Explore & discover

Helpful Links

I live in Eastern Montana (Sidney) so why do I have to get North Dakota programming?

Contributor

I live in Eastern Montana (Sidney) so why do I have to get North Dakota programming?

I am paying for a premium subscription and live in Eastern Montana but get North Dakota local channels.  This is very frustrating and unfair.  I don't care about ND news or sports.  I am a huge Montana Grizzly fan and everything is blacked out!  I should at least get to have a choice to receive Montana stations!!!  This is my only complaint but it is a huge one.

Message 1 of 8
ACE - Expert

Re: I live in Eastern Montana (Sidney) so why do I have to get North Dakota programming?

The FCC determines what locals you get per your zip code, DTV has no say in it

This will tell you with channels you get: http://www.directv.com/DTVAPP/packProg/localChannels.jsp?assetId=cms_local_channels

Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 2 of 8
ACE - Expert

Re: I live in Eastern Montana (Sidney) so why do I have to get North Dakota programming?

What's your zip code?

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 3 of 8
Contributor

Message 4 of 8
ACE - Expert

According to the lookup site at www.directv.com/locals, you get the Minot-Bismarck-Dickinson ND 59270

local stations.

This is with the FCC mandates bases on your DMA (designated market area).  Nothing DirecTV can do about it.

Message 5 of 8
ACE - Professor

You could get an antenna provided you're close enough to the broadcast towers with no obstacles.

Message 6 of 8
ACE - Expert
Solution
Accepted by ACE - Expert (ACE - Expert)
Accepted by litzdog911
‎09-08-2018 3:46 PM

The locals you get are based on what DMA you are in. Your zip code is in the Minot-bismarck-dickinson DMA so you get their locals. DirecTV does not have control over this, it's an FCC ruling, so they can't change it. 

Tags (1)
Message 7 of 8
Contributor

We are very rural so I don't think that is an option. I will look into it though. Thanks!
Message 8 of 8
Share this topic
Share this topic
Additional Support