Explore & discover

Helpful Links

NFL Sunday Ticket and local Nexstar stations

Contributor

NFL Sunday Ticket and local Nexstar stations

If Direct Tv is not broadcasting my local Nexstar stations in September, will I be able to view NFL games shown locally on the Sunday ticket channel?  I don’t want to be blacked out.  Maybe I should drop my subscription to Sunday Ticket and just sign on to NFL.COM.

Message 1 of 10
ACE - Expert

Re: NFL Sunday Ticket and local Nexstar stations

ST will only provide out of market games, all in market games are blackout same as always.  You need an OTA antenna connected to your TV or to an LCC  to add the OTA channels to your HR44/54 receivers guide.

Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 2 of 10
ACE - Expert

@Gail00 wrote:

If Direct Tv is not broadcasting my local Nexstar stations in September, will I be able to view NFL games shown locally on the Sunday ticket channel?  I don’t want to be blacked out.  Maybe I should drop my subscription to Sunday Ticket and just sign on to NFL.COM.

NFL ST is only for out-of-market games. Nexstar cannot change NFL blackout rules.

In-market games are shown on your local channel. If said local has pulled their feed from DirecTV, then you will need to use a regular antenna to pick up the free broadcast.

If you have the 2nd or 3rd generation Genie (HR44, HR54) call DirecTV and see if you can get a hold of a Local Channel Connector (LCC). Accessory allows attaching of a antenna to your Genie. Don't have to switch inputs, can still record, and might even pick up additional channels that DirecTV doesn't have (such as sub-channels). Comes with a indoor antenna included to start. The LCC is still in testing phase, but being provided for free upon request to many in negotiation areas. There stock may be low so not an absolute guarantee.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(Included after every post)
I am a customer, not an employee. This is a public forum.
For official support call DirecTV 1-800-531-5000 or AT&T 1-800-288-2020.
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 3 of 10
Contributor

What is an LCC and how can this add to the user guide? Can we then record and save shows on local channels?
Message 4 of 10
ACE - Expert

LCC= Local channel connector comes with a flat amplified antenna and you have to have an HR44/54 Genie, if DTV has them in stock you have to call to get one and yes you can record the OTA channels the same as the sat channels, if using a custom/fav list you have to add the OTA channels to it.

Message 5 of 10
Contributor

Thank you for the great info!
Message 6 of 10
ACE - Expert

@Gail00 wrote:
What is an LCC and how can this add to the user guide? Can we then record and save shows on local channels?

Sorry if my prior post was a bit convoluted.

Local Channel Connector (LCC)

Compatible with 2nd and 3rd generation Genie (HR44 and HR54)

Allows a regular antenna to be connected to the Genie.

Comes with an indoor antenna, but you can use your own with it.

Receives over-the-air (OTA) channels thru the Genie so no need to switch inputs.

Receiving thru Genie means you can record from those OTA channels.

If you use a favorites list you will need to update when you have access to the additional channels.

Since you are receiving locals from antenna, not a rebroadcast from DirecTV's satellite, Nexstar (or any other local owner) cannot pull the channel without shutting down their entire broadcast to begin with.

Message 7 of 10
Contributor

So what if you don't live near the team but local CBS shows them most the time? Steelers fans living in North Carolina here. Local CBS typically shows the Steelers on Sundays and rarely have to watch them on the ticket but don't miss a game. Since they almost always show them local is it considered local or out of market game? That's our big question even though we are 8 hours away.

Message 8 of 10
ACE - Expert

@Hckyplyr72 

If a NFL game shows on a local you get through DirecTV, that confirms you are in-market. The teams have large markets, so in-market doesn't mean you are next door to the stadium.

So those games would be blacked out on the NFL Sunday Ticket and you would have to watch on your local CBS. This means regular antenna if DirecTV and Nexstar haven't come to an agreement by that point.

Message 9 of 10
ACE - Expert

So what if you don't live near the team but local CBS shows them most the time?

@Hckyplyr72 It does not matter. Any game on your local channel is considered in-market for you, so the Sunday Ticket channel will be blacked out.

Message 10 of 10
Share this topic
Share this topic
Announcements

If your DIRECTV account has recently moved into myAT&T, let us help you manage your DIRECTV account in myAT&T.

Additional Support