Explore & discover

Helpful Links

Is Direct TV a scam?

Tutor

Is Direct TV a scam?

I have had a terrbile experience so far with Direct TV. It all started when I originally seen them advertising their service inside Walmart. I had told them I am not ready to sign up as I am moving in 2 months. At this point they told me I get one free move a year, so I was happy about not having to pay moving fees. Also, they were offering a $225 Wamart giftcard for signing up for Direct TV service. Otherwise I was totally fine with my other service. Right before we moved we cancelled the so called "3 months of free HBO,STARZ, ETC" So it came time to move, and sure enough they were going to charge me near $300 for moving services. I explained what I was told by their staff at Walmart to a "Manager" and they said thats on their marketing department. They gave me a number for them. Their marketing department said there is nothing they can do for us. Well I still have yet to recieve my Walmart gift card as well for that account. So I continue to pay for Direct TV service while not actually recieving the service, as I am un able to pay $300 for moving the service. On top of that, WE WERE STILL GETTING CHARGED FOR HBO, STARZ, ETC. The representitive that sold us the service also would not return our calls or answer the phone. Here's where it gets extremely weird. I went shopping at Walmart one day and noticed there were Direct TV representatives there again. So we stopped to ask them what was going on. The rep that sold us the service was not there. When we asked them where the rep was that sold us our service, they told us SHE WAS FIRED FOR LYING TO CUSTOMERS JUST TO GET THEM SIGNED UP!!!! At this point I was furious, managers pointing fingers to other departments within the company. Direct TV knew about these kind of problems happening and would refuse to help us with our move. So the gentleman at Walmart had his "manager" give us a call. Had many conversations, between phone and text. This manager claimed he would take care of my account if we re signed up for Direct TV under my wifes name. I thought this was weird but he explained that you can't resign up for Direct TV within a year of cancelling an account. So I figured he was telling the truth. Turns out after my wife signed up for an account he never responded to us after that. Also once again another 225$ Walmart giftcard was offered and we filled out the form for the giftcard once again, and still have yet to see it. HE NEVER TOOK CARE OF MY FIRST ACCOUNT AND WILL NOT RESPOND!!!! JUST LIKE OUR FIRST SALES REPRESENTATIVE!!!!! Now I am paying 2 DIRECT TV BILLS, oh and cancelled both "free 3 month entertainment packages" but am still getting charged for them! No one on the phone has been able to help. Maybe this will get some attention, and if it doesn't I will definatley take it up the ladder as needed. I'm giving Direct TV a chance to make things right. Thank you for your time!!!

If Direct TV is willing to make this right, let me know

Thanks!

Thomas

Message 1 of 44
Contributor

Re: Is Direct TV a scam?

Directv will continue to cost more than tv should. The programing is better for our needs than other choices. But, to be honest, It is ridiculous to pay for TV. Originally the payment was to avoid commercials,& now all channels still have advertising. Then you were getting movies,but now you pay even more for that service. We have not renewed our contract in 10 years,but we still can't find something better. If it was only myself I would not have it. My retired husband watches it 24 hrs. it is absurd that it is not totally free for at&t retirees. The employees at least get a discount. I feel unimportant to the company I slaved for 34 years. The surcharges are also a gimmick. When they first figured how to get that money from consumers,you could write them explaining you don't think the charges are fair & you don't want to pay, and they had to remove them from your bill.  

answer to the ? Is Directv a scam/(or rip off): Most certainly. 

Message 16 of 44
ACE - Expert

A lot of companies will give discounted benefits to retirees but free seems a bit much.

You cannot get charges removed simply because you don't like them (at least for Directv. I cannot say for back in Primestar days). You have your base package, receiver services based on what equipment you have, regulatory fees/taxes on address. After that optional add-ons which are up to you if have them or not.

TV providers carry the channels, but do not have a say in what is on the channel. And channel owners will not get rid of commercials as their budget depends on money from the tv provider and the advertisers. I would be scared what the bill would be if there were no commercials.

As for paying more for movies, well costs go up over the years. So sometimes that cost is offset by higher bill to customer. Look at gas prices for the last 35 years. No longer close to $1 per gallon or less after all.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(Included after every post)
I am a customer, not an employee. This is a public forum.
For official support call DirecTV 1-800-531-5000 or AT&T 1-800-288-2020.
Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 17 of 44

We had DTV satellite service for 6 years from 2003 to 2009.  I found the picture at that time was highly compressed and the price was inflated.  We only got it because we loved the Red Zone. As soon as it opened up to cable and other providers we ditched it for FIOS. I also did not care for the loss of service when it rained and snowed. Dish was on the roof so we were out service till the snow melted off the dish.  For the price of a decent package plus equipment, I have phone from magic jack which is 1.80 a month, Internet from FIOS for 44.99 and Now which is 35 dollars month. All locals via antenna for free.  

Message 18 of 44
ACE - Expert

@theroys88

Pros and cons to each, and I get you like your pricing better for the kind of service you now get. I do applaud you for using an OTA antenna for the free locals since some people think that locals no longer have that option and must go to a pay tv provider to get the locals.

Directv is still a service by satellite technology. However with SD being phased out for broadcast improvements, new regulations on dish install, and of course optional dish heaters through 3rd party if you are on the extreme end of "snow country", I would say it is not a fair comparison between what you have now to what Directv had in 2009 (8 years ago). In fact some new systems are being tested this year to support that Directv's upgrade to 4K service (true 4K, not content that other providers "upscale".). And remember, Directv does not have to share bandwidth of your internet provider, part of the reason for higher cost is it gives a dedicated service instead of trying to put too many services through the same line (depending on where you live this can cause a drastic difference in the quality of what you receive).

Though since you have not had Directv since 2009, but are posting on the Directv forums, are you looking into Directv again? If so, keep an eye out for things that are released through the next year. But whatever works for you, have a nice day.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 19 of 44

thanks for the information. I guess eight years is a long time these days.

Message 20 of 44
Contributor

This is a well thought out response, and it appears the scam artists have read it and become smarter.  AT&T is introducing their 1gbps fiber service to St. Louis at this time (2017) however, it is only available in limited areas which means: "You can't get it where you are, right now."  This does make for an easy scam pitch for the unwitting...

Walking through Walmart I met Tyler, I would later learn he is a rep for these 3rd party dealers.  He did some quick look up and told me I was eligible for the 1 gbps service and with the Directv select package it would be $66.99/month for two years.  I was excited to say the least and quickly signed up on what is an official looking order form.

Now, here's the catch.  At the store you schedule installation for the Directv television service, once that is finished then you call to schedule the internet hookup.  The problem is, at the time your TV service is installed you are locked in for a 2-year agreement with a $480 cancellation fee.  Only then will you find out that you won't get the 1 gbps service installed because it isn't actually available at your address.  The cherry on top is; because you signed up for a promotional rate package you will be stuck with the 25-75 mbps internet that AT&T currently offers to 99% of St. Louis.  Because if you don't you will pay full price for the Directv service and then get slapped with a higher rate in the second year of your contract.

The part that leaves me so salty is, there is no one to complain to about these fraudsters.  Directv could only tell me that I was sold by "Walmart Dealer Services", when I called Walmart the next day they had already moved on to another store.  Who are these phantom sales people?  One thing is for sure, if you want a great deal on your tv/internet you need to call Tyler (if that is your real name) at ***.

My story ended when I called the local AT&T and was told I could only get 25 mbps service.  The next call cancelled Directv before installation.

[Edited for privacy. This is a public forum. Please do not post personal or unique information such as but not limited to full names, employee ID numbers, email addresses, phone numbers, account numbers, etc.]

Message 21 of 44

I just spent over 10, miserable, frustrating hours (4 yesterday, 6 more today), trying to get a 4th TV hooked up in my/our home.

On 3 occasions I was quoted a reasonable price I could live with, but each time the person assuring me, was unable to schedule the install. And each time I actually tried to schedule the install elsewhere (other than the Philippines), the price went up drastically.

And each time I tried to simply close my account, some supervisor would offer to waive the installation charge, and then put on yet another, endless hold, to someone else in the Philippines(horrible telephone connections, very VERY hard to hear, or understand), who would refuse claim they couldn't waive the install charge. The last one of these, actually added another $150 to the install, plus another $50.00/month.

It also would have cost me the entire price of my 2 yr contact to quit.

As a retired, national customer service Mgr for a major, fortune 500 energy company, I honestly cannot see how they expect to remain in business with such an abysmal, horrid, worse than non-existent, excuse for customer service.

Their ever rising qoute, makes it now very cost effective to put cox cable back into my house, even if just for the big screen, during football season.

And subscribing via the internet, and casting now looks like a bargain. Hello ROKU on HULU.

Adios ATT/Direct first opportunity, NEVER TO GO BACK!  

Between all the old geezers I know in my friends, our church, and my seniors golf league, and my wife's position as mgr of a prominent chain of local banks, we plan on giving Att/Direct a totally justified, horrible warning/ recommendation, and often, to everyone we know, that will easily cost the company many times more than what they tried to scam off of us!

Message 22 of 44
ACE - Expert

Maybe you should try chat.  Minis/H25 receivers are $99, HR24 DVRs are $199 and if you don't have a free upgrade coming then you will pay for the service call another $99. ETE is $20 a month per unused month.

Message 23 of 44
ACE - Expert

No agent should quote what another agent will offer. That is a core issue with what you experienced. So if you are quoted and offer, that agent is supposed to set it up because they have it in front of them. Multiple times they were unable to schedule the install is a very confusing situation. To be sure you were calling 1-800-531-5000 not another number? If you were calling that number, then at this point I would go to @ATTDIRECTVCare to send them a private message.

Message 24 of 44
Teacher

They put in a new escalation so it cancels out the last one and the seven to ten days start over! Been going thru this. I would be ashamed to do this to people!
Message 25 of 44
Teacher

after reading all this nonsense I dont feel that i will get the right account or get the any gift card on top of it. wow I"ll close and stay with who I'm with thanks for all your voices

Message 26 of 44
Contributor

Avoid the DirectTV representatives in the stores.  Was tricked into a 2-yr contract when after confirming with me 3x, the rep assured me I was going to have DirectTV AND AT&T internet for $65/mo for two years.  She even gave me her personal cell # if I had any "issues". Nope, turns out satellite was $65/mo for the FIRST year, internet was a SEPARATE bill. Called DirectTV, all they could say was "sorry our rep misinformed you but you're still in our 2-yr contract".  Tried calling rep's personal #, she answered and I caught her off-guard.  She was abrupt, saying she couldn't help me and I had to call the 800#.

Now they are at Menards trying to say you won a free Menards $50 gift card, but when you give them your info for them to send you the card, they say you're signing up for a "Rewards Program", but they are secretly getting you to switch your electric company supplier to NRG.  Smells fishy to me, I'd say they DTV wades in scammer waters... >:-(

Message 27 of 44
Contributor

I had a similar problem on the phone with Direct TV rep. I think this needs to be shouted out loud to everyone. I cancelled my Direct TV service through ATT on the phone in the morning. That evening I got a call from Direct TV begging to get us back. They promised a greatly reduced rate and no contract and no cancellation fee. If I would continue with the service. The guy was a bulldog on the phone. I should have stuck with my gut, bulldogs are never a good sign. After thinking about it a few days, I realized I had nothing in writing. I knew I was scammed!!! When my bill came my service was not the promised price. Sure enough, when I called ATT to cancel, the rep could have cared less about the situation. I told the rep the details because I felt they needed to know what was going on in the company and all she did was recite the contract in a bland who cares manner. Now my cancellation fee was 5 times higher than before. I cancelled the service and will never recommend it to anyone. I consider myself to be a very savvy person when it comes to these things, Ugh, I think I need to get out my sharpener!!! 

Message 28 of 44
Contributor

I had a similar problem on the phone with Direct TV rep. I think this needs to be shouted out loud to everyone. I cancelled my Direct TV service through ATT on the phone in the morning. That evening I got a call from Direct TV begging to get us back. They promised a greatly reduced rate and no contract and no cancellation fee. If I would continue with the service. The guy was a bulldog on the phone. I should have stuck with my gut, bulldogs are never a good sign. After thinking about it a few days, I realized I had nothing in writing. I knew I was scammed!!! When my bill came my service was not the promised price. Sure enough, when I called ATT to cancel, the rep could have cared less about the situation. I told the rep the details because I felt they needed to know what was going on in the company and all she did was recite the contract in a bland who cares manner. Now my cancellation fee was 5 times higher than before. I cancelled the service and will never recommend it to anyone. I consider myself to be a very savvy person when it comes to these things, Ugh, I think I need to get out my sharpener!!! 

Message 29 of 44
Contributor

I am a college student and if it helps Directv was discussed in our Business and Professional Ethics class.  They are considered one of the most UN-ethical companies, and their new parent AT&T even more so. I grew up around the telecommunications industry, as my father work in it as a Program Manager first in the satellite field and then later the fiber optics field for 30+ years.   Trust me telecom has plenty of dirty deeds and skeletons in the closet. Remember this the the industry that spawned Bernard Ebbers the WORST fraudster in U.S. History. 

Unfortunately my parents are Directv customers since 1997, but after September when their contract runs out they are GONE!  We have been treated like dog poo on the bottom of a shoe. It wasn't always bad but it started heading south in the fall of 2013.  In October of 2013 I paid the bill online for my parents. I had a confirmation number and email.  We started receiving phone calls saying we didn't pay the bill. I gave them the confirmation number, date and time I had paid the bill.  They kept insisting that the bill was not paid.  Well we went round and round.  I refused to pay another bill until they tell us what happened to my payment.

So it spiraled until December at this point my sister an IT major and experienced IT person got involved. They were saying our bank account was closed, which was bull as we'd paid them out the same account for the last year. Sis demanded to speak with one of their IT people that worked with the servers and software that processed the payments. It was ONLY then that we discover a computer glitch on the part of Directv is why our payment did not process.  When you pay your bill you input your payment information into their interface, it is transferred to a large server where it is validated, then it is transferred to the ACH(Automated Clearing House) which is a huge network that processes financial transactions, from there it is transferred to your bank.  Your bank then sends the money through the same process. Well when the information was transmitted to the ACH the data became corrupted and part of the account number was lost.  Directv upon being shown the error was on them, was apologetic. I paid October and November's bills gettign us cought up. Directv waived late charges and as a token of apology they offered to upgrade my parents receivers to the brand new Genie for the den and the HD Tivo for the bedroom.  However their token of kindness came with a two year contract.

The Genie receiver had a problem shortly  after it was installed, the picture would pixelate then freeze. At first we could reset it  and it was fine.  Then it got to where we'd have to call Directv support and have them reset from their end.  Well this went on for about a year and a half. Then one day when we'd called Directv to have it reset, the rep we talked to asked for the model number of our Genie.  I gave it to him and he said OH that receiver has been recalled.  Also during this time the HDTivo receiver had stopped being able to access On Demand. It had been advertised  as having this capability.  Directv changed the software.  So this helpful guy sent us replacement receivers and envelopes to return the old cards.  What he did NOT tell us is that this added another two years to our contract. 

The HD Tivo receiver it turns out no longer can access On Demand because Directv change their software so it is incompatible. They also disabled the swivel search and the other Tivo specific features. So we got rid of the Tivo receiver.  Yet to this day they STILL advertise the HD-DVR receiver with Tivo as having Swivel Search and being able to access On Demand content.  I find it not only unethical but flat out false advertisement. I guess when you are as big as Directv  you can pay off enough people to get away with whatever you like.  We decided stupidly to get a Genie mini wireless for the bedroom, this is when we discover that the so-called recall had added two years to the contract.   I was told by one Directv supervisor they had NEVER had a recall in the history of Directv.  So I told him to pull the tapes since they "Record their calls for quality and assurance". Well he refused and I had to keep climbing the ladder till I got someone at the corporate level that listened.  I think his listen because I said if they didn't look into this mess I would bring in my lawyer and have him subpoena their recordings.  They suddenly "found" account notes that supposedly no one else could find before and the notes backed up what I said.  So instead of having four years on the contract they just left it at two. 

I had hoped that was the end of the problems.  HA! I wish!  In February of this year I experienced a Directv billing glitch.  I had no bill generate. I knew this wasn't right and alerted Directv billing support.  Billing support told me "Oh you must have over paid or something you don't have a bill this month."  I said are you SURE? The guy said yes. I said are you absolutely sure? He said yes absolutely sure.  So I rang off.   I want to note that I always make my business calls on my cellphone.  I do this because a cellphone and the cellphone bill log the exact time. date and length of the call.  This way a company can't oh you never notified us.  I have been fight the billing glitch until this month I finally got a resolution besides refunding late fees. We are marking time until September.  Directv's attitude to customers is they don't matter, there is plenty more where you came from. Honestly it is time people wake up  and see there other alternatives.  Alternatives such as Roku, Slingtv, Hulu, and Netflix we no longer need Directv or any other cable/satellite service.  Fight back the only way we can, STOP GIVE THEM YOUR MONEY!

Message 30 of 44
Share this topic
Share this topic
Announcements

If your DIRECTV account has recently moved into myAT&T, let us help you manage your DIRECTV account in myAT&T.

Additional Support