Explore & discover

Helpful Links

Price increase

Tutor

Price increase

I don't have a question-just comment. It is outrageous the amount you charge for satalite and now that AT&T "merged" we pay more! No wonder so many are going to antenna.  I am now looking into it myself. Unless you come up with Al a Carte where we don't get ripped off on 70% channels you don't watch...I'm changing. Dish Network or Antenna! 

Message 1 of 15
ACE - Expert
Solution
Accepted by ACE - Professor (ACE - Professor)
Accepted by nabukl
‎12-15-2018 9:51 AM

Re: Price increase

AT&T's acquisition of DirecTV did not change monthly costs. The annual price adjustment that has been occurring since before AT&T affects base cost (usually the Feb bill). Any other changes in monthly costs are when discounts end or you change what services you have. So if you look over your bills you will see the real reason you pay more as it will be itemized and you can see what changed.

Al-a-cate will not happen. Networks package the channels to TV providers which are required in turn to package it to us. Changing TV providers will not get away from that. 

Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Tags (1)
Message 2 of 15
Tutor

NO GOOD AT&T  and DIRECTV...you would think they would do move for long term customer but no, they reel them in as new customer and then give them all they want, then drain them dry(dime them to death on all services)after 1 to 2 yrs...And oh y'all they tell you something on the phone they will give you and you don't see it happening...charging for a receiver that is not on,was supposed to send you a box to return...never received it....I think the best thing to do is for everybody to switch cable company every 2 to 3 years so you can get the best DEALS.

AND THAT IS MY OPINION....

Message 3 of 15
ACE - Expert

And how is this different from what other companies do?

You take deactivated receivers to a UPS/FedEx store to return them provided they are returnable.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 4 of 15
ACE - Expert

@lifeisgo wrote:

NO GOOD AT&T  and DIRECTV...you would think they would do move for long term customer but no, they reel them in as new customer and then give them all they want, then drain them dry(dime them to death on all services)after 1 to 2 yrs...And oh y'all they tell you something on the phone they will give you and you don't see it happening...charging for a receiver that is not on,was supposed to send you a box to return...never received it....I think the best thing to do is for everybody to switch cable company every 2 to 3 years so you can get the best DEALS.

AND THAT IS MY OPINION....

All TV providers have an intro deal to attract business. After that we go to regular cost, with some specials along the way. Normally the later discounts will never be as much as the 1st year. Personally I see the "deal hopping" more for people who cannot manage their finances around what things actually cost. I would rather keep good quality then constantly chasing the "best deal" just to save a few bucks for a short time. If I had to jump around like that I would drop TV all together as I don't need it to live.

DirecTV no longer sends you a return box. They changed the process over a year ago. Now you take the receiver/client boxes to a participating FedEx or UPS store (not USPS) for your free return. Just have account number handy and keep receipt showing they took boxes and tracking number for reference. If being charged you mean a non-return fee (NRF). That charge should reverse off your account within 48 hours of them receiving the box back. If you are still seeing the $7 TV fee on the bill then that means it was never deactivated in the first place.

Message 5 of 15
Tutor

I believe there should be a reward credit to those who stay with DTV over the years (loyalty credit) and pay their balance without fail every month.  When you treat your loyal customers with respect and credit them for being such great customers, they are less likely to switch and it's pretty much guaranteed money for the company.  Plus, what better way to spread positive advertising from satisfied customers!  It's clearly a win/win for both company and customer.  When you punish loyal customers by sneaking in extra costs or not notifying them of contract expiration and offering options, etc., you might just find yourself losing some of the best customer base.  Instead, you get those who do hop from company to company and poor reviews.  It seems quality customer retention is a positive company strategy.  Just my opinion.

Message 6 of 15
ACE - Expert

@member126 

An automatic rewards program sounds nice, but to date they have not done so. Instead they have offers (on an account by account basis) for those who are not satisfied enough and call in to discuss their options.

Extra costs are not "sneaking in". Monthly discounts expire very clearly on the bill (1 of 12, 2 of 12, etc.). As for the price adjustment that has happened the last several years in a row, they send out notice in December each year explaining it with a link to the adjustment list so we can see how much it affects us that year. If you need to check this year's then go to www.att.com/2019pricing for the details.

I am not aware of any company that notifies customers when their contract expires. Not up to them to remind us as all that happens is we go month to month after that. Most service agreements are for getting upgrade of equipment. When the 24 months completes, it doesn't cause any changes on the bill or service, so there is no notification needed. If there was a monthly discount for the same time, it is listed on the bill every month so again they have need to notify as they expect people to do the responsible thing and read their bill (yes I get that too many do not, but that is their own fault and not DirecTV's).

Message 7 of 15
Tutor

Yes, you are right that there is notification when your contract ends on your bill but you have to watch for it and be alert to when it happens.  Most customers don't look for it because it's usually in a place you don't see it or they are just too busy making a living and have a million other things to do.  Many customers do want to keep their discounts, and not just because they are too poor to afford their service, but because they believe their loyalty justifies some sort of reward which I don't think is unreasonable.  Just because other companies don't do it, doesn't me you have to follow along.  Why not be better?  Why not be superior than the other satellite or cable companies?  Why not offer a simple reminder by text or email that is generated automatically when your contract is about to expire?  Why not offer a reward discount?  Also, just because you don't have to, doesn't mean you shouldn't offer these services or rewards to your customers.  This is what builds your reputation as a company that cares about their customers, especially your loyal ones!  I don't think there are enough companies out there that really care about customer service anymore.  It use to be important.  I guess they have all become too big & bureaucratic to care about them.  Seems like they need more competition for them to care.  About the only company that I have had exceptional service with is T-mobile and it's why I have stuck with them for so long.  I wish they were in the TV business!  DTV has been so difficult to deal with and there hasn't been consistency with statements and offers given from one sales rep to another.  You get disconnected or hung up on and, as a loyal customer, my husband and I have about had it with them.  It is what it is and hopefully, it will get better.  I know, fat chance but I guess we will see especially after this merger with AT&T.  I am more optimistic than my husband who deals with the sales reps more than me. There are other options and we are now at a point where we are exploring all of them.   

Message 8 of 15
ACE - Expert

I never said there is notification on bill when contract ends, as there is none. Just that monthly discounts count down on every monthly bill. Even if you don't read through every single month, but review it once in a while, you can update yourself on when the discounts end. And the bill is very easy to read. In fact it is a much better format then it was years ago, especially when it comes to discounts. Used to be it would say you had discount for so long, but would not say where you were at in it. Now I daresay the bill has been simplified enough that many elementary kids could understand it.

Perhaps a small automatic reward program might stave off some from calling in whining about getting a huge discount all the time might help things. Networks charge TV providers a lot of money to carry the channels. Just because we have been customers for years doesn't mean DirecTV is building up a surplus of funds to give huge rewards to everybody all the time. Plus right now they are working on integrating so many things from AT&T's acquisition, so I wonder how much of their funds are still tied up in getting that completed. Especially since some of the integration did not go as smoothly as we had hoped.

Customer service is important, but I understand in the end they have to do what is right from a business standpoint. Can't hand-hold all customers and expect to still make a profit to grow and improve the business. Any improvements that may be done, or might be needed, for customer service should not include taking responsibility away from us as the customer. I say review your programming package and see if it best suits your needs. Personally I would rather have the right setup, which would be my long term stable savings, then hoping I am getting enough discounts on too high a package to put it within a comfortable budget.

Message 9 of 15

Directv only charge $7.00 for two extra boxes.  Received my May bill and was charged me $12.89 more because they did not informed me that ATT charges $7.00 for each. I been with Directv for years I am considering canceling Att. already canceled internet because they are over priced. I am retired  and they refuse to give use long time customers on fixed incomes a break. That is why I cancel internet when they raised my bill from $40.10 to over $64.00. We should be able to talk with someone that can make dissensions when we request to talk to that person instead of being hung up on like I was today.

Message 10 of 15

ATT do nothing for long term customers. I have been with Directv for years I payed $7.00  for two additional tvs. I received my may bill was charged $7.00 plus $4.89 dollars for prorated days. When I called today about the charge that is when I was informed why my bill was $12.89 more. The only reason that recurred is I had to have a tec come to the has to change a faulty ATT box and has it was it took 3 boxes off his truck to find one that worked. he reported I had three boxes, but did not informed me of the extra charge. I called today to fine out the extra charge that is when I was informed of the extra $7.00 plus $4.89. I dropped one of those boxes today. I would have do it soon if ATT would have informed me earlier of the extra charge. Affter a long conversation to get the extra $12.89 charge off my bill I ask to speak to someone with authority they hung up on me.

Message 11 of 15
ACE - Expert

@cinders1951 

AT&T did not change DirecTV's billing model.

If you have an older account, the Primary TV fee of $7 is credited off the bill. But you pay $10 HD, $10 DVR, $3 Whole Home DVR. ($23)

If you have a newer account (late 2015 when billing model changed, before AT&T acquisition) then Primary TV $7 is not credited, but Advanced Receiver Services are $15. ($22).

If a box is replaced the bill should show a partial credit on a TV fee reflecting the one removed, but a partial charge for the one added in its place. This should even out. If the old box was not deactivated (an uncommon, but not unheard of situation), then that would cause a higher bill in error.

So billing model for an existing account doesn't change. Either there was an error with boxes being deactivated/activated, or there was an upgrade resulting in receiver services you didn't already have.

Message 12 of 15
Coach

It is ridiculous that we are paying $167 a month when we only watch 12 channels on the entire Extra Package.  The majority of channels are Infomercials.  

The way the web site is set up makes it too difficult to try to decipher if a lesser package would include those 12 channels so we are hesitant to downgrade.  

To add insult to injury, one of our receivers acts up all the time and the screen jumps around and looks all pixilated.  Yes we have had a technician come out to check it and it is still not working correctly.  Very frustrating.  

We have been with Direct TV for many years.  We are considering going back to a regular outside antenna.  

Message 13 of 15
ACE - Expert

@lindcj 

Informercials are certainly not the majority of channels, but understand it can feel that way if you only watch a few of the channels you do have. I would check the channel lineups to see if Xtra is the lowest costing package for what you enjoy, or if you might be able to step it down. Here are the very easy lineups: https://support.directv.com/dtv-programming/360

If you don't watch sport channels, there is also Preferred Xtra (less cost than Xtra and no RSN fee, so closer to Choice in total cost). Since quite a few front line agents seem unaware of this package (or don't admit to it), it might just be a retention offer now. If this is the package for you, then call DirecTV 1-800-531-5000 and when you get the voice system say "cancel" to route you directly.

Regarding the one box that has trouble:

What model is the box?

Is there an error message as well, or just the picture jumps around and becomes pixelated?

To narrow down where the problem is coming from;

Verify cord between box and TV is free of debris and secure.

Coax to box is finger tight.

Try a different cord to TV, including another port on the TV if available.

Make sure box is connected directly to TV (not something in between bridging it).

If the TV is one that can connect to internet, check for any firmware/software updates.

Red button reset the DirecTV box

Unplug power from TV for at least 20 seconds.

Try swapping box with one of your others and see if the problem stays with the box or at the TV location.

If box itself is the problem, then call DirecTV and have it warranty replaced for just $19.95 delivery. If problem is not the box but  stays in the room, and confirms it is not the TV itself then they need to get a tech back out.

Message 14 of 15
Coach

Thank you for all the great advice.  Will check it out!  
Message 15 of 15
Share this topic
Share this topic
Additional Support