Explore & discover

Helpful Links

MUST READ - An in-depth look into scam phone calls

Former Employee

MUST READ - An in-depth look into scam phone calls

Earlier today we had a customer on the forum confirming if the calls he has received earlier in the day were try or scam/fake. They had made mention the phone number was '1888.258.0681' and was told to buy a $320 Ebay giftcard and to use the promo code 'DTV4781J'.

"Make note you can replace the Ebay giftcard with any other giftcard. Amazon, facebook, iTunes, etc etc etc. It all plays out the same way with the same results."

So I was bored and felt I needed to better understand how the scam works so I called the number above. I can see how people get easily confused.

When you call the number it plays an official sounding Directv welcome message. you are faced to press some buttons on a menu. 1 to make a payment, 2 to change programming and 0 to talk to an operator.

When you get connected with a operator. They ask for either your account number or phone number. you hear some tapping on a keyboard as they input those details into a computer. It's the following steps where they get the customers details. I gave them my phone number knowing I don't have an account, they got back to me after a brief hold telling me they couldn't find my phone number in the system then had me verify my name and service address.

[At this stage they now have your  either your Phone Number or Account Number, Your Name and Your Service Address.]

The operator came back telling me he had located my account and asked for my 4 digit passcode to further verify me.

[Now they have my Phone Number or Account Number, Your Name, Your Service Address & 4 digit passcode.]

At this stage they ask for the promotional code which i used DTV4781J, they operator then confirmed how much i have on the ebay card. I told him $320. They continued to tell me with that it would get me HBO and Showtime for life along with giving me a $40 credit each month.

He continued to ask me for the numbers on the back of the card under the scratch off area. 'If you give them this number you will never get a refund or track this money down. Once they input the real code that money is lost. I repeat NEVER give them information from a giftcard'.

I pretended to scratch the stuff off the card then continued to make up some numbers. After several attempts and several random fake numbers he told me to call him back in a few hours as their system seemed to be offline.

I'm assuming if I had given him real card details they would have continued by saying something like 'Thank you this has been accepted and credits applied to your account. Please allow xxx time to allow your account to take the changes'.

This scam is completed by fishing for information. i the consumer gave them everything they thought they needed. Remember everyone, Directv's phone number is 1800.531.5000. Don't fall for the pretenders.

If this reply helped you please use Accept solution to mark it as an Accepted Solution.
Message 1 of 68
ACE - Expert

Re: MUST READ - An in-depth look into scam phone calls

DTV replaces defective receivers for $20 shipping, That $199 is the upgrade fee if you don't have a free upgrade coming.

Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 61 of 68
Contributor

I have recently received several calls from what claimed to be AT&T fraud services stating about taking legal action for something. It didn’t sound legit so I have returned any calls. Just wondering has anyone else experienced this? Is it legit? E812124D-2ACF-401F-82FE-3399BFC0A75F.jpeg

Message 62 of 68
Contributor

I had a Customer Service Rep at Directv 800.531.5000 give me a “complaint Line” Number today that was a SCAM for Google Play Gift Cards. So it is Internal at Directv. And Directv does Not Care!!! 

Message 63 of 68

I've been trying to tell everyone that. If you do ever manage to get to
fraud/ scam department, they don't seem to care. It's all "not our fault,
good luck bud." All I can say is best of luck and be careful.
Message 64 of 68
ACE - Sage

@Firstloser wrote:
I've been trying to tell everyone that. If you do ever manage to get to
fraud/ scam department, they don't seem to care. It's all "not our fault,
good luck bud." All I can say is best of luck and be careful.

Well is it?   If you get a call and sucked into a scam, it’s got nothing to do with At&t.  Don’t answer the phone.

(The following is included after all posts to save typing) I don’t work for AT&T. My replies are based on experience and reading content available on the website. Our answers are honest, but not always appreciated. If you posted personal information, please edit and remove.
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 65 of 68

Quite a sageful response liz. Fact is directv/at&t has been compromised and apparently don't care. No alerts to customers or anything. Thanks again. 

Message 66 of 68
ACE - Sage

Compromised?    What does that mean?      Alerts for what? 

What does directv have to do with scam and spoofed calls?

If your comments are in reference to the original post, there is no information other than what you are lead to provide. The simple solution is you don’t provide any information. If you do/did, that’s your fault for falling for the scam.   You then should immediately access your accounts and change all your passwords, security codes, and probably your email address associated. 

(The following is included after all posts to save typing) I don’t work for AT&T. My replies are based on experience and reading content available on the website. Our answers are honest, but not always appreciated. If you posted personal information, please edit and remove.
Message 67 of 68

3 July jd2945 said someone on directv line directed him to scam number. Whether he called them or they called him, this does not seem right. When scammers called me they had my most recent payment amount along with address and billing information. Guess this is all normal in this day and age. 

Message 68 of 68
Share this topic
Share this topic
Announcements

If your DIRECTV account has recently moved into myAT&T, let us help you manage your DIRECTV account in myAT&T.

Additional Support