Explore & discover

Helpful Links

I have been called by someone representing direct TV saying they have a promo with Amazon!

Highlighted
Contributor

I have been called by someone representing direct TV saying they have a promo with Amazon!

I have DirectTV/ATT my number is [edited for privacy – please do not post personal information]   I have had 3 calls from someone representing DirectTV/ATT to offer me a promo.  Saying that Amazon wants to promote their Gift Cards through Direct TV customer base, they insist that I prepay the next 4 months of billing at $120/Mo and then, in February, my regular bills will start back up but at the reduced rate of $120/mo for the next 20 months.  No contract extension but I will receive extra programming including HBO/Cinemax and NFL Sunday Ticket.  In addition, if I prepay in the next 48 hours, I would receive a Visa Gift Card of $150 in time for Christmas.  

To take advantage of this wonderful promotion, I just need to call 1-888-693-3754 and use promo DTV070205 and be ready with Amazon Gift Cards.

This sounds more than shady.  I am on hold with DirectTV trying to find out if it is real or not but the service and slowness has been driving me crazy so I thought I would post and see if anyone else had this experience? 

Message 1 of 11
ACE - Expert
Solution
Accepted by topic author
Accepted by mhain202
‎11-07-2017 1:34 PM

Re: I have been called by someone representing direct TV saying they have a promo with Amazon!

This is a scam. In fact any offer that involves you paying with gift cards is a scam.

Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Tags (1)
Message 2 of 11
Contributor

Re: I have been called by someone representing direct TV saying they have a promo with Amazon!

Please beware at&t and DirectTV customers.  This person really trip himself telling me that he is calling me to offer current customers discount because there were a lot of existing customers complaining that their bills are too high.   Then later telling me that it is an Amazon promotion.  I let him give me the whole spill then I went to AT&T to check on it.  As I thought it was a scam.  The number he called from is 800-748-3243 and the number he had me call is 888-301-9087(answered as DirectTV)  and I told him that I just wanted to verify the Amazon promotion and told him that I don't have my account number if he could give it to me and the account number is not correct.  

Message 3 of 11
Contributor

Don't do it.  It is a SCAM

Message 4 of 11
ACE - Expert

@mhain202

Careful this is a public forum. You have had your personal phone numbers listed for the world to see for about a month alongside showing you have Directv and AT&T. Be very cautious of any calls, emails, and such from now on that you didn't solicit.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(Included after every post)
I am a customer, not an employee. This is a public forum.
For official support call DirecTV 1-800-531-5000 or AT&T 1-800-288-2020.
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 5 of 11
Contributor

I had this issue today too...I called the "DTV/ATT" promotions number and they verified my address and then asked if I had the Amazon card in order to pay for my first two months of bills...I said no and he kindly stated as long as I called back by 10:00pm eastern I'd get the $200 visa lol...I told him straight up I was calling this a scam but would contact DTV/ATT directly through the phone app to discuss with them Smiley Wink.  He hung up!

Message 6 of 11
ACE - Expert

We kept telling anyone that posts here that there is no gift card promos and it is a scam but they still fall for it.

Message 7 of 11
Contributor

Thank you for this information.. I definitely got scammed out my money because I actually did what they told me. And I just wanted to know if there is anyway I can get my money back..?? But I guess it’s too late they already have the money.. So I should have known better.. I wish it was a way to get rid of these people scamming decent people out of their money. It’s really aggravating...😡🤬

Message 8 of 11
ACE - Expert

@CandySpliffs wrote:

Thank you for this information.. I definitely got scammed out my money because I actually did what they told me. And I just wanted to know if there is anyway I can get my money back..?? But I guess it’s too late they already have the money.. So I should have known better.. I wish it was a way to get rid of these people scamming decent people out of their money. It’s really aggravating...😡🤬

File a police report.   You can claim the loss on your Federal (and maybe state) taxes.  Maybe if they get enough reports, they'll start trying to hunt down the scammers and the accomplices.

Message 9 of 11

Directv is running commercials on tv claiming a 100 dollar reward card if you sign up for directv...is that a scam,too?

Message 10 of 11
ACE - Expert

@Jjuliasullivan wrote:

Directv is running commercials on tv claiming a 100 dollar reward card if you sign up for directv...is that a scam,too?

No, not a scam. 

Message 11 of 11
Share this topic
Share this topic
Announcements

If your DIRECTV account has recently moved into myAT&T, let us help you manage your DIRECTV account in myAT&T.

Additional Support