Explore & discover

Helpful Links

Genie 2 ordering FRUSTRATION!!!!

Teacher

Genie 2 ordering FRUSTRATION!!!!

I haven’t been a DirecTv customer for a month and I’m already exhausted.  I have NEVER seen a company act so stingy with hardware for customers.  When I was with Comcast and I requested new equipment they were always happy to either send it to me or let me pick it up free of charge, no down payment, a quick and easy process.  With DirecTv, I’ve been through so much misinformation, lies, and just been told some plain stupid stuff trying to get the hardware I originally requested. I’ll explain my setup briefly I have 6 TV’s I want to connect and be able to watch at any time, all the TV’s are 4K, 3 of them have a built-in RVU so I do not need a receiver with them.  I decided to switch to DirecTv from Comcast because I was at a friend’s house and noticed DirecTv’s picture quality is better.  DirecTv has a device, a Genie 2,  that would allow me to watch 7 HD devices simultaneously but you all refuse to give it to me.  When I ordered the DirecTv I completed my web order then called and requested a Genie 2, the guy on the phone set it up (so he said, but how do I really know). 

The tech shows up at my home on installation day with a Genie 1, I ask about the Genie 2 he says he doesn’t have one.  So I let him complete the install and after I called and inquired about the missing Genie 2, I am told they are going to get someone to come out and switch my genie 1 for a Genie 2 they just need to transfer me, I got about 30 sec of silence then the call was disconnected and I did NOT receive a call back. 

I call again about a week later but after 20mins on hold I hung up.  Then I called again about another week later and after 45mins and 3 transfers and the lady tells me she is going to get a Genie 2 and a mini (because the Genie 2 does not have a built-in tuner) sent out to me.  She tells me that I am being transferred to another dept. so they can waive the charges (I just don’t understand why DirecTv customers are charged a down payment for something that can ONLY be used with DirecTv).  Anyway, she transfers me and the guy tells me he is not the one I should be talking to and he transferred me again, I’m now on the 5th person and were at an hour on the phone, the issue is still unresolved.  The new lady I’m talking to has no idea why she got my call so I have to explain all of this to her and she did genuinely try to help me.  First, she said I had to wait two years if I wanted to get the Genie 2 for free because of my contract, (again why must you charge a down payment and a monthly fee)?  She said I should have told the tech to cancel the install and called to set up another install (because that’s all I have to do with my life, sit around playing “I hope they brought the right equipment” with the DirecTv installer day after day), then she tells me in 2 years you all will have something better out so I’m better off just waiting, I laughed and told her that’s what they say about cell phones.  After she did some checking she came back and said the Genie 2 is only offered to existing customers and since I’m a new customer I can get one unless I order it from a 3rd party like Solid Signal.  I laughed and asked her so what do you offer customers in my situation?  I have 6 4k TV’s and I would like to watch them without having to turn other TV’s off, it’s World Series, football, and basketball season right now.  She did not have an answer, and I repeated so what does DirecTv offer people in my situation, I have inadequate equipment, the Genie 2 was made for this exact scenario but since I’m a new customer I can’t get one that doesn’t make sense.  I know I’m not the only DirecTv customer with more than 4 TV’s, again is this not the reason the Genie 2 was even invented to service more TVs from a single device?  I end the call because it was unbelievable; again, I’ve never gone through this much to get equipment from a TV provider.

I call back the same night because on the last call before one of the transfers a lady was setting up an internet service order for me but I never got a confirmation number, install date or anything.  So I call to ask about the internet order and as the lady is going through my notes she comes across the notes from earlier where the lady said I cannot have a Genie 2 because I’m a new customer.  This lady tells me yes I can have a Genie 2 but I will also need a mini to replace the Genie 1 and I have to pay $150 for it.  I ask why am I paying for the errors of DirecTv and why are customers charged a down payment for new equipment that can only be used with DirecTv and I’m a customer, plus I will be charged monthly for the receiver so it’s really a double dip.  She actually went down to $99 but again, Comcast, Time Warner, even Uverse does not charge you to upgrade your equipment, you pay your monthly fee that’s it.  Needless to say, I declined but found it interesting that I received all these different answers and I still do NOT have a Genie 2 and the Genie 1 I have is full with 4 devices connected to it. And all I’m left with is a sore ear because I had 2 non-productive 1 hour + long, (yes both calls were more than an hour) phone calls with DirecTv in the same day.

I am writing all of this so you could understand my frustration and to AGAIN request a Genie 2 and the mini I will need to replace the Genie 1.  Please assist.

Message 1 of 37
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Genie 2 ordering FRUSTRATION!!!!

@cjedgen

HA! Sheep, their business has run like this for a long time, and I haven't had an agreement in forever. I'm happy with what I have and have no need to go further. I'm just telling it like it is, and yes, I took the time to read the customer agreement and know their processes through and through.

Message 31 of 37
Teacher

HA! Sheep, their business has run like this for a long time, and I haven't had an agreement in forever. I'm happy with what I have and have no need to go further. I'm just telling it like it is, and yes, I took the time to read the customer agreement and know their processes through and through.

@Tour_Guy_Bob

See there is the problem, just because they have been doing it for a long time does not mean it's right, that's not good logic.  Also, a class-action suit has been filed against DirecTv for these practices that they have been doing for so long.  So your point???  So in the agreement does it say to hang up on customers? Does it say to tell the customer one thing and then not do it? Does it say provide very poor customer service?  I think not.  Have you even looked at the agreement since the merger, you know it changed right?

" Terms of Service - Legal Policy Center - AT&T

8.1 Summary:

Most customer concerns can be resolved quickly and to the customer's satisfaction by calling our customer service department at 1-800-531-5000."  NOT

Funny how you attack me yet they said they would correct my situation and have not done it and you continuously overlook that, instead you quickly throw your cape on for DirecTv.

Message 32 of 37
ACE - Master

@cjedgen wrote:

@Tour_Guy_Bob

See there is the problem, just because they have been doing it for a long time does not mean it's right, that's not good logic.  Also, a class-action suit has been filed against DirecTv for these practices that they have been doing for so long.  So your point???  So in the agreement does it say to hang up on customers? Does it say to tell the customer one thing and then not do it? Does it say provide very poor customer service?  I think not.  Have you even looked at the agreement since the merger, you know it changed right?

" Terms of Service - Legal Policy Center - AT&T

8.1 Summary:

Most customer concerns can be resolved quickly and to the customer's satisfaction by calling our customer service department at 1-800-531-5000."  NOT

Funny how you attack me yet they said they would correct my situation and have not done it and you continuously overlook that, instead you quickly throw your cape on for DirecTv.

the contract specifically state arbitration, and class actions are not allowed.

so people can do a class action, but by signing the contract they gave up that right, and it will most likely go nowhere

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Anything below the is a signature :
Note: This is a customer to customer forum, I am just a customer. Employees are identified as such.
Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 33 of 37
Contributor

I'm am experiencing the same exact nonsense.  Told me to install Genie and when tech came to my house he said I wouldnt be eligible for Genie 2 unless I purchased a protection plan and then after 2 years I would get one free.  After scoping my house for an hour he tried to call his people for me to pay for the upgrade.  The person on the phone said I couldn't so I sent tech home.  Complained and customer care left me a message about a $200 credit towards Genie 2.  Called back and they said I can only have Genie installed and then call them back to replace with Genie 2.  How F'in ridiculous.  Meanwhile I had transferred my cell service to ATT along with this.  I threatened to reverse all of it and it didnt matter.  So now I have a wasted day that I took off and they are telling me I need to add another 2 days of off time just because they are so disjointed.  I get a kick out of the commercials that they tout themselves as number 1 in customer service.  WHAT A JOKE

Message 34 of 37
ACE - Expert

@stymiedny

You can get a free upgrade without the equipment protection plan (EPP). The EPP gives the additional benefit that it is guaranteed that their is no cost for service calls or delivery of receiver/clients (Upgrade or repair) and will have a exact date on when the free upgrade would be available. Without the EPP a free upgrade is usually available at least 2 years since your last upgrade, but not guaranteed. Also without the EPP service calls are $99 or delivery $19.95.

Personally it has been cheaper with the one-time costs compared to the monthly EPP over the years I have had the service. But the monthly EPP means low cost (per month) that is already invested in instead of having to budget for those one-time costs. So it depends on your personal needs if the EPP is for you or not.

Do NOT get the Genie-2. Buggy system and is a downgrade from the regular Genie line in most cases. Poor design that it forbids other HDDVRs from being on account. I would suggest posting back with the model of boxes your currently have so a more optimal upgrade may be suggested.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(Included after every post)
I am a customer, not an employee. This is a public forum.
For official support call DirecTV 1-800-531-5000 or AT&T 1-800-288-2020.
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 35 of 37
Contributor

Currently have 2-4K and 3HD TV's.  I was told the Genie only has 1 usable 4K channel for streaming.  I had a genie a few years back and if you are recording 2-3 shows at the same time it only leaves 2 tv's capable of watching tv.  That was a problem

Message 36 of 37
Highlighted
ACE - Expert

@stymiedny

There are 2 options for 4K. The first is with the 3rd generation Genie (HR54) on one of your HD TVs with the 4K model of a Mini Genie Client (C61K) on the 4K TV itself. This setup allows 1 TV at a time to use one of the 3 true 4K channels. But Clients have no tuners of their own so it uses 1 from the Genie itself. Now the Genie has the benefit that you can have HDDVRs on all other TVs as you choose. Each of those have 2 tuners so there are no conflicts, but still share their recording lists with each other. So you could have the Genie and 3 HDDVRs and 1 C61K on the 4K TV you feel would get the most use out of those channels so you don't have to worry about micro managing the shared tuners between the Genie and only 1 Client.

The Genie-2 (HS17) does allow up to 2 of the 4K streams at a time, so both your 4K TVs could get full use. However, it does not work with anything but Clients. So the 7 tuners it has is the max share across all TVs which at 5 TVs (3 HD, 2 4K) would be a high risk of tuner conflicts for recording. And this has post launch bugs still being worked out. If it supported other HDDVRs like the regular Genie line, and had the bugs worked out, this would be a much better setup.

Unless you have a huge desire for the 4K channels (1 regular, 1 special events, 1 PPV), the best setup is a regular Genie (2nd gen HR44 or 3rd gen HR54) and 4 HDDVRs. This way all TVs get your full service, no tuner conflicts, and recordings are watchable from any TV. And there is no monthly cost difference between HDDVR or Client. For example I have a Genie and 2 HDDVRs (9 tuners total) so swapping an HDDVR for the C61K would be a loss of two tuners that my household does use.

So HDDVRs are better to use with a Genie than Clients because of the 2 tuners each and additional recording space. Swapping HDDVR to a Client is not worth it for a couple of channels, in my opinion. Genie and HDDVRs working together is a fine setup.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(Included after every post)
I am a customer, not an employee. This is a public forum.
For official support call DirecTV 1-800-531-5000 or AT&T 1-800-288-2020.
Message 37 of 37
Share this topic
Share this topic
Announcements

If your DIRECTV account has recently moved into myAT&T, let us help you manage your DIRECTV account in myAT&T.

Additional Support