Explore & discover

Helpful Links

Regional sports package

Voyager

Regional sports package

I have the choice channel line up which apparently includes 3 regional sports channels.  Neither of these channels were active upon account activation.  I had to ask for a specific channel to be activated and am being charged for it.  Now when I ask to have that channel cancelled the I'm told it is part of the Choice package and cannot be cancelled unless the whole channel package is changed. If its included in the line-up, why am i paying for it? Any answers?

Message 1 of 12
ACE - Professor

Re: Regional sports package

What was the specific channel that had to be activated, something doesn't sound right to me about your post, I used to work for directv

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 2 of 12
Voyager

I had to activate Fox Sports North.  If its "included" in the regional sports package listed in Choice lineups, why am i paying for it?

Message 3 of 12
ACE - Expert

If you are in Choice, Xtra (not Preferred Xtra), Ultimate, or Premier you get RSNs included. Your address determines which RSNs/teams you get and what the RSN fee is: www.directv.com/rsn

The RSN fee is a regulatory fee and could range between $2 to $8 depending on what RSNs cover your market (or $0 if you live where there are no RSNs).

If you have the Sports Pack $13.99 you get over 34 RNS and specialty sport channels. This pack doesn't charge the RSN fee itself. But the out of market RSNs still blackout professional games of course. If in Choice or above you still get charged the RSN fee as normal because of the package itself.

So check the RSN lookup and verify what RSNs you get included (which are subject to the RSN fee).

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(Included after every post)
I am a customer, not an employee. This is a public forum.
For official support call DirecTV 1-800-531-5000 or AT&T 1-800-288-2020.
Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 4 of 12
ACE - Professor

Now that I think about it,  there are some rsn's that do require having xtra or above, they're  not included with just choice,  what's your zip code?

Message 5 of 12
Voyager

I think I understand now about the RSNs.  I'll just continue to pay and when my two years are up, I'll go back to cable.

Message 6 of 12
ACE - Expert
Solution
Accepted by topic author
Accepted by Wes1953
‎12-14-2017 6:27 PM

Other TV providers costs are with RSN fees as well. Some just hide it in the package cost. Directv itemizes so it is clear. Plus not every market charges the same. Those in NY pay the highest tier over $7 for their RSN fee.

And unlike other providers, Directv offers the Preferred Xtra package which is for those that watch little to no sports. Since no RSNs, there is no regulatory fee, not even bundled into the cost of the package itself.

Sports are expensive. It is what our country values.

Tags (1)
Message 7 of 12
Mentor

so what channels are the sports shows on?

Message 8 of 12
ACE - Expert

@jibc wrote:

That's a very broad question.  Sports shows are provided on a wide variety of DirecTV channels.  

Message 9 of 12
ACE - Expert

@jibc wrote:

There are tons of sports that show on many channels. Could you be more specific?

Message 10 of 12
Mentor

Yeah I finally got that figured out. Only too4 30 minutes on the telephone
with a rep who had to repeat everything a couple of time due to the language
difference.

Would be nice if the subscription package listed what channels are included
so if I wanted to watch them I could add them to my channel lineup list.
Message 11 of 12
ACE - Expert

The package only lists the channels that everyone in the country receives.

Local channels and Regional Sport Networks (and in some cases specific teams if a RSN has multiple that have different markets) are specific to your address. You move, your package remains the same but your locals and RSNs may change.

To confirm exactly which ones you get:

www.directv.com/rsn

www.directv.com/locals

Message 12 of 12
Share this topic
Share this topic
Announcements

If your DIRECTV account has recently moved into myAT&T, let us help you manage your DIRECTV account in myAT&T.

Additional Support