Explore & discover

Helpful Links

Poor customer service with AT&T/DirecTV

Tutor

Poor customer service with AT&T/DirecTV

Wasn't sure where to post this as it spans several issues.

I have been having very poor customer service across both AT&T and DirecTV. Let's start with AT&T. I had a phone warranty claim and they sent me another (refurbished phone). That phone went bad after about 4-5 months of use. They then sent me a 2nd refurbished which went bad after about 2 months. They then sent me a 3rd refurbished phone that went bad before the previous phone had time to ship back to them (they want you to return the bad phone within 10 days or charge you $900). They just now sent me a 4th phone that WENT BAD IN TWO DAYS. I haven't even sent the previous one back yet! This latest one the screen wasn't even set correctly and was sticking out enough for me to notice something was off.

Let's switch to DirecTV. I pay monthly for the Premiere Protection Plan. I got kids and they are tough on iPad's. I had 3 things that I filed a claim on at the same time. An iPad, a 48" TV and a 65" TV.

For iPad's they send you packaging to ship it back in. I had to call 3 or 4 times over a 2 week period to get the packaging sent so I could send back the iPad. On the 3rd call they were able to tell me they did ship the packaging which they ended up sending to a UPS access point instead of my house. So I had to drive across the city to pick it up. No idea why they would do that? Hadn't done that in the past.

The 48" TV they dispatched a local technician who was able to come and take pictures of the TV and move the paperwork through and the TV ended up getting replaced, however I had to call DTV 3 or 4 times for updates. Each time they didn't really have any updates and would "escalate" the case each time. This whole process took about 3 weeks, but in the end I got the TV replaced as they did no longer made the parts it needed.

The 65" is really what caused me to post here. For some reason they dispatched a technician from a business that is an hour and 45 minutes from me. For the 48" they sent someone that was down the road. Doesn't make much sense. The technician eventually came and took pictures of the TV. He didn't inspect it or anything. Walked in, snapped some pictures, and left. There is some pixel loss and lines on the TV. No physical damage. I didn't hear from DTV for weeks. Remember, I filed all these at the same time. I was able to sort out the iPad shipping issues, the 48" issues and even choose a replacement and it arrived, and I still had gotten NOTHING from the 65". I called 4 or 5 times (at this point I have lost track of all the calls). I can't even get the company from an hour and 45 minutes away to give me an update. They say call DTV, DTV says they don't know. 

So today, I finally got a call and all they could tell me is it was declined due to physical damage. Very frustrating as there wasn't any physical damage. The technician barely looked at it. Just an overall really bad customer service experience for about a month now.

Message 1 of 7
ACE - Expert

Re: Poor customer service with AT&T/DirecTV

The protection plan is handled by a third party company not by DTV.

Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 2 of 7
Tutor

I get that but their name isn't on the service. It isn't "A Third Party Premiere Protection Plan". It is the DirecTV Premiere Protection Plan. I am paying DirecTV a monthly fee. It is their responsibility to act on behalf of their customers to find a solution or risk losing them. 

Message 3 of 7
Tutor

Quick update: I received my 4th replacement phone from AT&T and it is 128g. My phone was 256g. Color me surprised.

Message 4 of 7
Tutor

Another update. The 4th replacement phone is also now malfunctioning. I contacted AT&T and they told me to contact Asurion, who then told me to contact AT&T.

Message 5 of 7
Tutor

I will be cancelling DirecTV in favor of YouTube TV and will also be switching to T-Mobile. 

Message 6 of 7

I did the same thing, got tired of the run around, cancelled went with Xfinity and t-mobile.

Message 7 of 7
Share this topic
Share this topic
Additional Support