Explore & discover

Helpful Links

Is Direct TV a scam?

Tutor

Is Direct TV a scam?

I have had a terrbile experience so far with Direct TV. It all started when I originally seen them advertising their service inside Walmart. I had told them I am not ready to sign up as I am moving in 2 months. At this point they told me I get one free move a year, so I was happy about not having to pay moving fees. Also, they were offering a $225 Wamart giftcard for signing up for Direct TV service. Otherwise I was totally fine with my other service. Right before we moved we cancelled the so called "3 months of free HBO,STARZ, ETC" So it came time to move, and sure enough they were going to charge me near $300 for moving services. I explained what I was told by their staff at Walmart to a "Manager" and they said thats on their marketing department. They gave me a number for them. Their marketing department said there is nothing they can do for us. Well I still have yet to recieve my Walmart gift card as well for that account. So I continue to pay for Direct TV service while not actually recieving the service, as I am un able to pay $300 for moving the service. On top of that, WE WERE STILL GETTING CHARGED FOR HBO, STARZ, ETC. The representitive that sold us the service also would not return our calls or answer the phone. Here's where it gets extremely weird. I went shopping at Walmart one day and noticed there were Direct TV representatives there again. So we stopped to ask them what was going on. The rep that sold us the service was not there. When we asked them where the rep was that sold us our service, they told us SHE WAS FIRED FOR LYING TO CUSTOMERS JUST TO GET THEM SIGNED UP!!!! At this point I was furious, managers pointing fingers to other departments within the company. Direct TV knew about these kind of problems happening and would refuse to help us with our move. So the gentleman at Walmart had his "manager" give us a call. Had many conversations, between phone and text. This manager claimed he would take care of my account if we re signed up for Direct TV under my wifes name. I thought this was weird but he explained that you can't resign up for Direct TV within a year of cancelling an account. So I figured he was telling the truth. Turns out after my wife signed up for an account he never responded to us after that. Also once again another 225$ Walmart giftcard was offered and we filled out the form for the giftcard once again, and still have yet to see it. HE NEVER TOOK CARE OF MY FIRST ACCOUNT AND WILL NOT RESPOND!!!! JUST LIKE OUR FIRST SALES REPRESENTATIVE!!!!! Now I am paying 2 DIRECT TV BILLS, oh and cancelled both "free 3 month entertainment packages" but am still getting charged for them! No one on the phone has been able to help. Maybe this will get some attention, and if it doesn't I will definatley take it up the ladder as needed. I'm giving Direct TV a chance to make things right. Thank you for your time!!!

If Direct TV is willing to make this right, let me know

Thanks!

Thomas

Message 1 of 44

Re: Is Direct TV a scam?

Information is completely inaccurate, I am so disappointed with taking up this offer. I have so many issues with Direct TV. I have to call constantly because I get told one thing and then the other. I have conversations saved from what was quoted. My advise is always record conversations and save transcripts.

Message 31 of 44

I SUPPORT THIS MESSAGE 100$%

Message 32 of 44

Directv is a scam they have there sales rep in walmart lying runing your credit and lying saying yes you have been approve just pay installation. Take your money out your account them the next day get a call from Directv/AT&T saying you were not approved we will refund your money and your money is never returned. Scam Scam Scam

Message 33 of 44
ACE - Expert

@Allaboutmymoney wrote:

Directv is a scam they have there sales rep in walmart lying runing your credit and lying saying yes you have been approve just pay installation. Take your money out your account them the next day get a call from Directv/AT&T saying you were not approved we will refund your money and your money is never returned. Scam Scam Scam

Those folks in WalMart are NOT DirecTV or AT&T employees. They work for third party companies that in turn sell contracts on your behalf to DirecTV.  They'll promise anything to make a sale. I wish DirecTV would crack down on them!

For official support call DirecTV 1-800-531-5000 or AT&T 1-800-288-2020.
Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 34 of 44
Contributor

They are overcharging me also and refuse to even put me through to the loyalty dept who told me my bill would only be 32. a month.  Then they more then doubled that without notice and informed me if I didn't pay it i would be disconnected. 

Why would someone be stupid enough to pay a amount they don't owe just to talk with a person that told you to only pay a set amount?  So I am disconnected because of this.  They are a very dishonest company.  They will not get the money out of me for sure

Message 35 of 44

Only pay with a credit card so when they screw you you have a course of action against them!

Message 36 of 44

No that doesn't work either.

Message 37 of 44
Contributor

Yes, I’ll tell you my story. I tried to get DIRECTV NOW their streaming service that I could cancel at any time because I’m 83 and did not a two year obligation. But I couldn’t get it connected. I then  went  to the AT&T store and asked the salesman what it would take to get onto DIRECTV. The salesman told me I would get the promotion price for a two year period. So I excepted. I signed a blank computer screen. My bad!   Then the AT&T technician (when they check to see if the unit was working) told me that the promotion price was only for one year and at the second year AT&T could charge a much higher rate. So I called the AT&T salesman and he said don’t worry about it they’ll be a promotion at the other at the end of the year. I still was not satisfied as I didn’t let like to be cheated so I decided to cancel again. This time when I called AT&T I got their loyalty service and a man named Hector told me  I could have a new term with no contract and I could cancel at any time just like under DIRECTV NOW. When I got the first printed bill I noticed the terms had not changed at all and I was locked into a two-year agreement.So I was just so disappointed with this cheating by AT&T representatives I decided I wanted nothing to do with AT&T and I just canceled the program. We’ll see what happens if they try to sue for an early termination fee.

Message 38 of 44

Georgia1212's responses from direct tv sounds pretty normal. I'm not cases when you sign a contract with a third party seller, like at Walmart or Sam's club, there is a waiver in very fine print that's states that direct tv is not responsible for misinformation from the 3rd party sellers. 

I do however have direct TV kudos for actually allowing customers duped by 3rd party sellers intentional misrepresentation to make the sale for the commission. But you must send direct tv copies of the contract signed by you and the 3rd party sellers. Sometimes direct tv will honor that contract. Sometimes not. Like the one move per year. It specifically states in the contract, even the 3rd party sellers contract that you must be a customer at least one year and your account must be in good standing and the time of the request for the move. That's just one example of terms that direct tv cannot change to meet the contract from the 3rd party seller. I know it isn't fair for the customer who was lied to but it's simply legalities on direct TV. 

Just goes to show that the old saying read before you sign still holds plenty of truth even in these days of advanced technology. i hope this helps you Georgia 1212, even if it's just a little bit. 

Message 39 of 44

Direct tv won't stop using these 3rd party sellers because it's much cheaper to use than rather than actual direct tv salespeople. 

However i agree with you wholeheartedly that they should crack down on these sellers. Maybe make these sellers pay for what they promised to the customer they knew that direct tv would not and could not honor. Once the payments from these sellers started coming out of their commission checks, it's highly likely this will weed out the people lying to customers just to make the sale and make their commission. Then, and only then would you have honest people trying their best to make a sale. 

Message 40 of 44
ACE - Expert

@Bobbbobb wrote:

Yes, I’ll tell you my story. I tried to get DIRECTV NOW their streaming service that I could cancel at any time because I’m 83 and did not a two year obligation. But I couldn’t get it connected. I then  went  to the AT&T store and asked the salesman what it would take to get onto DIRECTV. The salesman told me I would get the promotion price for a two year period. So I excepted. I signed a blank computer screen. My bad!   Then the AT&T technician (when they check to see if the unit was working) told me that the promotion price was only for one year and at the second year AT&T could charge a much higher rate. So I called the AT&T salesman and he said don’t worry about it they’ll be a promotion at the other at the end of the year. I still was not satisfied as I didn’t let like to be cheated so I decided to cancel again. This time when I called AT&T I got their loyalty service and a man named Hector told me  I could have a new term with no contract and I could cancel at any time just like under DIRECTV NOW. When I got the first printed bill I noticed the terms had not changed at all and I was locked into a two-year agreement.So I was just so disappointed with this cheating by AT&T representatives I decided I wanted nothing to do with AT&T and I just canceled the program. We’ll see what happens if they try to sue for an early termination fee.

Directv Now (streaming) and DirecTV (satellite), though both owned by AT&T have no affect on each other. Same as with Uverse, they are run as completely separate TV providers.

Agents at AT&T stores do not work for DirecTV, they can only send new orders to them similar to 3rd party retailers (that they used to be).

Always read the order confirmation from DirecTV itself as that is what you are getting. Intro price for 1 year, but 2 year agreement for value of equipment and install. The agreement is not secured until installed and activated, so up until that point you can modify or close the order if it will not work for you.

If you activated service and canceled you would be subject to value of $20 for each month remaining on the 24 month agreement. They don't have to sue you, they just charge you. However with misinformation provided at an AT&T store and supposedly from someone working directly for DirecTV (over the phone customer care), call DirecTV back (1-800-531-5000) and request a supervisor to submit a complaint on both the store employee and call center agent you dealt with.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(Included after every post)
I am a customer, not an employee. This is a public forum.
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 41 of 44
Contributor

Thanks for the information but it does not solve the problem particularly by the customer care representative who called himself Hector. I doubt now that is his name and he had a good laugh on how he tricked me. But the loss may be AT&T. I was a long time customer of Direct TV although did not like their pricing with so many friends streaming. But now will not likely ever buy another AT&T product.
Message 42 of 44
Contributor

So looks like the company is a scam..because dosent look like they resolved this guy and his wifes complaints.

Message 43 of 44
Highlighted
ACE - Expert

@Wyatt56 wrote:

So looks like the company is a scam..because dosent look like they resolved this guy and his wifes complaints.

The company is not a scam. But there are certainly issues with some agents since AT&T acquired DirecTV. Has gotten better since the beginning, but does feel like it should be much better at this point.

We don't know if their complaints are resolved unless they choose to tell us.

If you have your own issue, or questions, other customer's would be happy to help or to try and provide guidance. I would suggest your own thread with the specifics.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(Included after every post)
I am a customer, not an employee. This is a public forum.
Message 44 of 44
Share this topic
Share this topic
Announcements

If your DIRECTV account has recently moved into myAT&T, let us help you manage your DIRECTV account in myAT&T.

Additional Support