Explore & discover

Helpful Links

MUST READ - An in-depth look into scam phone calls

Former Employee

MUST READ - An in-depth look into scam phone calls

Earlier today we had a customer on the forum confirming if the calls he has received earlier in the day were try or scam/fake. They had made mention the phone number was '1888.258.0681' and was told to buy a $320 Ebay giftcard and to use the promo code 'DTV4781J'.

"Make note you can replace the Ebay giftcard with any other giftcard. Amazon, facebook, iTunes, etc etc etc. It all plays out the same way with the same results."

So I was bored and felt I needed to better understand how the scam works so I called the number above. I can see how people get easily confused.

When you call the number it plays an official sounding Directv welcome message. you are faced to press some buttons on a menu. 1 to make a payment, 2 to change programming and 0 to talk to an operator.

When you get connected with a operator. They ask for either your account number or phone number. you hear some tapping on a keyboard as they input those details into a computer. It's the following steps where they get the customers details. I gave them my phone number knowing I don't have an account, they got back to me after a brief hold telling me they couldn't find my phone number in the system then had me verify my name and service address.

[At this stage they now have your  either your Phone Number or Account Number, Your Name and Your Service Address.]

The operator came back telling me he had located my account and asked for my 4 digit passcode to further verify me.

[Now they have my Phone Number or Account Number, Your Name, Your Service Address & 4 digit passcode.]

At this stage they ask for the promotional code which i used DTV4781J, they operator then confirmed how much i have on the ebay card. I told him $320. They continued to tell me with that it would get me HBO and Showtime for life along with giving me a $40 credit each month.

He continued to ask me for the numbers on the back of the card under the scratch off area. 'If you give them this number you will never get a refund or track this money down. Once they input the real code that money is lost. I repeat NEVER give them information from a giftcard'.

I pretended to scratch the stuff off the card then continued to make up some numbers. After several attempts and several random fake numbers he told me to call him back in a few hours as their system seemed to be offline.

I'm assuming if I had given him real card details they would have continued by saying something like 'Thank you this has been accepted and credits applied to your account. Please allow xxx time to allow your account to take the changes'.

This scam is completed by fishing for information. i the consumer gave them everything they thought they needed. Remember everyone, Directv's phone number is 1800.531.5000. Don't fall for the pretenders.

If this reply helped you please use Accept solution to mark it as an Accepted Solution.
Message 1 of 68
Scholar

Re: MUST READ - An in-depth look into scam phone calls

I heard of a call which consisted of buying so much worth of ebay cards in order to get a special promotion if it was anything at all such as buy 300 dollars in ebay card etc... don't fall for it

Message 31 of 68
Contributor

We got that too with a slightly different phone number (188-003-3061) Who was calling to say that our internet was getting disconnected.  Also I did a reverse phone look up on the number, and it doesn't exist.

Message 32 of 68
Former Employee

@Ghostgrl8 you are missing a number.. it's prob 1888.003.3061

Again not a legit at&t number/directv

If this reply helped you please use Accept solution to mark it as an Accepted Solution.
Message 33 of 68
Contributor

Try NoMoRobo call. Some calls still get through but the majority don't. Your phone will ring once if it's a robo call.

Message 34 of 68
Contributor

It's really said that there are employees of AT&T Directv billing department that are involved. I fell for the scam because I did call Directv and was routed to billing that they were the only ones that could handle my pending order.  I got the same two people who scammed me and a supervisor as well.

Digging into to it FBI is next.

Message 35 of 68

I just rec'd a text message offering me a discount on my DirecTV bill. He was offering me a $43/month bill for 24 months (Total), if I would go buy an EBAY gift card at CVS or other stores TODAY, or tomorrow at latest.  He also offered HBO, Starz etc for the 24 months at no charge. He had my accnt number and was able to turn the movie channels on for me, so he is an "inside job".  DirecTV turned the movie channels back off and removed the charge (that was a clear indication of it being a scam as the channels were supposed to be free). He almost scammed me for $860 total.  He also got a little nasty at times as he was in a hurry to scam me as quick as possible before the scam alert went out online.  I looked up to see if this was a scam before going out to "hurry and buy the gift cards" (I have 2 accounts). I found that it is a scam. ATT/DirecTV said they do not know of any such promotion, and had it been a real promo, it would have saved me $1000 over the next 2 years on my 2 accnts combined.  The scammer left no notes on my accnt records, so he can't be tracked down.  THIS IS A SCAM, DO NOT FALL FOR IT. They are supposed to notify their customers.

Message 36 of 68
Contributor

I read this to late. I fell for the free ultimate package for 125 a month and wipe off old bill. I gave them 500 dollars on EBAY. I should have realized this when EBAY was mentioned. was told EBAY special promotion. after I gave them the codes, I felt very sick. I called EBAY to see if they cleared and they did. I then called direct TV, no special premium package and they looked and could not find ANY payments or upgrade offers. I looked on line had a online chat with a SALES REP who was offshore. I explained what happened and Direct TV and AT&T need to check out these phone numbers. I received a call back from them stating they are Direct TV sales office. Guess what, they called back the next day offering me HUGE discounts on my cell!!! I told him I think you are scammers. he said NO, it is true there are scammers out there doing this but we are not one of them! 2 days later I called back and asked where my 100 dollar visa card that I was promised will arrive. I was told there FED system is down and it will be back soon and card will be mailed out. I called Direct TV again, spoke to billing department, explained what happened, and my NEW bill will be lowered and she gave me CINEMAX and Movie channel at no cost. I only got MAX. I finally got somebody in the US after stating I will pull ALL AT&T accounts!!!!!!!!!! After second call I finally got somebody in the US. Waiting for the fraud department to call me back. If I ever get a cell text or a call from India, I will cancel all my AT&T accounts. I should have looked sooner and figured this out before I did what I did.  

Message 37 of 68
ACE - Sage

@Mr.Steve wrote:

I read this to late. I fell for the free ultimate package for 125 a month and wipe off old bill. I gave them 500 dollars on EBAY. I should have realized this when EBAY was mentioned. was told EBAY special promotion. after I gave them the codes, I felt very sick. I called EBAY to see if they cleared and they did. I then called direct TV, no special premium package and they looked and could not find ANY payments or upgrade offers. I looked on line had a online chat with a SALES REP who was offshore. I explained what happened and Direct TV and AT&T need to check out these phone numbers. I received a call back from them stating they are Direct TV sales office. Guess what, they called back the next day offering me HUGE discounts on my cell!!! I told him I think you are scammers. he said NO, it is true there are scammers out there doing this but we are not one of them! 2 days later I called back and asked where my 100 dollar visa card that I was promised will arrive. I was told there FED system is down and it will be back soon and card will be mailed out. I called Direct TV again, spoke to billing department, explained what happened, and my NEW bill will be lowered and she gave me CINEMAX and Movie channel at no cost. I only got MAX. I finally got somebody in the US after stating I will pull ALL AT&T accounts!!!!!!!!!! After second call I finally got somebody in the US. Waiting for the fraud department to call me back. If I ever get a cell text or a call from India, I will cancel all my AT&T accounts. I should have looked sooner and figured this out before I did what I did.  

You fell for an EBAY scam and it’s AT&T who is blamed?   What’s wrong with this picture?  

(The following is included after all posts to save typing) I don’t work for AT&T. My replies are based on experience and reading content available on the website. Our answers are honest, but not always appreciated. If you posted personal information, please edit and remove.
Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 38 of 68
ACE - Expert

As I always say if it involves a gift card or other non traceable method of payment it is a scam. 

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 39 of 68

I am so sorry to hear this... again, I almost paid out $860 for my two accounts.  I asked DirecTV to notify all of their customers of this scam... to date, I have not received a notification of this... They should have notified all customers.  This is either an inside job, a friend of an insider, or they have hacked DirecTV customer accounts. 
Message 40 of 68

My scam started with them texting me. (I was actually about to call them as I had contacted DirecTV concerning my internet etc and they said to call back in a few weeks and could give me a discount. So I thought hay, they are writing to offer me a discount... duh... should have known)  So I knowingly called a number that I knew wasn't DirecTV's normal #... this one started with 877.  The offer was a $43/mo service for 10 months if prepaid upfront $430, and $43 for months 11-24 with free movie channels. I have 2 accounts, so I was going to take advantage of this big savings. He said if I did it before 3 pm, I could get the $100 visa card bonus. He also went over and over about how I would have to get the EBAY cards. Said I would have to get (4) $200 cards and 1 card for $60, for a total of $860. He did get a little nasty at times.  Gave me a number to call back on and gave me the code mentioned in other posts. Also, the DirecTV ATT music played at the beginning of the phone call to them. What a scam and DirecTV & ATT need to get this info out to their customers right away. I hold them responsible since the scammer was able to turn on my movie channels (I have been a DirecTV customer for last 2 years and also at times before that. Had I been scammed and they didn't credit me for what I lost, I think they would have lost me as a customer indefinitely. They found no notes on my account that this scammer had called, and who turned  on the movie channels that day. Again, the scammer had me go through the movie channels while on the phone to make sure I could see them there. And again, the scammer had my account number and address. He was able to use my phone number from the text, then my call to them to access my accnt and address info.

Message 41 of 68

It's DirecTV and/or ATT.... EBAY doesn't have my accnt # or mailing address....

Message 42 of 68

I took care of ATT phone - landline. Cancelled it. I got tired of the scam calls which constituted over 95% of the calls to me. I was paying about $65/mo. No more. I use a different cell carrier that has no contract. I told them that I thought that they could do better in keeping scam calls to a minimum. They said they couldn't. I said it will be the death of you. I heard that something like 60% of all calls are scam calls and we are talking billions.

Message 43 of 68
ACE - Expert

So how are they suppose to stop someone from calling/texting you?

Message 44 of 68
ACE - Sage

@cruisingal2 wrote:

I took care of ATT phone - landline. Cancelled it. I got tired of the scam calls which constituted over 95% of the calls to me. I was paying about $65/mo. No more. I use a different cell carrier that has no contract. I told them that I thought that they could do better in keeping scam calls to a minimum. They said they couldn't. I said it will be the death of you. I heard that something like 60% of all calls are scam calls and we are talking billions.

Since it’s been discussed often, in the news often, it shouldn’t be still coming up.

reading material.   https://static1.squarespace.com/static/53cc6e65e4b0fa81a698730a/t/58e3066e893fc013074c000d/149127332...

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/fcc-robocall-strike-force-kicks-210003971.html;_ylt=AwrC1CkaH7tXInIAX...

https://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2018/10/robocallers-evolved-to-sidestep-new-call-blocking-rules-...

(The following is included after all posts to save typing) I don’t work for AT&T. My replies are based on experience and reading content available on the website. Our answers are honest, but not always appreciated. If you posted personal information, please edit and remove.
Message 45 of 68
Share this topic
Share this topic
Announcements

If your DIRECTV account has recently moved into myAT&T, let us help you manage your DIRECTV account in myAT&T.

Additional Support