Explore & discover

Helpful Links

Disappointed in direct tv

Highlighted

Disappointed in direct tv

I have been a customer since 2004 that's 14 years passing an average of 200 dollars per month that's 33,000 dollars ive paid yall I just for a 4k tv and wanted to enjoy the 4k picture but when I called ya'll I was told I wasn't eligible for free upgrade I would have to purchase the equipment or add the protection plan and wait 30 days then I could upgrade I chose the protection plan but now I think about that's just not good business with me being such a loyal customer I would think yall would give me the upgrade now in order to keep my business I have been contacted numerous times by dish network and have always chose to be loyal to yall even though the offer cheaper monthly bills and better equipment I think I will be reconsidering the offer thank you for the many years of service

Message 1 of 11
ACE - Master

Re: Disappointed in direct tv

dish does not offer any full time 4k channels atm, actually no one does except directv

but its widely known that free upgrades only come with the protection plan

you can try calling back, say cancel at the prompt

this will get you the loyalty department, they have more leeway

note: any upgrade will come with a 2 year contract

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Anything below the is a signature :
Note: This is a customer to customer forum, I am just a customer. Employees are identified as such.
Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 2 of 11
ACE - Expert

Free upgrades are not only with the protection plan. The difference is that the protection plan gives a guaranteed time when you are qualified. I have had several upgrades over the years without the protection plan that I did not pay for. If your account has been in good standing, and at least 2 active years since your last upgrade/additional equipment, then normally it would be expected to have a free upgrade available.

Some people like the 2 channels in 4K (actual 4K, not "upscaled" like some other providers do). But depending on your existing setup you might have to sacrifice capability to get them. What are the model numbers of each box you have now? Is the 4K TV replacing a TV already on the service or is it adding another one?

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 3 of 11

I have the standard genie now just upgraded my tv to 4k and wanting to experience the 4k pic
Message 4 of 11
ACE - Master

what model genie?

what model mini?

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Note: This is a customer to customer forum, I am just a customer. Employees are identified as such.
Message 5 of 11
ACE - Expert

@Fishmasterone wrote:
I have the standard genie now just upgraded my tv to 4k and wanting to experience the 4k pic

Models please, there are key differences. Do you have the HR34, HR44, H44, or HR54?

Do you have any other TVs? If so what are the models of those boxes?

Message 6 of 11

Hr54
Message 7 of 11
ACE - Master

what other box

hr54 can feed 4k to a c61k mini

Message 8 of 11

C4 mini
Message 9 of 11
ACE - Master

there is no c4, there is a wired c41 and wireless c41w

if its a c41, just replace it with a c61k, they are $99 at solid signal

and it will give 4k to the tv its hooked to

Message 10 of 11
ACE - Expert
Solution
Accepted by topic author
Accepted by Fishmasterone
‎10-01-2018 11:19 AM

Ok you have the 3rd generation Genie (HR54), and either a C41 or C41W (special wireless model) for the Mini Genie Client (C4 is not the entire model number). So you can keep your model of Genie, but need to replace the Mini Genie Client. You have a couple upgrade options.

1. Upgrade the Mini Genie to 4K service which will get the C61K. The C61K will go on the 4K TV itself and the HR54 goes on the non-4K TV. Reason is 4K requires HDMI 2.0, but that requirement updated when the HR54 was too far into production so though it can connect to a 4K TV, it doesn't have the newer version of HDMI built in so has to go through the Client connection. This will gain 2 channels in 4K (plus a PPV channel).

2. Upgrade Mini Genie to a HDDVR. Instead of 4K you gain 2 tuners, 500GB recording space, independent processing which takes load of the Genie and can still work even if ever the Genie doesn't.

Neither option changes the cost of your monthly bill. Both are upgrades to your exact setup, without any sacrifice of capability like some others experience (unless you have the C41W as neither option is wireless). Up to you if the couple 4K channels, or more hardware capability is more important to you. Both options being an upgrade do come with a 24 month agreement from the day of install/activation of the new box.

For reference on the 4K upgrade:

HR54 Genie on non 4K tv (Can connect to a 4K tv, but will not provide the 4K feed to it).

C61K Mini Genie Client (wired only at this time) on 4K tv.

Remember Client has no tuner of its own, uses 1 from the Genie.

4K tv must support HDCP 2.2, HDMI 2.0, and 60fps (frames per second)

Directv Installation, 4K tv must be there

Package Select or above as of 12/15/2016 (used to be only Ultimate or Premier). So only the Family package will not get 4K service at all.

At this time there are only three 4K channels. 1 regular, 1 select sporting events, 1 PPV.

Even if you have multiple C61K or RVU clients, only one tv can be using a 4K channel at a time.

If agent offers upgrade to Genie-2 (HS17), say no. System is still a bit buggy, replaces your HR54 (losing what you had already recorded), and forbids HDDVRs from being on the account which is restrictive plus allowing Clients only means you have 3 boxes wired in for your 2 TV setup as it sits by itself as a server tower not connected to a TV.

Tags (1)
Message 11 of 11
Share this topic
Share this topic
Additional Support