Explore & discover

Helpful Links

Disappointed that Direct TV has no complaint department with actual humans.

I was advised by a nice gentleman named Ernest (customer loyalty department) that Direct TV has no complaint department where I can speak with a human being about my concerns.  First, company policy places time limits on customer loyalty incentives - strange policy which requires to read the fine print on each bill and then perform a dance every six months to reinstate when the intention should simply be to keep longstanding customers on board.  Second, is that Direct TV will not pro-rate on a current billing cycle.  My example is stopping HBO mid-cycle.  I must pay direct TV for service which I have cancelled, then be credited in the following billing cycle.  I was told that there was no possible way to credit an existing bill prior to payment even though I have had this done several times before.  Third, I was advised that DirectTV has also changed their policy about pro-rating bills for cancelled service.  If you truly are the best service provider, become your own competition and be even better for your customer rather than worse.  Lastly, issuing a complaint or concern should be easy over the phone.  Other service providing companies have held onto that important connection with their customers.  Human to human still works if you let it.  I feel disappointed in being a customer of Direct TV - they missed an opportunity to be better.

Message 1 of 20
ACE - Expert

Re: Disappointed that Direct TV has no complaint department with actual humans.

Many companies do not have a "complaint department" in their call centers, as that encompasses all of customer care. So they don't have a specific department, as all agents should be able to note complaints.

Yes the Terms of Service regarding prorated billing changed. Notice was a couple months ago with starting a few days ago. I saved my email for reference:

"Please read this if you receive DIRECTV and/or AT&T Fixed Wireless service(s). We want to remind you that you’re billed in advance for recurring service(s) and/or programming charges and applicable fees based on the terms of your current service agreement(s) with us. Starting January 14, 2019, subject to applicable laws, we’re updating your agreement(s) to include your recurring service(s)/programming charges and fees won’t be prorated if you cancel the above service(s) on any day other than the last day of your billing cycle. Your service(s) will continue until the end of your billing cycle but you won’t get a refund (prorated credits) for any remaining days left in your billing cycle. For products not listed above, refer to their terms of service for more information.

Questions about this change? Go to att.com/ProrationPolicy for more information and to see the revised section of your service agreement(s). "

Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 2 of 20
Contributor

I had scheduled an upgrade for my direct tv boxes and while the person came to install the new equipment, he also came accompanied by TWO at&t wireless sales representatives. People please beware! They not only try to get you to activate your service with at&t when you call direct tv or by e-mail but they now invade your home! How dare they after I said no numerous times. I scheduled a service NOTHING else. Horrible! 

Message 3 of 20

Yes, and many successful companies do have human complaint departments. Many successful companies pro-rate billing upon cancellation of service. The issue is that Direct TV joined the herd of those that do not. I expected more from them, that was apparently my mistake. I now have come to expect less. If that was the goal - mission accomplished.
Message 4 of 20
ACE - Expert

DirecTV is a nationwide service with millions of customers. More efficient for them to have agents who can make changes on the account, discuss billing and equipment, and take notes of complaints as needed. That is how DirecTV has been since the beginning.

Prorated billing as mentioned was a recent change. From my own experience working for other companies, and personally discussing with friends, many people do not (and too many will not) understand how prorated billing works. So this change to remove at the end of the billing cycle would simplify the bill for customers so they don't have to call back complaining because the adjusted credits and charges (such as going from a 3 pack of premium channels to a 2 pack) do not make sense to them. Personally I do not like this change as I actually read my bill and comprehend it, but I can see why from a business perspective they would make that change.

As for the earlier statement of time limits on loyalty incentives and doing a dance every 6 months, that is another matter. Incentives are a temporary perk, never intended to be permanent. If by this you are referring to the cost of your bill, then you need to take a hard look at what you use. Discounts should never be relied on to afford the bill. If the normal cost is out of budget, then review the channels you watch and adjust your services accordingly (some channels are in lower costing options then they used to be). Remove optional services as needed. You can always increase services later if you desire to. If you can't afford it without discounts, you can't afford it.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 5 of 20

A comforting apologist for the corporate line doesn't really warm my heart as a customer.  What would be comforting is knowing that there is validity to my concern and a way to express them to the machine through a human interaction with a company representative.  Suggestions that loyalty discount expectations in some way mean that a customer must be simply over their skis on bills is laughable commentary.  This will be my last post in this forum which I have already found to be a waste of time and energy.  Direct TV is apparently not interested in direct customer feedback unless it matches the corporate line - very sad indeed.  I will yield to the corporate warriors.  Peace be with you.

Message 6 of 20
ACE - Expert

This is a customer to customer forum, you have to call/chat with DTV to voice your complaint.

Message 7 of 20
ACE - Expert

@Disapp01nted

Sorry, not a "comforting apologist for the corporate line". I am just a customer.

As stated I do not like the move to changes only take affect at end of cycle, instead of whenever you call in to make them. But I am able to see why they might make this business decision for the masses, even if it not the best for me personally.

And correct you should just expect discounts. They are a nice perk when they are there, but it is a temporary bonus. My point stands. If you cannot afford the service without discounts, then you simply cannot afford it and should make changes to your service like a responsible individual.

Message 8 of 20
Contributor

When you call the loyalty department is it in the United States or the Philippians? I just had the worst customer service experience I have ever had in my life when dealing with the reps in the Philippians. I was on hold for 30 minutes. All I was trying to do was return damaged equipment they sent me. They insisted that I drop it off at the Fedex or UPS store. I said that since they sent me damaged equipment they should send a UPS or FedEx truck to pick it up for return. The rep said no. I asked to speak to a manager and waited another 30 minutes on hold. I was told very rudely by a MANAGER that they could not help me and then they hung up on me. I couldn't believe it! I tried chat. I worked with a lady for another half hour.  She then said I needed to drop it off at UPS or FedEx. I told her that at the beginning of the chat I wanted it picked up. Hsad I wasted another half hour for nothing? She then transferred me to another rep with zero warning. The new rep said that since I was not agreeable to following their directions he would not help me. I asked him if he was joking. I told him I was a technical support rep for IBM out of college and would have been fired for saying something like that. He then disconnected the chat. Un-freaking believable!!!!

Message 9 of 20
ACE - Expert

They can't do that, the receivers have to be scanned into the system along with your account info and there is no way for the driver to do that.

Message 10 of 20

I’m not sure where the loyalty department is located. I actually had a nice representative who nicely advised me that there is no way to address or even formally report my concern. He directed me to their website, where the best you can do is join the merry-go-round customer discussion forum. There, corporate loyalists let you know that you as the customer are wrong and should be thankful things aren’t worse.

With your situation I think I would toss the equipment in the trash. If they call looking for it, tell them sorry but there is nothing I can do. That seems to work for them.
Message 11 of 20
ACE - Expert

@zohbeee

DirecTV has never arranged for pickup as that is not how the return process works. Yes they used to ship you a return kit, but over a year ago they now have you go to a participating FedEx or UPS (not USPS) location for your free return. Do NOT follow the instruction by @Disapp01nted to throw away the box as that would result in a non-return fee (NRF). Don't let his bitterness cause problems for your account. If it reaches a point where the box becomes a non-returnable model, then recycle the box of course (without the access card).

Message 12 of 20

It’s interesting that you are concluding that seeking a loyalty discount must indicate financial troubles. You have been taught well grasshopper. You must not even clip coupons when paying full price is an option. Otherwise people might think you can’t afford to eat.
Message 13 of 20
Highlighted
ACE - Expert

Seeking a loyalty discount is fine. Expecting one because you cannot afford the service, or because you feel entitled to always getting a discount, is wrong. Discounts should not be expected all the time. DirecTV is different from businesses with material goods that use coupons, so not a fair comparison.

Sorry but unlike others I don't care how other people might perceive me if I clip coupons or not. I grew up in a much lower financial situation and my parents strived hard to cover costs. No pay TV, no dishwasher, limited electric for a few lights (heat was a wood stove). Now I am glad I have reached a point where I don't have to rely on coupons, though use them on occasion if a good deal matches up but certainly don't fret about it. But I would never lower myself to begging or demanding a discount, especially for an optional entertainment service.

Grasshopper huh? Financially mature I may be, but I certainly did not learn it from Kwai Chang Caine or any others in his famous family line.

Message 14 of 20

You’re right Juniper. I will hush and do exactly what the nice company tells me to do. When policy changes again, I will obey each new instruction and avoid voicing any opposing view. Thank you for gently tapping me back in line.
Message 15 of 20
Share this topic
Share this topic
Additional Support