Explore & discover

Helpful Links

Impacted by the government shutdown? AT&T can help.  Learn more

Never Requested or Authorized NFL Sunday Ticket

Tutor

Never Requested or Authorized NFL Sunday Ticket

I just wanted to let you know that I received a surprising bill from DirecTV and wanted to apprise you of the situation in case it impacts other residents. 

I have always had the basic cable which my apartment offers as part of a group package with $0 billed to each resident. . . thus, you can imagine the surprise when I received a "Past due" bill from DirecTV saying I owed $44.99 a month for "NFL Sunday Ticket 2016" for the last two months.

I researched this online and it is a fairly common scam in that DirecTV basically assign packages to subscribers and if they do not cancel, they begin to charge.  In cases like mine, no approval was ever granted by the subscriber.  This happened even though I NEVER had any interaction with DirecTV or ever ordered NFL Sunday Ticket or ever approved any charge or subscription.  I am not sure if they sent me notices about this via mail as I am rarely in Denver these days.  Regardless, "implicit consent" is NOT consent.

In any case, I called DirecTV today and they removed the charges because I called BEFORE Regular Season started.  I am concerned that DirecTV's "modus-operandi" is to charge the fake renewal to me again next year.

How do I ensure I am never billed for un-requested subcriptions again?

Message 1 of 40
ACE - Expert

Re: Never Requested or Authorized NFL Sunday Ticket

NFL Sunday Ticket is a seasonal sport subscription that auto renews each year until you opt out of it. It is a common promotion to get it free in your 1st year of service, or it occasional has been offered as part of their movers deal.

Call Directv 1-800-531-5000 to remove it and opt out of renewel. Installments allready billed will be credited on following bill.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 2 of 40
Employee

@hschreib How long has been since you signed up for DIRECTV service?

Employee Contributor*
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 3 of 40
Tutor

I never signed up as DirecTV comes in my apartment and is included in the HOA.  For the three years I have lived there, I always received a $0 monthly bill.

Message 4 of 40
ACE - Expert

You should talk with your landlord, or whatever company provides the DirecTV service for your apartment complex (usually not DirecTV itself).   Let us know what you find out. 

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 5 of 40
Tutor

I never requested nor even accepted NFL Sunday Ticket.

A company should not assume that a consumer wants a service . . . and then expect the consumer to take the effort to decline or otherwise cancel.  I doubt that is even legal . . .

Message 6 of 40
ACE - Expert

Of course it's not legal.  But I highly doubt that DirecTV goes around willy nilly adding NFL Sunday Ticket to people's accounts.  Someone/somehow asked for it.  Perhaps someone in your apartment complex?  At any rate, I'll be curious to know what happened. 

Message 7 of 40
Tutor

I am super angry now as I have wasted a perfectly good evening trying to get a refund for the NFL Ticket.  Inever knew I had this-never knew i had to opt out of it and now I am being offered 1/2 of what DirectV has stolen from me because of the poor customer service of this company.  

Any of you interested in a class action suit against DirecTV?  I am ready to contact one of my lawyer friends about this.  

Let me know your thoughts please!

Message 8 of 40
Tutor

I am super angry now as I have wasted a perfectly good evening trying to get a refund for the NFL Ticket.  Inever knew I had this-never knew i had to opt out of it and now I am being offered 1/2 of what DirectV has stolen from me because of the poor customer service of this company.  

Any of you interested in a class action suit against DirecTV?  I am ready to contact one of my lawyer friends about this.  

Let me know your thoughts please!

Message 9 of 40
ACE - Expert

@challdo

As mentioned above, the NFL Sunday Ticket is a common 1st year or movers promotion.

Renewel notice is on your June or July bill, depending on your billing dates, which shows the cost and that you have until the start of the season in September to opt out. If you have a valid email on file you get an auto reminder this way as well. So not only the notices, but the installments start billing before the season is secured in.

This means even if you don't bother to read your full bill, and ignore the emails, you should be aware of a $30 to $40 difference on your payment giving you plenty of heads up. At that point you just call Directv to remove it and make sure renewel is turned off. If any installments had allready billed they credit back to the account within a couple days, which of course would be listed on the next bill sent out.

So in that case Directv did not steal from you. They provided you plenty of information on what you have. So as a courtesy they offered to meet you partway, even though they had no obligation to do so.

@hschreib

If you have not moved in 3 years and your apartment has Directv included at $0 than I would definately call Directv (1-800-531-5000) since that would neither have been a result of a new customer of movers special. If you for any other reason had the NFL Sunday Ticket last year, that would have just been the auto renewel. Otherwise it might just have been an error from your apartment setup with seperating the service for each resident.

Message 10 of 40
Contributor

I experienced exactly the same thing here in Phoenix AZ, this is totally a scam and people should be united to stop this indecent and immoral business behavior! 

Message 11 of 40
ACE - Expert

@frazer

NFL Sunday Ticket is not a scam. It is fully listed on your bill with months of notification. If you ignore your bills, that is not Directv's fault.

Message 12 of 40
Contributor

As the basic program is covered by HOA and free, there is no bills at all at all, then all of sudden they are charging you hundred of dollars!
Message 13 of 40
Tutor

It is Direct TV’s fault that they created intentionally hidden and deceptive charges in order to take money from unsuspecting customers. Direct TV hiding behind the small print legalese isn’t exactly an example of good customer service. If that is something Direct TV is proud of, then every Direct TV customer needs to rethink their service provider. 

Message 14 of 40
ACE - Expert

Gee it is not hidden, it is in the email sent before the install it is in their ads and on their website.

https://www.directv.com/

NFL SUNDAY TICKET 2018 season at no extra cost With CHOICE Package or above. Subscription renews automatically for 2019 season and each season thereafter at then prevailing rate (currently $293.94/season) unless you call to cancel prior to the start of the season. Req’s you to select offer.

Message 15 of 40
Share this topic
Share this topic
Additional Support