@CKR8888

The roku and firestick thing was never meant to be a thing. It was a mistake in code which allowed users to do that.

As per the website states...

What devices are supported by the DIRECTV app?

As a DIRECTV subscriber, you can watch TV everywhere with the DIRECTV App. This free app is supported on the following:

Mobile devices:

• iPhone, iPad and iPod Touch (iOS 9 and above)
  • Android Phone and Android Tablet (OS 5.0 and above)
  • Kindle Fire HD and Kindle Fire HDX (4th generation and above)
  • Apple Watch, Samsung Gear Watch

Web browsers for PC or Mac:

• Firefox (latest version)
  • Internet Explorer 9 or 10 (32-bit) or 11 (64-bit version not compatible)
  • Chrome (latest version)
  • Safari (latest version)

What devices are supported by the DIRECTV NOW app?

DIRECTV NOW customers can download the free DIRECTV NOW app to watch TV on a smartphone, tablet, connected device like Roku or Chromecast and various Smart TVs. Review the constantly growing list of compatible devices.

As a satellite subscriber, the standard application can NOT be used on Roku or Firestick, Apple TV, etc etc etc. Those are strictly for "Directv Now"
If this reply helped you please use Accept solution to mark it as an Accepted Solution.
For official support call DirecTV 1-800-531-5000 or AT&T 1-800-288-2020
Tags (1)
Message 10 of 26
Tutor

Tgreaves,

The issue that CKR8888 and I are referring to are NOT the DirecTV or DTVNow apps.

We are referring to third party apps on our streaming device such as IDGO, BBC America, TNT, FX, Disney, etc.

Those apps require authentication from DirecTV. When trying to use any third party app, we are redirected to login to Directv to authenticate. The authentication does not work, we get a login error.

Once again, this issue is NOT with the DirecTV or DTVNow app. 

Message 11 of 26
ACE - Master

its most likely tied to directv accounts switching over to att accounts

maybe try using att as the provider and see what happens

this is a directv/att issue

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Anything below the is a signature :
Note: This is a customer to customer forum, I am just a customer. Employees are identified as such.
Message 12 of 26
Contributor

I'll try the AT&T login later and see what happens. Thanks 

I am honestly beginning to think all employees at AT&T/DirecTV are doing their best to confuse people and not be helpful. I spent and hour and a half on the phone with 4 employees who said they were passing my issue up the chain to the next level of service to only be sent back to the main menu every single time. It was frustrating, so much so that I will most likely drop your service and go with Verizon for wireless and go to streaming TV all together through something like Sling or Hulu with Live TV and an antenna for local channels. There are so many options now I'm not sure DirecTV's hassle is worth it.

What does "It was never meant to be a thing" even mean? Seriously, what does it mean? It's an app for the channel. The channel has made a deal with DirecTV that says anyone who subscribes using your service can access our content on our app, they just have to prove they subscribe, to which DirecTV  and every other provider provides an authorization link from the channels website. Not Roku's website. The channel's website. When I was with Cox it worked the same way. When I was with Time Warner it worked the same way. Heck it worked with DirecTV a few weeks ago. This is a DirecTV/AT&T issue of authorization. It is the DirecTV page that is giving the error, not the channel's website and not the Roku.

Cutting and pasting information about the DirecTV app is not helpful. We clearly did not ask for that. If you read the concern you will see that is not what Mrhaas and I are talking about. So if you don't have anything positive or helpful to contribute to the discussion please don't contribute at all. If you don't know what the issues is that's fine, but don't just post for the sake of posting.

Message 13 of 26
ACE - Master

the confusion is that some people want the directv app on firesticks/rokus ect

much of the discussion on the boards is about that, not about the channel specific apps

but there are other complaints about the directv login for them where it stops working.

i think there are issues with the new accounts

not sure if a solution is known yet, or even if its been admitted to by att/directv

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Anything below the is a signature :
Note: This is a customer to customer forum, I am just a customer. Employees are identified as such.
Message 14 of 26
Former Employee

@Mrhaas & @CKR8888

i do apologize for the misunderstanding. As others stated there has been so much discussion lately over the DTV and DTVN apps no longer working with firesticks, roku's and apple tv I misunderstood what you were saying.

If this reply helped you please use Accept solution to mark it as an Accepted Solution.
For official support call DirecTV 1-800-531-5000 or AT&T 1-800-288-2020
Message 15 of 26
Share this topic
Share this topic
Announcements

If your DIRECTV account has recently moved into myAT&T, let us help you manage your DIRECTV account in myAT&T.

Additional Support