Explore & discover

Helpful Links

Disappointed that Direct TV has no complaint department with actual humans.

Disappointed that Direct TV has no complaint department with actual humans.

I was advised by a nice gentleman named Ernest (customer loyalty department) that Direct TV has no complaint department where I can speak with a human being about my concerns.  First, company policy places time limits on customer loyalty incentives - strange policy which requires to read the fine print on each bill and then perform a dance every six months to reinstate when the intention should simply be to keep longstanding customers on board.  Second, is that Direct TV will not pro-rate on a current billing cycle.  My example is stopping HBO mid-cycle.  I must pay direct TV for service which I have cancelled, then be credited in the following billing cycle.  I was told that there was no possible way to credit an existing bill prior to payment even though I have had this done several times before.  Third, I was advised that DirectTV has also changed their policy about pro-rating bills for cancelled service.  If you truly are the best service provider, become your own competition and be even better for your customer rather than worse.  Lastly, issuing a complaint or concern should be easy over the phone.  Other service providing companies have held onto that important connection with their customers.  Human to human still works if you let it.  I feel disappointed in being a customer of Direct TV - they missed an opportunity to be better.

Message 1 of 20

Re: Disappointed that Direct TV has no complaint department with actual humans.

If you are looking for a deal, perhaps you shouldn’t be making the purchase in the first place. Taking your own advice, of course.
Message 16 of 20
ACE - Expert

Never said I was looking for a deal. But if I am already settled on a purchase and I happen to have a coupon for it or there is a special running, then bonus. I don't make decisions about getting something based on if it is in a deal or not.

Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 17 of 20

Well it was certainly a long walk, but thank you for restating my original point.
Message 18 of 20
ACE - Expert

@Disapp01nted wrote:
Well it was certainly a long walk, but thank you for restating my original point.

Going from your original post (dance every 6 months, limits on incentives, etc.) and following posts it seems your original point is that you believe that discounts should always be available so call in often to get them. In my opinion, calling that often and expecting discounts is either indicative of having too much service for your finances, or a perception of entitlement.

I review the channels I watch to make sure that I am in not in a higher package than I will use. This gives me a nice simple bill that does not "yo-yo". I have had the occasional 12 month discount, but when it ends I certainly don't rush to find out the next big deal. If I have a question on my account, or making changes, certainly I may ask if their is a special available at that time but if not I understand. They provide me a service, I pay for that service. If I don't like what I am paying, then I can reduce my services accordingly instead of expecting them to cover costs for me.

Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 19 of 20

Yay!  Called to pay my bill and they pro-rated it as originally requested.  I'm still determined on the human interaction and loyalty discount things though.  I understand that I am likely pounding sand, but that's alright.  Juniper, I am actually quite financially secure but as Dave Ramsey say's "Rich people stay rich because they spend like they are poor."  I see no reason not to look for deals or even to expect loyalty discounts and human interaction.  As you have noticed, I'm not easily persuaded on those points.  Companies often do those things because they know we as consumers have many options these days.  I see value in providing feedback to a company that makes an adversarial policy change for customers.  Yes, I could just gracefully accept the change but I choose not to.  If that makes me a bad person in your eyes, so be it but I also am quick to provide favorable feedback when appropriate.  You have a very good grasp on what works for you and I don't wish to judge you as doing something wrong with your approach.  Truly, take good care and have an awesome 2019.

Message 20 of 20
Share this topic
Share this topic
Additional Support