Explore & discover

Helpful Links

Late Payment

Contributor

Late Payment

I received my Directv bill in the mail on January 3rd, sent payment in the mail January 4th payment due January 8th. I am getting a late fee for using the US mail for payment purposes. I do not do any payments over the internet so I get penalized for using a check by mail. I would say the problem lies in getting my bill to me sooner. I have been with Directv for years and never have had any problems with payment issues. I take Great pride in paying my bills the day after receiving them so can not put up with this problem much longer. I truly would hate to leave Directv as I have always been happy with the service but late fees and e-mail notices are getting the best of me!!

Message 1 of 15
ACE - Expert

Re: Late Payment

This is a customer to customer forum with no access to any accounts, you need to call/chat with DTV.

Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 2 of 15
ACE - Expert
Solution
Accepted by Administrator (Administrator)
Accepted by davidbk
‎01-22-2019 11:40 AM

@Hazelnut wrote:

I received my Directv bill in the mail on January 3rd, sent payment in the mail January 4th payment due January 8th. I am getting a late fee for using the US mail for payment purposes. I do not do any payments over the internet so I get penalized for using a check by mail. I would say the problem lies in getting my bill to me sooner. I have been with Directv for years and never have had any problems with payment issues. I take Great pride in paying my bills the day after receiving them so can not put up with this problem much longer. I truly would hate to leave Directv as I have always been happy with the service but late fees and e-mail notices are getting the best of me!!

Receiving bill on the 3rd, but listed due date on the 8th means your mail is not getting to you in a timely manner. (Bill produces day 2 of your service month, listed due date is day 20) That is not DirecTV's fault but an issue with mail if it is taking 2 weeks to get to you.

Relying on the postal service for paying any service you are always risking how long it takes, no matter the company. Paying this method instead of online (which posts same day) is your choice and you do so knowing the time risk. Bill comes out and is due the same time each month.

If you trust the postal service more than paying online, then you have an alternative. You can access your bill online while the physical one is in the mail (even print a copy if you prefer), or even call to find out the balance over the phone, and then mail to the payment location for your address. Your bill produces the 2nd day of your cycle, online copy of bill usually shows within 24-48hrs of bill producing, so you can get the information well before the one comes in the mail. So you have options to find out the amount of the bill and pay it on time, even not paying online as you prefer.

https://support.directv.com/billing/1631

If you would like to mail in your payment and do not have a remittance envelope, use the address that corresponds with the first number of your ZIP code:

• If your ZIP code begins with: 0, 1, 4, 5, 6, 8
    DIRECTV
    P.O. Box 5007
    Carol Stream, IL 60197-5007
  • If your ZIP code begins with: 2, 3, 7, 9
    DIRECTV
    P.O. Box 105261
    Atlanta, GA 30348-5261

Don’t forget  to include your account number on your payment.

Note: Payments are processed the same day they are received. Please allow 3-5 business days for regular mail delivery or 2-3 business days for priority mail.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Tags (1)
Message 3 of 15
Contributor

Horrible response!

The Correct answer is to use the Postmark Date as 'Date Received' as is normal practice.
Interesting that DirectTV hasn't looked into how long THEY take to process mailed payments.
Mail sent on the 3rd (due the 8th) does NOT take 5 days to get anywhere in the US - so - the delay appears to be in processing and posting mailed payments

Message 4 of 15
ACE - Master

@Jimmy_h wrote:

Horrible response!

The Correct answer is to use the Postmark Date as 'Date Received' as is normal practice.
Interesting that DirectTV hasn't looked into how long THEY take to process mailed payments.
Mail sent on the 3rd (due the 8th) does NOT take 5 days to get anywhere in the US - so - the delay appears to be in processing and posting mailed payments

actually 5 days is typical, then sorting on the other end, opening, entering into the system

figure at least 10 business days until its posts

go electronic.  most banks offer a service if you want want to use a card

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Anything below the is a signature :
Note: This is a customer to customer forum, I am just a customer. Employees are identified as such.
Message 5 of 15
ACE - Expert

@Jimmy_h 

Not a horrible response, merely a factual one. And I have experienced mail delays with outgoing and incoming. The Postal Service is not always perfect and weather or transport issues can affect delivery.

It was not being said that the bill or payment was being mailed on the 3rd. The original poster was receiving their bill on the 3rd but it was due on the 8th. That means that where they live they were having a mail delay as normally you shouldn't be getting the bill just a few days before it is due. So they were receiving their bill almost two weeks late because of the delay on mail delivery.

This is why having auto bill pay, or going on their website to make a manual payment is preferred. Posts same day, can view bill at any time, no worries of mail delay.

Message 6 of 15
Contributor

Ever since AT&T took over DirecTV I have experienced problems with getting my bill on time via the mail which is the way I have always paid DirecTV.  It is becoming apparent, after lodging a complaint 3 times with AT&T, that this is a deliberate attempt on their part to force customers to pay online.  I received an email on 3/16 that my bill was ready to pay and was due 3/20.  So I called customer service and told them I had not received my bill and I was told they would send me a copy of the bill and credit me with their late charge.  They blame the USPS for tardy delivery. That is a lie.  NEVER HAD LATE DELIVERY WHEN DIRECTV BIILLED ME. I always get my other bills ontime via the USPS.  I will lodge a complaint with the FCC if this continues.  Whoever it is that is defending AT&T's coercive practices must be on their payroll.  Plus, the $4.25 late fee they charge is perhaps part of the inducement to get customers to pay online. 

Message 7 of 15
ACE - Expert

Not a deliberate attempt at all. However AT&T has been moving DirecTV accounts to a new billing system. It is likely that it may cause a delay, ACCIDENTLY (i.e. not deliberate), in paper bills going out.

Yes like all companies they would prefer customers have paperless as they get it quicker, no issues with traditional mail, and saves paper that too many people ignorantly just throw away without reading. However this preference does not change how the paper bill goes out in the first place.

Even if you don't pay online, you can view your bill online and still mail in payment the traditional way if you prefer. Since the bill is due at the same time every month, it is on us (the customer) to make sure bill is paid on time even if we are still waiting on the one in the mail. So late fee can be avoided regardless of the status of the paper bill itself.

And to be clear, I am a customer like you, not on DirecTV or AT&T's payroll. Just one who tries to help others with their service or sometimes see the reality of the situation. In this case I get there is an issue with the USPS delivering the mail or a problem on DirecTV's end (possibly due to the account migration currently going on) for the bill mailing out. However I believe we have the full tools to read bill and pay on time, even if paper bill is late. You can mail in payment or over the phone without a paper bill.

Message 8 of 15
Contributor

So why is it every other company I do business with consistently sends
me a bill ontime?  I phoned AT&T customer service on 3/16 and told them
I had not received my bill for which payment was due 3/20.  "Rex" said a
bill would be sent out immediately and I would receive by 3/19. It is
now 3/21 and no bill. I intend to notify the FCC today. Your explanation
of why customers are not receiving bills is transparently false.  No
customer should have to contact a company for a hard copy bill.  As far
as going online and paying, or the other options you mention, that is
putting the onus on the customer. It doesn't wash.
Message 9 of 15
Highlighted
ACE - Master

@Corporatelies wrote:
So why is it every other company I do business with consistently sends
me a bill ontime?  I phoned AT&T customer service on 3/16 and told them
I had not received my bill for which payment was due 3/20.  "Rex" said a
bill would be sent out immediately and I would receive by 3/19. It is
now 3/21 and no bill. I intend to notify the FCC today. Your explanation
of why customers are not receiving bills is transparently false.  No
customer should have to contact a company for a hard copy bill.  As far
as going online and paying, or the other options you mention, that is
putting the onus on the customer. It doesn't wash.

you know what your bill date is

the cost should not change each month, unless a promotion ends or you order a ppv

you can easily go online anytime and see your current bill due, and even print it out, save a pdf, ect

or just setup autopay and not worry about it

mail is just a backup nowadays, and the usps is known for being late

i have had several payments get delayed in the mail, so i pay 99% of things online now

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Note: This is a customer to customer forum, I am just a customer. Employees are identified as such.
Message 10 of 15
ACE - Expert

@Corporatelies 

It is on you just like the rest of us to pay the bill on time. Bill is due at the same time every month. You have plenty of options to view the bill. You can see it online which takes as much effort as ripping into an envelope that would just throw away. You can print or save a copy if you choose. Online is the best option for one-time payments as USPS has an inconsistent track record for many of us (though has gotten better as many people do use online for that reason).

Even if you don't pay online you can still mail in the payment on time. DirecTV like most companies provides a variety of options to pay the bill. As such not receiving a specific format of bill (i.e. traditional mailed paper bill) is no excuse not to pay a bill on time.

An no my statement is not false (transparently or otherwise). If your account is set to receive paper bills then DirecTV has to send them out that way. Not getting the paper bills means one of 3 things; An issue with USPS delivery (delay, wrong address, no delivery, etc.), an issue with bill being properly produced by DirecTV (very possible because they are moving billing account systems into a new AT&T system that has experienced various issues), or your account is set for paperless billing (can log in online and check and change that if needed). I would also verify that your billing address still shows correct with them (different than service address).

Not saying there is not an issue somewhere for the paper bill getting you. Just saying it is not deliberate by the company as they must have paper billing as an option since not everybody has internet to get paperless billing. Though you obviously have internet access so can look at your bill at any time even when produced and in the mail. Sorry but a company is not going out of its way to deny you the bill so lets leave the tin foil hats alone. A complaint to DirecTV, or the FCC if it makes you feel better, if they are the only one you are have trouble receiving the bill from is fine. After all want them to fix the unintentional problem. Still check with the USPS though as there have been cases in recent years where some postal carriers have done the wrong thing and dumped mail to make their jobs easier.

Whatever the actual cause of the issue, I hope it gets fixed for you.

Message 11 of 15
Contributor

Please remove my late fee from May since I paid the bill on 5/20, it was only 1 day late.  Thanks 

Message 12 of 15
ACE - Master

this is a customer to customer furom

you need to call customer service

Message 13 of 15
Contributor

It appears ATT took it upon themselves to switch DirecTV customers to paperless billing when they took over DirecTV.  I complained several times about not receiving a paper bill unless I called and insisted upon it. I was charged late fees each month. Until I dug through the options in my account online to find bill paying options and saw my account preference had been set to pay online. I never authorized that change.  And it wasn't till I screamed blood blue murder that I was told I could change this option online. So I changed the method of payment to a paper bill.  No matter how you slice this issue, it is ATT wanting customers to pay online. Interestingly, I got an email from ATT today saying they were switching me to online payment unless I opted to continue to receive a paper bill in the mail. My suspicions of manipulation are confirmed. Anyone rushing to defend this practice on the part of
ATT is either naive or as corrupt as ATT.

Message 14 of 15
ACE - Expert

@JamHen wrote:

Please remove my late fee from May since I paid the bill on 5/20, it was only 1 day late.  Thanks 

Call DirecTV 1-800-531-5000 to discuss the bill. No guarantee they will remove the late fee, but you can ask. This is a customer to customer forum.

Service cycle starts (day 1), bill produces (day 2), listed due date on bill (day 20). So based on a 30/31 day month, you have at least 10 days after the due date as a grace period before the late fee would charge. So day 1 of the next cycle is at least 11 days from when it showed it was due (not just 1). So based on the listed bill info that you can see (not a background system mechanic they do as a courtesy), you would have been well more than a single day late.

Message 15 of 15
Share this topic
Share this topic
Learn to manage your DIRECTV account in myAT&T. View help managing DIRECTV in myAT&T!
Additional Support