Explore & discover

Helpful Links

Are you impacted by the government shutdown? We’re here to help.  Learn more 

MUST READ - An in-depth look into scam phone calls

Former Employee

MUST READ - An in-depth look into scam phone calls

Earlier today we had a customer on the forum confirming if the calls he has received earlier in the day were try or scam/fake. They had made mention the phone number was '1888.258.0681' and was told to buy a $320 Ebay giftcard and to use the promo code 'DTV4781J'.

"Make note you can replace the Ebay giftcard with any other giftcard. Amazon, facebook, iTunes, etc etc etc. It all plays out the same way with the same results."

So I was bored and felt I needed to better understand how the scam works so I called the number above. I can see how people get easily confused.

When you call the number it plays an official sounding Directv welcome message. you are faced to press some buttons on a menu. 1 to make a payment, 2 to change programming and 0 to talk to an operator.

When you get connected with a operator. They ask for either your account number or phone number. you hear some tapping on a keyboard as they input those details into a computer. It's the following steps where they get the customers details. I gave them my phone number knowing I don't have an account, they got back to me after a brief hold telling me they couldn't find my phone number in the system then had me verify my name and service address.

[At this stage they now have your  either your Phone Number or Account Number, Your Name and Your Service Address.]

The operator came back telling me he had located my account and asked for my 4 digit passcode to further verify me.

[Now they have my Phone Number or Account Number, Your Name, Your Service Address & 4 digit passcode.]

At this stage they ask for the promotional code which i used DTV4781J, they operator then confirmed how much i have on the ebay card. I told him $320. They continued to tell me with that it would get me HBO and Showtime for life along with giving me a $40 credit each month.

He continued to ask me for the numbers on the back of the card under the scratch off area. 'If you give them this number you will never get a refund or track this money down. Once they input the real code that money is lost. I repeat NEVER give them information from a giftcard'.

I pretended to scratch the stuff off the card then continued to make up some numbers. After several attempts and several random fake numbers he told me to call him back in a few hours as their system seemed to be offline.

I'm assuming if I had given him real card details they would have continued by saying something like 'Thank you this has been accepted and credits applied to your account. Please allow xxx time to allow your account to take the changes'.

This scam is completed by fishing for information. i the consumer gave them everything they thought they needed. Remember everyone, Directv's phone number is 1800.531.5000. Don't fall for the pretenders.

If this reply helped you please use Accept solution to mark it as an Accepted Solution.
Message 1 of 33
ACE - Expert

Re: MUST READ - An in-depth look into scam phone calls

How can you block a spoofed caller id number?

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 16 of 33
Tutor

According to the volume of scam calls I get daily, and since this one is a well known scam number online, it doesn't appear as if they block any. I have tried many blocker apps, but they slow down the response time for the call to pop up, and it's caused me to miss some important calls.

Message 17 of 33
Former Employee

Not that I wish to get all political but.. Trumps wall has a greater chance of succeeding rather than AT&T being able to block phone spoofers

If this reply helped you please use Accept solution to mark it as an Accepted Solution.
Message 18 of 33

How did they get my cell phone and how are they able to verify my name based on my cell phone. Has Direct TV/AT&T database been hacked? This is quite worrisome.

I got the call today to buy an EBAY gift card and pay $320 by calling *** and quote DTV5641 to receive 5 months Direct TV with the premium package and premium movie channels, good for 2 years, no contracts. On the 6th month I just need to reload the card and pay $80 each month. 

What is AT&T doing to stop this scam?

[Edited to comply with Guidelines]

Message 19 of 33
Former Employee

Not much there is AT&T or any other provider can do. They spoof phone numbers, send fake emails out which look like the real deals. customers unwillingly give up details thinking its the real AT&T or Directv. They can get your details easily, hackers sell other hackers info. So lets just say, you visited a website with a virus embedded in it. That hacker collects the information, key strokes, pages visited. they then sell that information on and so forth. no one is safe online anymore.

Message 20 of 33
ACE - Expert

They also could have gotten it through the facebook,yahoo or any other major hack. Whenever they ask for payment by using an untraceable means like gift cards moneygram etc. it is a scam. 

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 21 of 33
ACE - Sage
Solution
Accepted by topic author
Accepted by tgreaves
‎10-24-2018 6:38 PM

@charles4545 wrote:

How did they get my cell phone

Most of these are robo calls, they pick a number, call.  Add one, call, etc.  

and how are they able to verify my name based on my cell phone.

Don’t know.  But if you don’t pick up, they don’t connect.  

Has Direct TV/AT&T database been hacked? This is quite worrisome.

No.  Has nothing to do with ATT.  My number is from Verizon, we still get calls.  

I got the call today to buy an EBAY gift card and pay $320 by calling *** and quote DTV5641 to receive 5 months Direct TV with the premium package and premium movie channels, good for 2 years, no contracts. On the 6th month I just need to reload the card and pay $80 each month. 

There are hundreds of scams.  Do not answer calls from numbers you don’t know.  

What is AT&T doing to stop this scam?

You need to do your part.  The apps created to block them Are circumvented as fact as the scammers are blocked.  

[Edited to comply with Guidelines]

(The following is included after all posts to save typing) I don’t work for AT&T. My replies are based on experience and reading content available on the website. Our answers are honest, but not always appreciated. If you posted personal information, please edit and remove.
Tags (1)
Message 22 of 33
Former Employee

Thanks @lizdance40 for the summary. Ive marked that as a solution too

Message 23 of 33
Contributor

Received call yesterday. Had my mailing address, amount of last payment, and last four of my credit card. $50 off per month for a year. Needed  $1 hold on credit card if I gave him complete number.  Beware. It's also very difficult to get in touch with directv fraud people .

Message 24 of 33
ACE - Sage

@Firstloser

Sounds like they hacked your account.  Change password and add a unique PIN code.

Very fishy.

(The following is included after all posts to save typing) I don’t work for AT&T. My replies are based on experience and reading content available on the website. Our answers are honest, but not always appreciated. If you posted personal information, please edit and remove.
Message 25 of 33
Contributor

I thought so too. Whoever I chatted with on line didn't seem all that
concerned.
Message 26 of 33
Tutor

don’t work for AT&T. My replies are based on experience and reading content available on the website. Our answers are honest, but not always appreciated. If you posted personal infor

Message 27 of 33
Scholar

I've heard of this ebay call lol 

Message 28 of 33
Former Employee

@Firstloser

Sorry it's taken me a while to get back to you. That call may have actually been legit. So i'm going to ask you some additional questions to find out if it was a legit call or bogus..

1. Do you currently have a directv satellite service in your home?

2. A) If yes. You did the right thing and it was a scam caller. Good job no further questions for you.

B) If no to the above question, did you disconnect a DTV sat service within the past 3yrs?

3. The caller may have been reaching out to you from the "Winback" department who's job it is to win customers back to dtv. They offer promo's on the first year to try and bring you back.

There is a way to still get this great price without giving them your credit card details tho. The credit card number and $1 hold is to setup autobill pay. It will get you $10 off a month for the 24 months. If you however don't wish to give them your number at first, autobill pay won't be setup on your account but they can email you the quote. It will be $10 higher without the auto bill pay. They will ask you to setup a intem installation date, I used to tell my customers to choose 1-2 weeks out from the call. That way you can make sure the package you selected is actually what you want. Within that email will be your account number and a password to use on a PC between the end of that call and the install date. That way you can try before you buy type service.

if they refuse to continue without the credit card details, them they are probably a scammer, but I know for a fact a email can be sent without a credit card on file. You can always add the card later on if you choose to go with the service.

Hope this helps clear up any concerns.

Message 29 of 33
Contributor

Do currently have directv. Call was very "scam-feely". Thanks for reply.
Message 30 of 33
Share this topic
Share this topic
Additional Support