Explore & discover

Helpful Links

Are you impacted by the government shutdown? We’re here to help.  Learn more 

Directv monthly bill doubled

Highlighted
Contributor

Directv monthly bill doubled

Our monthly Directv doubled after first year was up.  They did not reach out in any way.   What can be done other than canceling and going with Cox Cable or Dish Network?

Thanks,

Tom and Ondrea 

[Edited for privacy-This is a public forum. Please do not post personal or unique information such as but not limited to full names, employee ID numbers, email addresses, phone numbers, account numbers, etc.]

Message 1 of 16
Scholar

Re: Directv monthly bill doubled

First of all you are in the wrong  forum.    But to answer your question.  You probably got an introductory rate for the first year.   But they probably made you sign a 2 year contract.  Which means if you try to cancel now they will bill you for the next year anyway.   All you can really do is keep using them and paying them until your contract expires and then cancel.  Keep in mind you can't make any changes to your account, like getting new equipment during that time.  If you do, they will automaticly up your contract another 2 years.   Their methodology reminds me of the "old company store Paradigm", where you never get out of debt.   Keep in mind that you are dealing with a deceptive predatory company.  The best thing you can do is not get involved with them in the first place.  But then again you are learning an important life lesson.

Try re-posting in the Direct TV Satellite service forum.   This one is for their Over the Top internet TV service "Direct TV Now".   Which by the way currently has a lot of problems, but I am hopeful they will work them out.    Maybe about the time your satellite contract expires.   At which point you can switch to it.  Unlike the satellite service, you can actually cancel at any time.

Welcome to the Future of Television!

Message 2 of 16
ACE - Expert

@OndreaTom wrote:

Our monthly Directv doubled after first year was up.  They did not reach out in any way.   What can be done other than canceling and going with Cox Cable or Dish Network?

I could be mistaken, but I'd guess you bill didn't go up. I'd think you stopped getting a discount.

Check your bill compare two months bills, did some of the line items go up or did a discount disappear?

If so, your rate isn't going up and therefore no reason to notify.

I'd say you commited to a 2 year contract with DirecTV, I think it's always 2 years.

I know the offers I've looked at appear to be a deal for 2 years, were you late for any payments (that can mess up some discounts)?

• Rember the Golden Rule: Treat others how you would like to be treated.
  • Just because my answer does not solve your issue (or agree with you), it may still be correct information...
  • Stating a fact about how something works, is NOT taking sides, it's just stating a fact...
  • Information provided might not be for "you" only, it might be clarification for other community members.
  • This is the public AT&T Community Forum (not AT&T support), please do not post personal info.
  • When provided an answer, please click "Accept solution" which helps other people to find an answer more quickly.
The (very) fine print - This footer is at the bottom of all my posts, its particulars may, or may not, apply to you & your post.
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 3 of 16
ACE - Expert
Solution
Accepted by Employee (Employee)
Accepted by DTV_Assist25
‎01-22-2017 9:10 AM

1. Monthly bill doubling after 1st year was up: Most introductory offers are for the 1st year of service only. This is listed on the order confirmation you were sent when order was placed. Also this info is clearly listed on the monthly bill (i.e. $27 off for 12 months, 3 of 12). Yes starting service comes with a 24 month agreement to keep Directv because of the work and equipment provided to get you installed.

2. @TimTeriffic is incorrect. Directv does not automatically renew you agreement for any changes. If you choose to do an equipment upgrade that specifically comes with a 24 month agreement. In rare cases you might be offered a 12 or 24 month discount (as I have a couple times) which comes with an agreement to keep their service for the same time. Equipment upgrades and discount offers are optional. And just like with start of service, if you accept the offer you get emailed a copy about the upgrade or discount for your records. You can make changes to your account (programming, deactivating equipment, warenty replacing equipment) that does NOT affect your agreement. So intro install, equipment upgrades (adding additional tvs counts), select discount offers, and move order are what would affect the agreement.

3. Directv, and realistically any company, would have no reason to reach out to you to remind you that your discounts are completing. You got the order confirmation, your monthly bill lists the countdown, and there is a section about what changed since last month. So the expectation is the that the customer has the ability to read and manage their finances like an adult.

4. Changing companies would not change the fact that no company wants to call their customers for information that is listed in every monthly bill they receive. Dish in particular has more and higher one time costs then others, like charging $20 to change programming, or increasing the per tv charge if it is not a basic receiver that cannot record ($10 - $17 per box depending which level of equipment). Directv billing is straightforward where you have the account services, and then just $7 for each additional tv to use the services. I reference the residential agreement on Dish's website (pg 14) for that price info.

So bottom line you got a discount for the 1st year, assuming for some of their higher package options, for you to find out what options on the service you truly use and to thank you for starting Driectv (most companies have a "welcome basket" of some sort). Now since the regular pricing (or close to if you had a small discount that continued into the 2nd year) has started, you can call customer servcie and discuss. It may be time for a package change if you don't watch the channels in the higher options, or the channels you do aren't worth the price difference of a lower costing package.

We are customers like yourself so cannot look into your specific options. Support can be reached here: Contact DIRECTV

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 4 of 16
Scholar

Message 5 of 16
ACE - Expert

@TimTeriffic You said ATT extends the 2 year contract for "any changes to your account during that time". That implies changes to programming which is not true.

Message 6 of 16
Employee

@TimTeriffic He was referring to your statement: "Keep in mind you can't make any changes to your account during that time.  If you do, they will automaticly up your contract another 2 years." That statement is completely false. You CAN make changes to your package, you CAN deactivate receivers on the account that you no longer want, you CAN add on or remove the protection plan. BUT, if you are referring to equipment upgrades, then you are 100% accurate, those will come with a 1 - 2 year agreement. 

Employee Contributor*
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 7 of 16
Employee

@TimTeriffic Regardless if your post was meant to "funny" or just being sarcastic. There was no truth to the statement. Also:  "I have known people who have had their contracts started over, just because they ordered a new remote." Again, 100% completely false. Whatever you were told or heard is incorrect. I guarantee you there was more to it then just ordering a remote control. Remotes don't come with a contract. Never has, and never will. Heck even if you pay for the remote, there is STILL no contract. And if by some highly unlikely chance that a customer was put into an agreement for a remote control for some reason, then that customer should call in and get the agreement removed.

Employee Contributor*
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 8 of 16
ACE - Expert

I see there had been a miscomunication from my prior post. To clear it up, I was saying you can make changes to your account at any time. Not everything renews an agreement, only specific situations: Move, equipment upgrade, some select discounts specials, and of course the initial one when you start the account. Changing programming, deactivating equipment, warenty replacements, new remotes, etc. do not affect the agreement. And I definately wasn't being an apologist, as there was nothing to apologize for. I was merely explaining that all the information is provided in a very transparent manner so it is up to us (the customer) on what we do with it.

Now I did have a friend who had a tech on site who addition to some cabling repair, swapped out a malfunctioning receiver. The tech must have checked the wrong box or such on his handheld as the receiver was activated as an upgrade, not the warenty replacement it was, so it in error showed an agreement update. But that was cleared up rather easily as Directv confirmed no upgrade order and was a like for like model with a repair service call, everything showing warenty replacement. So human error can be a factor, but you would not be stuck with an incorrect agreement.

Message 9 of 16
Employee

test....

Employee Contributor*
Message 10 of 16

I made changes in my acc. 6-03-18. check it out.

Message 11 of 16

One more time, check your records I made changes with one of your staff members!

Message 12 of 16

Hear this wise guy, your information is in error, I have paper work.

Message 13 of 16
ACE - Expert

@bigdogsonny

Nobody here has access to your account or knows who you are. This is a customer to customer forum, not Directv support. Any employees who post here do so on their own personal time (off the clock).

As previously discussed, you can make changes to your account at any time. Only certain changes come with an agreement. Not everything comes with a new agreement.

And you are posting to a discussion that completed January 2017 so getting close to 2 years ago. If you have any issues or questions, I suggest starting your own thread instead of digging up a very old one.

Message 14 of 16

Well thank you Juniper, posting my picture, enough said!

Message 15 of 16
Share this topic
Share this topic
Additional Support