Explore & discover

Helpful Links

Never Requested or Authorized NFL Sunday Ticket

Tutor

Never Requested or Authorized NFL Sunday Ticket

I just wanted to let you know that I received a surprising bill from DirecTV and wanted to apprise you of the situation in case it impacts other residents. 

I have always had the basic cable which my apartment offers as part of a group package with $0 billed to each resident. . . thus, you can imagine the surprise when I received a "Past due" bill from DirecTV saying I owed $44.99 a month for "NFL Sunday Ticket 2016" for the last two months.

I researched this online and it is a fairly common scam in that DirecTV basically assign packages to subscribers and if they do not cancel, they begin to charge.  In cases like mine, no approval was ever granted by the subscriber.  This happened even though I NEVER had any interaction with DirecTV or ever ordered NFL Sunday Ticket or ever approved any charge or subscription.  I am not sure if they sent me notices about this via mail as I am rarely in Denver these days.  Regardless, "implicit consent" is NOT consent.

In any case, I called DirecTV today and they removed the charges because I called BEFORE Regular Season started.  I am concerned that DirecTV's "modus-operandi" is to charge the fake renewal to me again next year.

How do I ensure I am never billed for un-requested subcriptions again?

Message 1 of 40
ACE - Expert

Re: Never Requested or Authorized NFL Sunday Ticket

And $40 increase in your bill for a couple months before start of season is not fine print but very transparent. Companies do very well informing customers of their services, but are not going to ring a bell over their head or such to bring attention. There is customer responsibility to read a bill, or at the very least know what you are paying. So with order confirmation, bill reminder, perhaps an email reminder, and 2 months of about $40 on bill I see no good excuse on why people don't know they have it. I have even heard people say "I have auto bill pay so I don't have to read the bill". Its like some believe ignorance somehow protects them.

I always suggest read through order confirmation and 1st bill of a new service, the following bill of making any changes to an existing service, and outside of that at the very least being aware of your total cost when you don't read through the bill. This is simple and is being financially responsible.

Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 16 of 40
Contributor

It's 1/2018 and we just found out this happened to us back in 9/2016. We've been customers for over 20 years and we're extremely upset NFL Sunday ticket was added to our account without our authorization.

After hours on the phone with 4 tiers of customer service we were finally told HOW this happened: since at least 9/2016 if anyone in your house clicks on a channel of any sports package, it is considered an authorization to enter their promotion and their automatic renewal.  That should NOT be allowed but they confirmed this is still going on 2.5 years later.  (IMHO this is something only an unethical company would continue.) They did refund a portion.  Lesson:  do NOT enroll in AutoPay unless you check your statements carefully each month as DirecTV has found a way to slip in products you had no intention of authorizing.

Message 17 of 40
ACE - Expert

@ETHICS_first

Wait...it's 2018 and you just found out about something happening since 2016???

Please people, read your bills, don't ignore them, and you won't be surprised YEARS later. Even if something happened that accidently added, or didn't realize you metal blanked and just clicked through an accept message, you would have months of notice (multiple months of charges, renewal notice, email reminders) to inform you so you can address it as soon as possible.

Information is very clear on the bills. Not the fault of any company if the customer willfully stays ignorant of that clear information.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 18 of 40
Contributor

Yes Juniper that is the clear part...

Message 19 of 40
Tutor

It was apparently free when dish was installed for 1st year and then on auto renew.  We didn’t realized we had it and don’t watch football anyway.  We have paperless billing and autopay so I don’t usually look at the bill.  We leave every November and return in May.  I  suspended TV service but now am being billed for the 2017 NFL package that we couldn’t have watched while our service was suspended.  Essentially told it’s my fault for not reading my bills and contract.  At my age it’s hard enough keeping up with the doctor bills😡

Message 20 of 40
Tutor

That sounds well and good IF you don’t have other things happening in your life.  With serious illness in a family one tends to just ignore the auto- bills.  Obviously there are many people annoyed by the NFL policy.  

Message 21 of 40
ACE - Expert

This is in the ads on their website in the conformation email and on the bills so how is it DTV's fault you don't read them?

Message 22 of 40
Tutor

I looked at my bills that supposedly gave me notice and it is not at all clear. My May bill has one line that says 2016 NFL Direct. 00.00. And next line says notice of auto renew 2017 NFL package 00.00. Seems to imply that the auto renew is 00.00.... Then I looked at the charges for May 2017 and June and they were both $180 some dollars because I had called to complain that we were being charged $53 for HBO, SHO and CineMax without asking for those. I was told that because my husband had signed up for a $10 promotional offer in early fall of 2016, they automatically renewed all the services we’d had at the time I requested a vacation hold in Nov 2016 and I had not requested that they cancel the HBO package. Anyway I was angry last year because I thought that when I’d asked to cancel my TV until May it would have ended the promotion. It also caused the recurring charges for $180 not to set off alarms. So this is the second year that I’ve had an unpleasant surprise after returning from Florida.
Perhaps you are jealous that someone could afford to spend 6 moths in Florida, or that you do not understand that as people age we have lots of issues that make it harder to watch every bill that arrives? I’m dealing with cancer, dementia, and chronic pain issues. I choose not to spend each day checking every line of every bill. Unfortunately it seems that DirectTV has chosen to taken advantage of the fact that some of us older people need a few more cycles and a little more patience.
Message 23 of 40
ACE - Expert

You don't have to read every line of your bill each month. It is highly suggested to read the bill following any changes (adding/removing services, one-time credits or monthly discount applied, etc.) to be sure everything is as expected.

As for the NFL Sunday Ticket, years ago it would just show a $0 item on the bill for the renewal. In the new formatted bill, it will show what the amount of the installments will be and a reminder on when you can opt out of it will be. Renewal in June, than the 1st two installments (July, August), and 2nd Sunday in September to be opted out. Unlike other companies which might call it enough notice with just the renewal, Directv understands that people still miss it so give it a couple bills after it has already started charging to opt out. As a $40 or so difference for NFL Sunday Ticket would reasonably stand out. So Directv did not take advantage, they did their part to inform you.

Certainly these responses are not being jealous of your time in Florida. My grandparents did the same thing from the main home in New York. I visited their Florida place several times. It was nice to visit, but not for me.

I am sorry that you are dealing with several medical issues. With some that you mentioned, I would suggest having a trusted family member or such either with Power of Attorney (general or specific as you are comfortable with), or at least listed as an authorized user on the Directv account to assist as needed and can even review bills if you are concerned about keeping up with the info.

Message 24 of 40
Contributor

Juniper, this is a total scam, do you work for Directv? We have called multiple years to say we never asked for NFL ticket, we don't want NFL ticket and they still charge you. Then they expect you to have to call ask them to remove something that you never asked for. Unless you call back to say We don't want NFL ticket they start charging you again. We never asked for or authorized NFL ticket, they still start charging you. We called them and told them we never authorized and eventually we got the 3 payments of $48.99 they had already charged. It did take talking to about 5 or 6 people, but I can't imagine what they do is legal, but they force you to spend time and energy to remove something you never asked for. We finally got sick of it and cancelled our service and their billing practices were a big reason for it.

Message 25 of 40
ACE - Expert

DTV told you in the beginning you will get it and how to cancel it so there is no scam.

Message 26 of 40
Former Employee

@sg01234,

No @Juniper does NOT work for Directv. But they have been a Directv subscriber for a long time now and know their stuff. This isn't a scam, its negligence. That's all it is. Not reading the contract is the issue here. Before people state they never accepted this contract, the point in which you sign off on any work is acceptance of the contract and any modifications. 

If this reply helped you please use Accept solution to mark it as an Accepted Solution.
Message 27 of 40
ACE - Expert

@sg01234 wrote:

Juniper, this is a total scam, do you work for Directv? We have called multiple years to say we never asked for NFL ticket, we don't want NFL ticket and they still charge you. Then they expect you to have to call ask them to remove something that you never asked for. Unless you call back to say We don't want NFL ticket they start charging you again. We never asked for or authorized NFL ticket, they still start charging you. We called them and told them we never authorized and eventually we got the 3 payments of $48.99 they had already charged. It did take talking to about 5 or 6 people, but I can't imagine what they do is legal, but they force you to spend time and energy to remove something you never asked for. We finally got sick of it and cancelled our service and their billing practices were a big reason for it.

I do not work for DirecTV.

This is not a scam, however you shouldn't have to call in multiple years to remove the NFL Sunday Ticket if you are not adding it back on at any point.

Most intro offers include the NFL Sunday Ticket free for the 1st football season in your service.

As stated in your paperwork (the order confirmation), it auto renews unless you opt out.

DirecTV puts a renewal notice on the June bill (usually an email as well if you have the correct one on file) informing it will start next month and what the cost details are and how much time you still have to opt out.

July is 1st of 6 installments on the bill.

You have until start of season (2nd Sunday in September) to opt out of the renewal.

If opted out in time, but after installments started, then installments credit back on the bill produced after the removal of course.

If you ever add the NFL Sunday Ticket back on, then that includes the auto renew so would have to opt out once again when you no longer want to keep it.

With being informed by the order confirmation you accepted, renewal notice on bill before charging, and any charges with months left to opt out there is no scam here or even deception. Even if you don't read every bill, having a $40 or so difference in bill cost should be a big heads up. If you get a service and then just completely ignore the bill, then that certainly is not the provider's fault. The bill is not "junk mail" as I've heard some other people say, it is important information that should be read.

Message 28 of 40
Tutor

Sorry but I can’t believe you. Anyone who had nothing invested in the discussion would not respond and blame the people who were “ripped off”
Message 29 of 40
ACE - Expert

@NanaMI wrote:
Sorry but I can’t believe you. Anyone who had nothing invested in the discussion would not respond and blame the people who were “ripped off”

You would be wrong then. I do not work for DirecTV.

I have just seen too many of these posts where someone claims to be a "victim" when in reality they just weren't reading their bill claiming they shouldn't have to. I am not saying this is the case 100% of the time as I have talked with someone where the situation was that they opted out of the NFL Sunday Ticket before the season started, but the renewal itself wasn't turned off so they had to callback the following year. When you opt out of the season, just double check with the agent that their system shows the renewal turned of as well in case it only processed half of the change. That way you shouldn't have to callback the following year, but give yourself a reminder to check that June bill for your piece of mind as that will show the renewal notice before it starts billing. Doesn't change the fact that it is not a scam and that it benefit people to take the time to read their bill.

I have known too many people, friends and others, who have gotten into issues because they have refused to read their bills thinking it is never their responsibility. So my investment is trying to make sure others are educated on the importance of reading their bills, knowing the basics on how these services work, so that they do not make the same mistakes out of pure ignorance.

Message 30 of 40
Share this topic
Share this topic
Additional Support