Explore & discover

Helpful Links

Returning DirecTV Equipment after cancellation

Highlighted
Anonymous
Not applicable

Returning DirecTV Equipment after cancellation

I recently cancelled my DirecTV service.  My account is paid in full and have 0 balance.  The first time I called to cancel, the representative told me I would receive a prepaid envelope to put the DirecTv access card and an email with instructions on how to send back the receivers.  I received the email and it told me to send back only one of my two receivers - the small standard box, not the one with the Access Card and the DVR.  I followed the instructions and took it to the UPS store and sent it back.  I waited 10 days and never received a prepaid envelope for the Access Card.   I also never received instructions on returning the other DVR Receiver.

I called in a second time because I received a bill for the next month even though I had cancelled.  On that call, the representative informed me that I didn't need to pay the bill, that my balance was in fact $0 and that I got the email because it was auto triggered the same day I canceled.  On that call, I asked about returning the Access Card and Receiver and at that time the representative said he would send another pre-paid envelope.  It's been another 10 days and that envelope has not come.

Today I called directv again, asking about returning the Access Card and receiver.  This time the representative told me they would send "the boxes" in 72 hours.  What boxes?  Apparently prepaid boxes to send back the equipment.  But just the receiver,  or the receiver AND the Access Card?  If I do get the boxes and put the equipment in them with the card, am I then going to get an envelope later and not have the card because I already sent it back?  If I wait and keep the card, am I going to get charged because I didn't send it back with the box?  

This process has been a NIGHTMARE.  No one in customer service seems to know what they're doing.  Everytime I call they try to convince me to sign up again.  Starting the day after I cancelled I started getting phone calls from a Dallas, TX phone number once an hour trying to get me to come back (I blocked the number when I found out who it was - they refuse to leave voicemail messages).  

If I ever was contemplating using DirecTv or any ATT service in the future, I sure as heck won't anymore.  I create customer service and service recovery training, and DirecTV is the WORST I've ever encountered.

All I want is to return the Access Card and any equipment they want back and be done with it.  I just don't want them to falsely claim I failed to do so and hit me with charges and ruin my credit.

Message 1 of 51
ACE - Expert
Solution
Accepted by Administrator (Administrator)
Accepted by davidbk
‎05-25-2018 7:57 AM

Re: Returning DirecTV Equipment after cancellation

Access card stays in the receiver for return as they are paired together. A return envelope should only be sent if the box is s non returnable model. If you have not received envelope within 30 days, access card should be safely disposed of like a credit card. Non return fees are only for receivers and client boxes.

Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Tags (1)
Message 2 of 51
Contributor

I received a letter requesting return of equipment.  On 6/23/18 I return the equipment at the UPS store 5105 s Hwy 41, Terre Haute, Indiana  reference # B4451P20180623112237 on receipt of work order my account #[edited for privacy-please do not post personal or unique information such as but not limited to full names, employee ID numbers, email addresses, phone numbers, account numbers, etc.]

Message 3 of 51
ACE - Expert

@NormaMcCarty wrote:

I received a letter requesting return of equipment.  On 6/23/18 I return the equipment at the UPS store 5105 s Hwy 41, Terre Haute, Indiana  reference # B4451P20180623112237 on receipt of work order my account #75767093

Posting that information here won't help you.  We're customers like you, not employees.  You need to call DirecTV and provide this information .... 1 800 531 5000

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 4 of 51
Tutor

Help please.

I cancelled my service on July 23, 2018 and was told I would receive a return kit for my in 5 to 7 days.  It's been 17 days and no kit.  I have called twice since the cancellation and am currently on hold for over 50 minutes now.  According to Directv's terms of service I have to return my equipment within 21 days.  How can I get the return kit without getting the runaround?

very frustrated!

Message 5 of 51
ACE - Expert

@gsharris

That is the old return process. AT&T changed it around the turn of the year.

You now take your receiver/client boxes to a participating FedEx or UPS store (not USPS) with your account number for the free return. Just make sure the location is in the new return program.

That is of course if they are returnable models in the first place. What are the model numbers of each box you have?

Message 6 of 51
Tutor

Juniper, what do you mean by make sure the location is in the new return program.???

Message 7 of 51
ACE - Expert

Not all UPS/FedEx stores handle DTV returns but may handle AT&T returns.

Message 8 of 51
ACE - Expert

@flamingo wrote:

Juniper, what do you mean by make sure the location is in the new return program.???

Not all UPS and FedEx locations participate in Directv's new return program. So before you go down to one, give them a call and ask so you don't make a wasted trip by going to a location that doesn't handle the returns.

Message 9 of 51
Tutor

When I called and cancelled my service on July 23, I was told by the DirecTv person on the phone that I would receive a recovery kit which never came.  Called back again and after them trying to re-sell me DirecTv again they also assured me the kit had been sent out to me.

Finally after a 3rd call and an hour on the phone with DirecTv the person finally tells me what @Juniper said above.  Sure enough I walked into my local UPS store with equipment in hand.  They scanned it, gave me a receipt and said they would take if from there!  Wish I would have been told that in the beginning.  Now that's easy!

Message 10 of 51
Contributor

I have two receivers that each had access cards.  The first DirecTV rep told me to remove the cards and wait for an envelope.  Should I put them back in the receivers and send them back to DirecTV with the UPS/FedEX process? If so, how do I know which card came from which receiver??

Message 11 of 51
Former Employee

@x115154

Put them back in and take them to a UPS/FedEx store (not a small drop off/pickup center like you find in Walgreens) The main stores will send them packing for you and give you a receipt. If Directv no longer want the receivers they will just dispose of them. That way you can be guaranteed that everything has been returned safely and you will get back any "Non return fees" you maybe charged.

If this reply helped you please use Accept solution to mark it as an Accepted Solution.
Message 12 of 51
Contributor

Unfortunately the designated UPS return stores cannot read the bar codes on the older equipment when you try to return it. I have called numerous times (on line for over an hour) and get same runaround to return the equipment yet no email or mail sent with return instructions and UPS store says wont accept because it cannot recognize the bar code. Customer service will not give me confirmation codes for my conversations with them. They will not tell me to keep the equipment yet don't send anything to return it. Thus I hesitate to send it to the recycling company in Denver. Direct TV is the absolute worst, worst business. How they stay in business is a wonder to me. The UPS store rep stated she receives so much returned equipment daily from them.  I was a loyal paying customer for 15 years and cancelled service because THEY failed to show to update my equipment that failed. I then got rid of my ATT internet just because they are now with Direct TV. Returning the ATT modem was a piece of cake. They sent an email, instructions and imagine that....equipment returned with confirmation receipt! It's obvious that even thought he companies have merged that they work independently of each other.   At this point I refuse to continue to waste my time calling again and again and am waiting for the coveted letter stating that I owe them money for the equipment. They are the biggest joke.  I will tell anyone who will listen to not EVER use this company.

Message 13 of 51
ACE - Expert

@lainiebug wrote:

Unfortunately the designated UPS return stores cannot read the bar codes on the older equipment when you try to return it. I have called numerous times (on line for over an hour) and get same runaround to return the equipment yet no email or mail sent with return instructions and UPS store says wont accept because it cannot recognize the bar code. Customer service will not give me confirmation codes for my conversations with them. They will not tell me to keep the equipment yet don't send anything to return it. Thus I hesitate to send it to the recycling company in Denver. Direct TV is the absolute worst, worst business. How they stay in business is a wonder to me. The UPS store rep stated she receives so much returned equipment daily from them.  I was a loyal paying customer for 15 years and cancelled service because THEY failed to show to update my equipment that failed. I then got rid of my ATT internet just because they are now with Direct TV. Returning the ATT modem was a piece of cake. They sent an email, instructions and imagine that....equipment returned with confirmation receipt! It's obvious that even thought he companies have merged that they work independently of each other.   At this point I refuse to continue to waste my time calling again and again and am waiting for the coveted letter stating that I owe them money for the equipment. They are the biggest joke.  I will tell anyone who will listen to not EVER use this company.

What DVR/Receiver models are you trying to return?  If the UPS store can't read the bar code, I'm guessing this equipment is too old for DirecTV to want it back. 

Message 14 of 51
ACE - Expert

@lainiebug

Sounds like it might be a non-returnable model then. To be sure, what are the model numbers of the boxes you are trying to return?

Currently the only returnable models should be any Genie and Mini Genie (except 1st generation HR34 and C31), Genie-2 (HS17), and the most recent HD non-DVR (H25) as they are all SWM only boxes.

Message 15 of 51
Share this topic
Share this topic
Additional Support