Explore & discover

Helpful Links

Direct tv equiptment scam

Tutor

Direct tv equiptment scam

I have two receivers and have since 2010 . Direct TV e-mailed me and phoned me telling me I had to upgrade my receivers or I would loose my local channels so I scheduled an appointment .

Ever since the technicians visit, my account shows that I have four receivers total instead of the two I actually have . I can not seem to clear this up ! Talking to customer service they told me that two of the receivers have the same ID numbers . It seems to me that ought to tell them their information is suspect . When I called to try and point out their error they did not believe me and treated me like I was trying to steal their equipment . I believe Direct TV AT&T has a terrible inventory control policy and worst yet there my exit employee mishandling or misplacement or  failure in recording of equipment ! 

Message 1 of 6
ACE - Expert

Re: Direct tv equiptment scam

Receivers can have the same model number, but not the same Receiver ID (RID) or access card number. Mini Genie Clients have no RID of their own (not receiver themselves) so share the RID of the main Genie.

What are the models replaced and what did you receive?

Do you still have the two old boxes?

Should just be a matter of deactivating the old boxes. You can't steal the old ones even if leased, because if they require replacing (MPEG swap) then they are not returnable in the 1st place.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(Included after every post)
I am a customer, not an employee. This is a public forum.
For official support call DirecTV 1-800-531-5000 or AT&T 1-800-288-2020.
Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 2 of 6
Tutor

One original receiver is a HD model H24-100 I have had since October of 2010 . The other is a SD model D12-100 I have had for the same length of time . On the bottom of each unit the receiver ID numbers are different , but in Direct TV AT&T computer it shows they have the same ID number . Now I have just replaced the SD receiver with a new HD receiver . However in DIRECT TV AT&T computer still shows I have four units instead of just two .I have never had four receivers . So if I deactivate the old SD receiver their computer will show I have three receivers when in actuality I have only ever had but two . If I deactivate the old SD receiver that the technician took with him that has the same ID as the HD receiver I still have, will they deactivate my original HD receiver because the computer does not know the correct ID as shown on the bottom of the original HD receiver ? How do I get DIRECT TV AT&T to correct their error ? If they request that I send back a receiver, I only have two receivers, my original old HD H24-100  and my new HD HD24-200 that has replaced the old and only SD D12-100  I have ever had , that the technician took with him . I do not have any Genie receivers or boxes or paperwork . How do I get this corrected ! Phone calls do not work I have tried on multiple occasions and they act as if I am lying to them or trying to defraud them. I would cancel my subscription with them , but I suppose they would expect me to send the four receivers or three receivers at best that I am not in possession of . I only have two and have always only had two . Help please ! #- Please type your reply above this line -## 
Message 3 of 6
Tutor

One original receiver is a HD model H24-100 I have had since October of 2010 . The other is a SD model D12-100 I have had for the same length of time . On the bottom of each unit the receiver ID numbers are different , but in Direct TV AT&T computer it shows they have the same ID number . Now I have just replaced the SD receiver with a new HD receiver . However in DIRECT TV AT&T computer still shows I have four units instead of just two .I have never had four receivers . So if I deactivate the old SD receiver their computer will show I have three receivers when in actuality I have only ever had but two . If I deactivate the old SD receiver that the technician took with him that has the same ID as the HD receiver I still have, will they deactivate my original HD receiver because the computer does not know the correct ID as shown on the bottom of the original HD receiver ? How do I get DIRECT TV AT&T to correct their error ? If they request that I send back a receiver, I only have two receivers, my original old HD H24-100  and my new HD HD24-200 that has replaced the old and only SD D12-100  I have ever had , that the technician took with him . I do not have any Genie receivers or boxes or paperwork . How do I get this corrected ! Phone calls do not work I have tried on multiple occasions and they act as if I am lying to them or trying to defraud them. I would cancel my subscription with them , but I suppose they would expect me to send the four receivers or three receivers at best that I am not in possession of . I only have two and have always only had two . Help please ! 

Message 4 of 6
ACE - Expert
Solution
Accepted by topic author
Accepted by Smokes96
‎05-10-2019 5:11 AM

The D12 is the last MPEG-2 basic receiver made, so definitely needed replacing. All models beginning with H are fine. Models would be H24 or HR24, not HD24.

Sounds like someone manually updated a RID. However their system will reflect the access card as that is what authorizes the services to the box (which the system cannot have multiple copies active, and very likely the serial number as well. They can use this info to determine which is the correct box and deactivate the duplicate RID of it. If the additional model shows H24 or HR24 that should be easy as the only returnable model that is not a Genie is the H25 (because it is SWM only like all Genies). They are clearing stock of older models with this MPEG swap, but the H24 and HR24 are fine models.

Call DirecTV 1-800-531-5000 and when you get the voice system say "cancel" as their retention/cancellation department is normally very experienced agents to clear up the more odd situations.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(Included after every post)
I am a customer, not an employee. This is a public forum.
For official support call DirecTV 1-800-531-5000 or AT&T 1-800-288-2020.
Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Tags (1)
Message 5 of 6
Highlighted
Tutor

Thank you , I will try you solution .

Message 6 of 6
Share this topic
Share this topic
Learn to manage your DIRECTV account in myAT&T. View help managing DIRECTV in myAT&T!
Announcements

If your DIRECTV account has recently moved into myAT&T, let us help you manage your DIRECTV account in myAT&T.

Additional Support