Explore & discover

Helpful Links

Re: MUST READ - An in-depth look into scam phone calls

Former Employee

MUST READ - An in-depth look into scam phone calls

Earlier today we had a customer on the forum confirming if the calls he has received earlier in the day were try or scam/fake. They had made mention the phone number was '1888.258.0681' and was told to buy a $320 Ebay giftcard and to use the promo code 'DTV4781J'.

"Make note you can replace the Ebay giftcard with any other giftcard. Amazon, facebook, iTunes, etc etc etc. It all plays out the same way with the same results."

So I was bored and felt I needed to better understand how the scam works so I called the number above. I can see how people get easily confused.

When you call the number it plays an official sounding Directv welcome message. you are faced to press some buttons on a menu. 1 to make a payment, 2 to change programming and 0 to talk to an operator.

When you get connected with a operator. They ask for either your account number or phone number. you hear some tapping on a keyboard as they input those details into a computer. It's the following steps where they get the customers details. I gave them my phone number knowing I don't have an account, they got back to me after a brief hold telling me they couldn't find my phone number in the system then had me verify my name and service address.

[At this stage they now have your  either your Phone Number or Account Number, Your Name and Your Service Address.]

The operator came back telling me he had located my account and asked for my 4 digit passcode to further verify me.

[Now they have my Phone Number or Account Number, Your Name, Your Service Address & 4 digit passcode.]

At this stage they ask for the promotional code which i used DTV4781J, they operator then confirmed how much i have on the ebay card. I told him $320. They continued to tell me with that it would get me HBO and Showtime for life along with giving me a $40 credit each month.

He continued to ask me for the numbers on the back of the card under the scratch off area. 'If you give them this number you will never get a refund or track this money down. Once they input the real code that money is lost. I repeat NEVER give them information from a giftcard'.

I pretended to scratch the stuff off the card then continued to make up some numbers. After several attempts and several random fake numbers he told me to call him back in a few hours as their system seemed to be offline.

I'm assuming if I had given him real card details they would have continued by saying something like 'Thank you this has been accepted and credits applied to your account. Please allow xxx time to allow your account to take the changes'.

This scam is completed by fishing for information. i the consumer gave them everything they thought they needed. Remember everyone, Directv's phone number is 1800.531.5000. Don't fall for the pretenders.

If this reply helped you please use Accept solution to mark it as an Accepted Solution.
For official support call DirecTV 1-800-531-5000 or AT&T 1-800-288-2020
Message 1 of 68
ACE - Professor

I'm very glad you did that, I love messing with scammers and really enjoyed reading this, the scammer getting scammed 🤣🤣😄😅

*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 2 of 68
ACE - Expert

It's so sad that folks fall for these scams.  Nobody should trust anything they see on their Caller ID.  Always call back a TRUSTED phone number (like 1 800 531 5000 for DirecTV), rather than any number provided by the scammer.  

For official support call DirecTV 1-800-531-5000 or AT&T 1-800-288-2020.
Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 3 of 68
ACE - Professor

It really is sad that people fall for these scams.

Message 4 of 68
Former Employee
Solution
Accepted by Moderator (Moderator)
Accepted by ATTCommunityTeam
‎09-12-2018 7:54 AM

Let me just re-emphasize what I've already said:

An in-depth look into scam phone calls  

Earlier today we had a customer on the forum confirming if the calls he has received earlier in the day were try or scam/fake. They had made mention the phone number was '1888.258.0681' and was told to buy a $320 Ebay giftcard and to use the promo code 'DTV4781J'.

"Make note you can replace the Ebay giftcard with any other giftcard. Amazon, facebook, iTunes, etc etc etc. It all plays out the same way with the same results."

So I was bored and felt I needed to better understand how the scam works so I called the number above. I can see how people get easily confused.

When you call the number it plays an official sounding Directv welcome message. you are faced to press some buttons on a menu. 1 to make a payment, 2 to change programming and 0 to talk to an operator.

When you get connected with a operator. They ask for either your account number or phone number. you hear some tapping on a keyboard as they input those details into a computer. It's the following steps where they get the customers details. I gave them my phone number knowing I don't have an account, they got back to me after a brief hold telling me they couldn't find my phone number in the system then had me verify my name and service address.

[At this stage they now have your  either your Phone Number or Account Number, Your Name and Your Service Address.]

The operator came back telling me he had located my account and asked for my 4 digit passcode to further verify me.

[Now they have my Phone Number or Account Number, Your Name, Your Service Address & 4 digit passcode.]

At this stage they ask for the promotional code which i used DTV4781J, they operator then confirmed how much i have on the ebay card. I told him $320. They continued to tell me with that it would get me HBO and Showtime for life along with giving me a $40 credit each month.

He continued to ask me for the numbers on the back of the card under the scratch off area. 'If you give them this number you will never get a refund or track this money down. Once they input the real code that money is lost. I repeat NEVER give them information from a giftcard'.

I pretended to scratch the stuff off the card then continued to make up some numbers. After several attempts and several random fake numbers he told me to call him back in a few hours as their system seemed to be offline.

I'm assuming if I had given him real card details they would have continued by saying something like 'Thank you this has been accepted and credits applied to your account. Please allow xxx time to allow your account to take the changes'.

This scam is completed by fishing for information. i the consumer gave them everything they thought they needed. Remember everyone, Directv's phone number is 1800.531.5000. Don't fall for the pretenders.

If this reply helped you please use Accept solution to mark it as an Accepted Solution.
Message 5 of 68
Solution
Accepted by Moderator (Moderator)
Accepted by ATTCommunityTeam
‎09-12-2018 7:53 AM

@tgreaves,

Thank you so much for taking the time to put this together! This is a fantastic in-depth look at the type of scam/fake phone calls that we all need to be aware of and protect ourselves from!

Great job!
The AT&T Community

Tags (1)
Message 6 of 68
Former Employee

Thanks @ATTCommunityTeam

i strive for moments like this 🙂

thanks for the acknowledge meant

Message 7 of 68
Highlighted
ACE - Sage

Holy cow!  What an elaborate scheme.  I wonder how many will fall for it. ☹️

Thanks for the heads up.  

(The following is included after all posts to save typing) I don’t work for AT&T. My replies are based on experience and reading content available on the website. Our answers are honest, but not always appreciated. If you posted personal information, please edit and remove.
Message 8 of 68
Former Employee

So im curious, who since this guide went up has tried calling the number and hearing this all unfold for themselves?

Message 9 of 68
ACE - Sage

Not me.  I get enough junk calls

(The following is included after all posts to save typing) I don’t work for AT&T. My replies are based on experience and reading content available on the website. Our answers are honest, but not always appreciated. If you posted personal information, please edit and remove.
Message 10 of 68
ACE - Expert

An Apple rep just called to say that Apple products are infected and not to use them until you contact them.  Since I don't own any Apple devices I assume this is other scam to get your info.

Message 11 of 68
ACE - Expert

@shannon02 wrote:

An Apple rep just called to say that Apple products are infected and not to use them until you contact them.  Since I don't own any Apple devices I assume this is other scam to get your info.

Of course it's a scam. Just like the Microsoft calls that want to rid your PCs of a virus that they've detected.  

Message 12 of 68
ACE - Sage

@litzdog911

Love those windows calls.  I mess with them all them time.  “I think I know the problem....my boot screen has an Apple logo”.  😂

Message 13 of 68
Tutor

Why doesn't AT&T block known scammers? I've received at least 3 calls per day from the same health insurance scammer. I don't answer them but they keep calling, and I don't need my phone ringing off the hook. If I change my number, I can finally get some peace from this call barrage, until it starts again, as it always does. I can't change my number continuously. Third party call blockers slow the phone down when I'm in the middle of a resource hogging game, and they don't get past the game in time for me to answer calls. I wonder why AT&T can't filter some of these for their customers who already pay high prices for their phones and shouldn't have to deal with this.

Message 14 of 68
ACE - Expert

@chargfox wrote:

Why doesn't AT&T block known scammers? ....

It's not that easy.  I suppose if your phone provider is AT&T, they probably already block many of these scam callers.  There are also free services like NoMoRobo that do a better job, but not all phone providers support that.

Message 15 of 68
Share this topic
Share this topic
Announcements

If your DIRECTV account has recently moved into myAT&T, let us help you manage your DIRECTV account in myAT&T.

Additional Support