Is Direct TV a scam?

Highlighted
Contributor

Is Direct TV a scam?

I have had a terrbile experience so far with Direct TV. It all started when I originally seen them advertising their service inside Walmart. I had told them I am not ready to sign up as I am moving in 2 months. At this point they told me I get one free move a year, so I was happy about not having to pay moving fees. Also, they were offering a $225 Wamart giftcard for signing up for Direct TV service. Otherwise I was totally fine with my other service. Right before we moved we cancelled the so called "3 months of free HBO,STARZ, ETC" So it came time to move, and sure enough they were going to charge me near $300 for moving services. I explained what I was told by their staff at Walmart to a "Manager" and they said thats on their marketing department. They gave me a number for them. Their marketing department said there is nothing they can do for us. Well I still have yet to recieve my Walmart gift card as well for that account. So I continue to pay for Direct TV service while not actually recieving the service, as I am un able to pay $300 for moving the service. On top of that, WE WERE STILL GETTING CHARGED FOR HBO, STARZ, ETC. The representitive that sold us the service also would not return our calls or answer the phone. Here's where it gets extremely weird. I went shopping at Walmart one day and noticed there were Direct TV representatives there again. So we stopped to ask them what was going on. The rep that sold us the service was not there. When we asked them where the rep was that sold us our service, they told us SHE WAS FIRED FOR LYING TO CUSTOMERS JUST TO GET THEM SIGNED UP!!!! At this point I was furious, managers pointing fingers to other departments within the company. Direct TV knew about these kind of problems happening and would refuse to help us with our move. So the gentleman at Walmart had his "manager" give us a call. Had many conversations, between phone and text. This manager claimed he would take care of my account if we re signed up for Direct TV under my wifes name. I thought this was weird but he explained that you can't resign up for Direct TV within a year of cancelling an account. So I figured he was telling the truth. Turns out after my wife signed up for an account he never responded to us after that. Also once again another 225$ Walmart giftcard was offered and we filled out the form for the giftcard once again, and still have yet to see it. HE NEVER TOOK CARE OF MY FIRST ACCOUNT AND WILL NOT RESPOND!!!! JUST LIKE OUR FIRST SALES REPRESENTATIVE!!!!! Now I am paying 2 DIRECT TV BILLS, oh and cancelled both "free 3 month entertainment packages" but am still getting charged for them! No one on the phone has been able to help. Maybe this will get some attention, and if it doesn't I will definatley take it up the ladder as needed. I'm giving Direct TV a chance to make things right. Thank you for your time!!!

If Direct TV is willing to make this right, let me know

Thanks!

Thomas

Message 1 of 15
ACE - Expert

Re: Is Direct TV a scam?

The person you talked to at Walmart almost certainly did not work for DirecTV, but for a reseller, probably Smart Circle. Unfortunately they have a reputation for doing things like this. The sales people get a commission for everyone they sign up.

You should not put phone numbers in a public post like this. 

You can try sending a PM to @ATTDIRECTVCare

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 2 of 15
Scholar

That's pretty savage...     You weren't speaking with DTV employees at Walmart.  So it seems like they are the ones running the game on you. 

Message 3 of 15
Contributor

Then if they carry this reputation why does Direct TV let them wear Direct TV uniforms and let them sell the service!

Message 4 of 15
ACE - Expert

These "sales reps" give DirecTV a bad reputation!

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 5 of 15
Professor

Directv is not a scam, but be cautious of 3rd party retailers in place like Wal-Mart.

Directv like many other companies do contract out with 3rd party retailers to sell their products and services. That is why they can have the logo on their shirts or even have logos of competitors on their shirts as well. Places like Wal-Mart and Sam's Club, where you usually would expect little kiosks about, are nomally 3rd party whether it be tv, cell phone, etc., not a direct retail store. Directv in particular being nationwide satellite tv, does not have local retail stores.

3 free months of premium channels is a common start up offer, but in the hopes you like it and not to interupt what you are still watching or recording, you call to remove the premiums when you are done with them, they don't automaically drop off.. The 'free' move if you qualify, has to be at least a year since your last move or initial install.

If the retailer is unable to help you, even after confirming that employee got fired for this type of situation, I would call Directv (1-800-531-5000) as they can look up your order and get the dealer phone number for to call that runs the local retailer so you can put this to the next higher level.

Message 6 of 15
Teacher

Good luck! Been dealing with billing overcharge for Uverse and Directv bundle for 9months now. They have overcharged me by a total of $450 from what they promised. On the last escalation call, they said that I must have misunderstood, or the customer rep misspoke, so they want to only give me a $100 credit and give me the deal with less internet speed and less channels. Total Bull! I said it was unnacceptable and Anna from Arizona said she would get off phone and supervisor would call me in half hour. Of Course no call! 4 times they told me it would be fixed and I woyld get deal promised, now they say they shouldn't have given you taht deal, sorry, you're out of luck, we basically defrauded you and you paid twice as much for cable than you were planning to.I don't if it would be worth suing them.

Message 7 of 15
Contributor

Yes this "Gift Card Promotion" is a scam. After two months I called to check on the status of my gift card and they said it was undeliverable and had been returned and destroyed. If I had not called to check on it they would not have contacted me. They had sent the first card to the incorrect address, not my mailing address like I told them to originally. 

So I told them the correct mailing address again on September 4th. They said I would receive it within 4 to 6 weeks. I called again about it October 17th and they said the new card "request" had been "processed" September 19th. So they sat on the new replacement card order for almost two weeks before they "procesed" it, whatever that means. They also said on October 17th that the card had not been mailed yet. After complianing to the DirectTV agent I signed up with, he forwarded my complaint and on October 31st I received a call from an agent saying the card was in process and would take "6 to 8 weeks" from the date it had been "processed" (September 19th). This was the first time anyone said 6 to 8 weeks, everyone else says 4 to 6 weeks, which is still a bullsh*t long of a time. I called again about it November 1st and they said the card has still not been mailed and was tentatively scheduled to be mailed November 7th.

I have been waiting since June for my "Gift Card", which was a primary reason I switched to DirectTV. Also the sign-up agent promised that I would be able to bundle my DirectTV bill with my ATT bill and save another $10/month. Turns out that incentive was cancelled a few days after I signed up, so I didn't get that promise either.

With modern technology it shouldn't take two weeks to "process" the order and another 4 to 6 weeks or more to mail the dam thing. I will not be renewing my DirectTV when my contract is up. 

[Inappropriate content removed]

Message 8 of 15
ACE - Expert

They should dump the whole "gift card" promotion strategy.  Causes way too many issues.  

Message 9 of 15
ACE - Professor

@litzdog911many companies count on people not following through with mail in rebates and such

Message 10 of 15
ACE - Expert

mdram4x4 wrote:

@litzdog911many companies count on people not following through with mail in rebates and such

Of course that's true.  But that doesn't make it a good marketing incentive.  Too many people have issues, and takes too long to get these rebate cards.  

Message 11 of 15

Yes it is. They trick people and then laugh about having you in a 24 month contract. Avoid this company!
Message 12 of 15
ACE - Expert

@Georgia1212, such helpful advice!  Smiley Happy

Message 13 of 15
Professor

@Georgia1212

Sorry to hear you had a bad experience, but Directv is not a scam. If a agent misrepresented the company by accident or intentionally tricked you, either way send that feedback to Directv. See what options they have to correct the situation.

And to all, whether it being starting service or making changes, make sure to read what is sent to you (order confirmations, monthly bill, etc.) so you are fully informed.

Message 14 of 15

No advice for a company that refuses to help people.  I was literally told, "oh well, you agreed to a 24 month contract" when I expressed an issue I was having.  @litzdog911

Message 15 of 15
You must type a description before you click preview or reply.
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the DIRECTV Account Board! Check out our helpful articles below and don’t forget to search the forums - your question may have been answered already!

Have a billing concern? Click here to chat with us!

Additional Support