Explore & discover

Helpful Links

Regional Sports Fee

Contributor

Regional Sports Fee

Does this fee always appear on your bill even if you don't have the premium sports package?

Message 1 of 6
ACE - Expert
Solution
Accepted by topic author
Accepted by chrounds
‎02-14-2018 8:39 AM

Re: Regional Sports Fee

Yes.  You would need to subscribe to a package with no sports channels to avoid this fee. 

For official support call DirecTV 1-800-531-5000 or AT&T 1-800-288-2020.
Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Tags (1)
Message 2 of 6
Contributor

Does Direct TV have a non-sports channel package?

Message 3 of 6
Contributor

Why does Direct TV charge a regional sports fee to me when I NEVER watch any sports and do not even want the channels.  I never watch the religious channels and the shopping channels and do not want them but at least I am not forced to pay for them??? This is extortion! To get the channels I want I am stuck w/ sports, which i could not care less about!  When is Direct TV, Uverse and every other cable company going to put together a package that includes all the channels w/o sports?  

Message 4 of 6
ACE - Expert

Packages below choice have no RSN fees and the Preferred Xtra package that you have to call to get.

Everyone pays for channels they don't watch.

Tags (0)

7 of 7
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 5 of 6
ACE - Expert

The Regional Sports Network (RSN) fee historically applies to all packages Choice and above, which currently includes Xtra, Ultimate, and Premier. This is because they include the RSNs and specific teams for your address. The RSN fee has nothing to do with the premium Sports Pack.

The Sports Pack gives you over 35 RSN and specialty sport networks. If you are in a package that does not include your in-market RSNs (such as Family, Select, Entertainment), the Sports Pack also includes your RSNs but no RSN fee. The RSN fee is based on your main package, not your add on servies. As a note the Sports Pack will still blackout any professional games that are not in-market. So it is not a way to avoid a out of market subscription (such as MLB Extra Innings).

For those that watch little to no sports, at least not the RSNs, there is a new package. Preferred Xtra has no RSN fee, adds a few channels from the Ultimate level, and is slightly cheaper in base cost than Xtra. You can even have Preferred Xtra with the Encore pack for cheaper than the cost of Ultimate with the RSN fee. This package is not publically listed, I assume because it doesn't showcase sports which is one of their biggest selling points, but is available to existing customers who call in and request it. I am on this package myself as it hit the sweet spot for my household. Wished they had it around when I started with DirecTV, but they only came out with it a little over 2 years ago around the same time they started itemizing the RSN fee instead of it being hidden in the package cost like it used to be.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(Included after every post)
I am a customer, not an employee. This is a public forum.
For official support call DirecTV 1-800-531-5000 or AT&T 1-800-288-2020.
Message 6 of 6
Share this topic
Share this topic
Announcements

If your DIRECTV account has recently moved into myAT&T, let us help you manage your DIRECTV account in myAT&T.

Additional Support