Explore & discover

Helpful Links

Impacted by the government shutdown? AT&T can help.  Learn more

Never Requested or Authorized NFL Sunday Ticket

Tutor

Never Requested or Authorized NFL Sunday Ticket

I just wanted to let you know that I received a surprising bill from DirecTV and wanted to apprise you of the situation in case it impacts other residents. 

I have always had the basic cable which my apartment offers as part of a group package with $0 billed to each resident. . . thus, you can imagine the surprise when I received a "Past due" bill from DirecTV saying I owed $44.99 a month for "NFL Sunday Ticket 2016" for the last two months.

I researched this online and it is a fairly common scam in that DirecTV basically assign packages to subscribers and if they do not cancel, they begin to charge.  In cases like mine, no approval was ever granted by the subscriber.  This happened even though I NEVER had any interaction with DirecTV or ever ordered NFL Sunday Ticket or ever approved any charge or subscription.  I am not sure if they sent me notices about this via mail as I am rarely in Denver these days.  Regardless, "implicit consent" is NOT consent.

In any case, I called DirecTV today and they removed the charges because I called BEFORE Regular Season started.  I am concerned that DirecTV's "modus-operandi" is to charge the fake renewal to me again next year.

How do I ensure I am never billed for un-requested subcriptions again?

Message 1 of 40
Contributor

Re: Never Requested or Authorized NFL Sunday Ticket

Yeah, anyone who side with the company that we have called multiple times to say, "We do not want NFL Ticket! We do not authorize you to Auto-renew!" Directv still auto-renew, we call them back after realizing they did auto-renew. And the response is, "Well you should have read your bill!"

There is something wrong with Directv and with the people that defend this kind of practice!

Message 31 of 40
ACE - Expert

If you opted out of the auto renew, but it comes back on then either there was an issue with the system or the agent who supposedly removed it. This is different from the many other people who ignore their bills. I would still suggest after removing, to check the bill come June to make sure the renewal notice is not there. That way any issue could be caught before you are billed.

With accounts being moved from DirecTV's proprietary system to a new AT&T account system (RC1) I dare say it is possible that someone who gets migrated over might have the system pull old services over and renew in error. In any case, opt out and just check on the June bill to verify the issue is done. If it continues, I would request a supervisor as you shouldn't have to keep going through this.

If opted out it should stay that way unless you choose to opt back in. Not defending any errors, just in most cases it is people who ignore their bills.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 32 of 40
Contributor

yes they do just add it. I am in the process of filing a claim in small claim court now against them. This summer they sent out notices that NFL Sunday ticket would be added to our account unless we responded by a certain date. I use auto deduct and electronic billing so i never received a notice.Whatever reason i never saw it. First bill i got i called to see what was up. I was told it was canceled and i would get a credit. well it didn't get cancelled. Next month i was in a bust place working like 70 or 80 hours a week and did not notice the bill. The the 3rd month bill i called again. Again i called and was told it was stopped and i would get a refund. After a few days i checked and was told my claim was denied. i had to have it cancelled be Oct. 19th or it could not be cancelled. And no refunds. They don't offer refunds on Sunday Ticket.  $198.00 was my cost. So I'm getting ready to sue in small claims.

Message 33 of 40
Contributor

Ok I also happened to me and they advised me that they would cancel it but had to pay for the whole season. I was also charged for an adult channel that they could not figure out why I was being charged. They agreed to refunded me for 3 months. Not fair

Message 34 of 40
ACE - Expert

@Notfair wrote:

Ok I also happened to me and they advised me that they would cancel it but had to pay for the whole season. I was also charged for an adult channel that they could not figure out why I was being charged. They agreed to refunded me for 3 months. Not fair

If you were just now trying to remove NFL Sunday Ticket then you would be trying to remove too late for the current season.

If you add the NFL Sunday Ticket, or just have from the free intro offer, it auto renews each year until you choose to opt out of it.

Order confirmation of intro offer details this.

DirecTV reminds you on your June bill that the auto renew will start and what the cost will be for that season.

The 1st of 6 installments starts on the July bill.

You have until start of season (2nd Sunday in September) to opt out before that season in secured.

If you opt out after the installments started, but before start of season, then the installments are credited back on the next bill.

If you call AFTER the season starts, then you are locked in for that season as you waited too long, but you can still opt out of the renewal going forward.

So DirecTV gives plenty of information, and even a few months of notice before you are locked into the season. As long as you do not ignore your bills, you will have plenty of warning.

As for the adult programming, that is another matter. That gets added either logging into your account online, by the remote, or calling in and doing it through customer care. Customer care would see when it starts and should have listed in their system on method of order (remote, online, or agent). If it was ordered by remote or online, all you can do is change your account password and setup parental controls on the boxes. If by agent and no notes to show request (since you mention they couldn't figure out how it was added), then either they have a problem agent who added it, or perhaps it was a request during any time the systems are down for maintenance and someone typed in the account number wrong. So this is something they could research a little better. However if this is what you meant by only 3 months refunded, suggesting it was on there long, then that is way too long to be unaware that it was on your bill.

Yes DirecTV/AT&T needs to manage their agents to do the right thing and avoid mistakes. But it is also the responsibility of us customers to read our bills. They don't send those out just because they think it is fun. The monthly statement has important information. My guidance is always read the order confirmation and 1st bill of a new service. After that at minimum read through the bill if you make any changes, just to verify the bill going forward. Otherwise at that point just be aware of the amount you pay so that if you have a difference from prior bills, such as $30 - $40 for something like the NFL Sunday Ticket, then you can address it in a timely fashion instead of months after the fact.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 35 of 40
Tutor

Hi,

I would be interested in what happens in small claims court with this matter.  I didn’t know I was being billed for this either, & I never ordered it. The agent said I would get a refund for $293.94, & I never got it. When I reported them to the BBB, a rep from the office of the president left me a message saying they are standing by their charges even when their agent said they would issue me a refund.  I admit I didn’t read my bill, & I can own that. I’ve been their customer since the early 90’s & had everthing bundled with them.  This relationship is coming to an end.  I cancled Direct TV & went with a live streaming service.  Today I went with another internet provider & canceled my service with them.  As soon as my phone contract is up.  I’ll be gone.  

Message 36 of 40
ACE - Expert

@mstill wrote:

Hi,

I would be interested in what happens in small claims court with this matter.  I didn’t know I was being billed for this either, & I never ordered it. The agent said I would get a refund for $293.94, & I never got it. When I reported them to the BBB, a rep from the office of the president left me a message saying they are standing by their charges even when their agent said they would issue me a refund.  I admit I didn’t read my bill, & I can own that. I’ve been their customer since the early 90’s & had everthing bundled with them.  This relationship is coming to an end.  I cancled Direct TV & went with a live streaming service.  Today I went with another internet provider & canceled my service with them.  As soon as my phone contract is up.  I’ll be gone.  

Nothing will happen in small claims court.  The DirecTV contract limits us to "binding arbitration".  

Message 37 of 40
Tutor

Thank you for replying.  I have a question though.  If they do this with NFL Sunday tkt, then why don’t they do the same thing with HBO, Showtime, etc,? 

Message 38 of 40
ACE - Expert

They do, the premium channels are free for the first three months then auto renews at the current price unless canceled on a new customer order.

Message 39 of 40
ACE - Expert

@mstill wrote:

Thank you for replying.  I have a question though.  If they do this with NFL Sunday tkt, then why don’t they do the same thing with HBO, Showtime, etc,? 

They essentially do.

The premium packs (like HBO) are free for the 1st 3 months as part of the intro offers.

It is free as a credit for the amount is applied to the 1st 3 bills.

On bill number four the credit has stopped applying, but the channels are still there.

It is up to the customer to call in to remove the premium pack when done.

Order confirmation details this.

If you get a free 3 month special, or just a discounted amount, it works the same. The credit applies for 3 months, but the premium pack does not auto remove. You have to call when done.

This is why it is important to read the order confirmation and your monthly bills. Regarding the NFL Sunday Ticket, you get months of notification before you are secured in. People who do not find out until after the season starts, or in some cases after a couple years (seen commented on the forum), have nobody to blame but themselves for ignoring the bills. It is not DirecTV's responsibility to manage the customer's finances. They send the monthly bill statement with all the information needed. If somebody doesn't notice a $40 or so difference on their bill for months, that is on them.

Message 40 of 40
Share this topic
Share this topic
Additional Support