Explore & discover

Helpful Links

MUST READ - An in-depth look into scam phone calls

Former Employee

MUST READ - An in-depth look into scam phone calls

Earlier today we had a customer on the forum confirming if the calls he has received earlier in the day were try or scam/fake. They had made mention the phone number was '1888.258.0681' and was told to buy a $320 Ebay giftcard and to use the promo code 'DTV4781J'.

"Make note you can replace the Ebay giftcard with any other giftcard. Amazon, facebook, iTunes, etc etc etc. It all plays out the same way with the same results."

So I was bored and felt I needed to better understand how the scam works so I called the number above. I can see how people get easily confused.

When you call the number it plays an official sounding Directv welcome message. you are faced to press some buttons on a menu. 1 to make a payment, 2 to change programming and 0 to talk to an operator.

When you get connected with a operator. They ask for either your account number or phone number. you hear some tapping on a keyboard as they input those details into a computer. It's the following steps where they get the customers details. I gave them my phone number knowing I don't have an account, they got back to me after a brief hold telling me they couldn't find my phone number in the system then had me verify my name and service address.

[At this stage they now have your  either your Phone Number or Account Number, Your Name and Your Service Address.]

The operator came back telling me he had located my account and asked for my 4 digit passcode to further verify me.

[Now they have my Phone Number or Account Number, Your Name, Your Service Address & 4 digit passcode.]

At this stage they ask for the promotional code which i used DTV4781J, they operator then confirmed how much i have on the ebay card. I told him $320. They continued to tell me with that it would get me HBO and Showtime for life along with giving me a $40 credit each month.

He continued to ask me for the numbers on the back of the card under the scratch off area. 'If you give them this number you will never get a refund or track this money down. Once they input the real code that money is lost. I repeat NEVER give them information from a giftcard'.

I pretended to scratch the stuff off the card then continued to make up some numbers. After several attempts and several random fake numbers he told me to call him back in a few hours as their system seemed to be offline.

I'm assuming if I had given him real card details they would have continued by saying something like 'Thank you this has been accepted and credits applied to your account. Please allow xxx time to allow your account to take the changes'.

This scam is completed by fishing for information. i the consumer gave them everything they thought they needed. Remember everyone, Directv's phone number is 1800.531.5000. Don't fall for the pretenders.

If this reply helped you please use Accept solution to mark it as an Accepted Solution.
Message 1 of 68
Voyager

Re: MUST READ - An in-depth look into scam phone calls

Any advice for those of us suckered into the $300 EBay gift card scam? I am now being barraged with text messages and phone calls from sources claiming to represent Directv/ATT. I don't trust anyone calling or texting from such numbers as: (833)402-8987, (822)429-1557, (406)813-3522, etc, etc. I don't even trust the number on the ATT/Directv website (800)288-2020, as this is the number used by the scammer! Thanks.

Message 46 of 68
ACE - Expert

Once it works they sell your info to others scammers and it is easy to spoof caller id. Unless you call them then beware of anyone calling.

Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 47 of 68
ACE - Expert

@Junebug33 wrote:

Any advice for those of us suckered into the $300 EBay gift card scam? I am now being barraged with text messages and phone calls from sources claiming to represent Directv/ATT. I don't trust anyone calling or texting from such numbers as: (833)402-8987, (822)429-1557, (406)813-3522, etc, etc. I don't even trust the number on the ATT/Directv website (800)288-2020, as this is the number used by the scammer! Thanks.

If your phone provider supports services like NoMoRobo, that can help cut down on these calls.  But we all get them. The FCC really needs to do something about this.  Last week I had a scammer call my cell phone every day because my Social Security account had been deactivated.  Right. 

For official support call DirecTV 1-800-531-5000 or AT&T 1-800-288-2020.
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 48 of 68

As you may have seen above, they almost suckered me for $860, but before leaving the house to get the EBAY card, I decided to check online to see if it was a scam. Thanks to whoever did the first post!!!  I would recommend that you put DirecTV's phone number in your cell, and they will generally always call you with the number ending in 5000.  I had to do this after one of their sales peeps called me up trying to sell me movie channels etc after I had it installed. I was busy and basically said get to the point. The guy who indeed was calling from DirecTV told me he wanted to "***" me.  I couldn't believe it. He then proceeded to call me for a few days, about 5 times, and the last time my son answered. I did call and report it to DirecTV, but unfortunately they hire quite a number of sleezeballs. Here are the numbers that was involved in this EBAY scam, which the initial contact coming via text message.  833-429-1557    and told me to  call back to 888-359-1324  I would call DirecTV and request they give you $300 in credits.  In my situation, they had my account # and address, and told this info to me. The scammers either work there, have a friend that works there, or DirecTV accounts have been hacked. Therefore, I think DirecTV should do something for you, furthermore, I asked them to send messages to their customers to let them know of this scam and i have yet to receive a message of any kind with this warning. I also have 2 accounts, and have not received a message on either. I'm sorry this has happened to you. Let us know if you get anywhere with getting compensated.

[word filter avoidance]

Message 49 of 68
ACE - Expert

With all the hacks that have happened anyone that wants to pay for it can get your info.

Message 50 of 68
Teacher

I wonder if they know how to fix my looping issue 😬

I had a call last week stating the sheriff was coming by my office to arrest me because I owed the IRS  a couple grand.  I said in my most excited voice.    “ohhh that’s great!  The sheriff is one of my husbands best friends, but I haven’t seen him in ages”

they hung up.. weird huh?

Message 51 of 68
Scholar

so many scams out there lol. I got a call that stated you credit/debit card has been deactivated please enter the card number now to reactivate your card. That one didn't work on me but i can't imagine how many people think OMG i have bills coming out of my account it can't be deactivated then type there numbers 

Message 52 of 68

Got calls 2 days in a row to reduce my bill. Both identified on caller ID as local numbers. Now one of first things they want is password. Last caller could not verify that kissmyass was my password. 

Strange thing though, just received credit card statement with payment to directv. Do not remember authorizing this payment and had just sent check to directv. Contacted Directv and credit card  payment had been made. Will continue to monitor credit card. 

Message 53 of 68
Contributor

We received the call stating that we could reduce our bill by $50.00 per month.  This group was good, fooled me and my husband both.  They stated that this was a promo with ATT and EBay.  This deal was allowing not only new customers, but current owners to get a better deal.  We bought Ebay cards for $280 total, this would be 2 months worth of service paid in full.  We called the number with the promo code information that they gave us.  I finally put 2 and 2 together and started looking on internet and found that it was a scam.  I called Ebay and had them check the numbers on back of the cards that we had purchased and they said that they had not yet been redeemed.  So I got on Ebay and made purchases with the cards myself.  So I scammed the scammers I guess you could say.  It makes you wonder where the scammers got our info, phone number and name and how did they know that we were Direct TV/ ATT customers?  All said and done, Ebay receives a lot of purchases from either the scammers or the people smart enough to do what I did.  So I was dumb and smart!  LOL

Message 54 of 68
ACE - Expert

Any one who wants it can buy your info from the people that hacked facebook,Equifax and all the others.

Message 55 of 68
Tutor

The sheriff is one of my husbands best friends, but I haven’t seen him in ages”

🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

Message 56 of 68
Tutor

Sad. I've gotten to a point of not answering any call I don't recognize. If they leave a message and it's not a scam, I call back  if they don't leave a message, I don't care if it was legit or not at that point, I immediately block that number. At an average of 4 scam calls/day, without blocking everyt unknown that comes in, I wouldn't be able to function. 

It's not new. I've been fielding scam calls since the 1980s, when our office received the phoney "I'm your copier supply rep" calls. But they're 100 to 1 more frequent. Unless the ability to spoof numbers is blocked, it will only get worse.

It's all a money game.  Scammers get paid, government uses our tax dollars tracking them down instead of simply cutting off their spoofing ability, phone suppliers charge customers for blocking software to avoid about a 4th of the scam calls and the Federal government increases phone surcharges to pay for efforts to control the issue. 

We the sheeple...

Message 57 of 68

DirecTV scammer 

digitalcabledeals dot com [edited to remove hyperlink]

Please take some serious action 

They ask to cancel AT&T and they try to sell DirecTV

@shannon02 @litzdog911 @tgreaves @gailthasnail 

Message 58 of 68
ACE - Expert

This is a customer to customer forum there is nothing we can do about a website.

Message 59 of 68

Here's my latest. Satellite has moved and I need a new receiver. Silly me, I thought maybe re-aim dish. One time fee
fee of $199. Oh, and can save me $25 a month for 2 years. Kept wanting to know receiver info. Can anything nefarious be done with this info? Called him a lying a__hole and hung up. He called me back, so I called another one. Number called from was 866-444-1323. Not AT&T/DirecTV. Amirite? Will tech really be at my house Monday morning?

Message 60 of 68
Share this topic
Share this topic
Announcements

If your DIRECTV account has recently moved into myAT&T, let us help you manage your DIRECTV account in myAT&T.

Additional Support