Explore & discover

Helpful Links

Genie scam

Highlighted
Contributor

Genie scam

Got a call from AT&T offering an upgrade of genie 2 at no cost but needed 199.00 shipping cost. Also reduction in bill for 1 year. True or scam 

Message 1 of 3
ACE - Expert
Solution
Accepted by topic author
Accepted by JC1948
‎07-11-2019 7:42 PM

Re: Genie scam

Scam.

Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Tags (1)
Message 2 of 3
ACE - Expert
Solution
Accepted by Community Manager (Community Manager)
Accepted by ATTDmitriyCM
‎07-24-2019 9:02 AM

Re: Genie scam

@JC1948 wrote:

Got a call from AT&T offering an upgrade of genie 2 at no cost but needed 199.00 shipping cost. Also reduction in bill for 1 year. True or scam 

Most likely scam from someone spoofing AT&T's number. For official upgrades, or to discuss any possible discounts, you call DirecTV 1-800-531-5000.

Also shipping cost is not $199. That would be the cost of a Genie or Genie-2 upgrade when you are not qualified for a free one. Even if you legitimately qualified for a free upgrade, I highly suggest you do NOT get the Genie-2 (HS17) because of a restrictive design plus still dealing with some post launch bugs.

If you were to post the model numbers of each box you have now, other experienced customers could give guidance on upgrades to make sure you get what is best for you. That way when you do call to upgrade, you don't end up with a sub-optimal order because of an overzealous agent. And would you be adding a TV or just seeing about options for what you already have?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(Included after every post)
I am a customer, not an employee. This is a public forum.
For official support call DirecTV 1-800-531-5000 or AT&T 1-800-288-2020.
Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Tags (1)
Message 3 of 3
Share this topic
Share this topic
Announcements

If your DIRECTV account has recently moved into myAT&T, let us help you manage your DIRECTV account in myAT&T.

Additional Support