Explore & discover

Helpful Links

Direct TV

Highlighted
Contributor

Direct TV

Why does ATT have different cancelation guidelines. I cancel my service on 4-4-12. Telephone and internet shows a credit. Direct TV wants me to pay the entire bill from 4-2 to 5-1 even though service was discontinued and all equipment returned. They responded to request and asked for the equipment to be returned on 4/5/12.

Message 1 of 8
ACE - Expert

Re: Direct TV

DTV changed the prorate policy in January to you pay and receive service until the end of the billing cycle.  While AT&T owns DTV they are still separate companies with there own rules.

Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 2 of 8
Contributor

This is America you can not force people to pay for service not used. I will not pay and make sure everyone is aware of your policy.

[Third party link removed per Guidelines]

Message 3 of 8
ACE - Expert

You are suppose to get service until the end of the billing cycle.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 4 of 8
ACE - Expert
Solution
Accepted by ACE - Expert (ACE - Expert)
Accepted by litzdog911
‎05-14-2019 7:41 PM

@12345678j wrote:

This is America you can not force people to pay for service not used. I will not pay and make sure everyone is aware of your policy.

Yelling "This is America.." does not change that this is allowed by the current rules/laws. However service is supposed to stay on until the end of the billing month that you are paying for. So if it turns off early in their system that is an issue. However if you choose not to use the remaining days of your service month, then that is up to you.

Here is the terms of service notice that was sent November 2018 about the new cancellation policy that started January 2019:

Please read this if you receive DIRECTV and/or AT&T Fixed Wireless service(s). We want to remind you that you’re billed in advance for recurring service(s) and/or programming charges and applicable fees based on the terms of your current service agreement(s) with us. Starting January 14, 2019, subject to applicable laws, we’re updating your agreement(s) to include your recurring service(s)/programming charges and fees won’t be prorated if you cancel the above service(s) on any day other than the last day of your billing cycle. Your service(s) will continue until the end of your billing cycle but you won’t get a refund (prorated credits) for any remaining days left in your billing cycle. For products not listed above, refer to their terms of service for more information.

Questions about this change? Go to att.com/ProrationPolicy for more information and to see the revised section of your service agreement(s).

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(Included after every post)
I am a customer, not an employee. This is a public forum.
For official support call DirecTV 1-800-531-5000 or AT&T 1-800-288-2020.
Tags (1)
Message 5 of 8
Contributor

you can not use their service when you switch to another provider.Plus how can you use them when they say if they do not receive the equipment within 21 days they charge you for every piece of equipment. not received. Also ask the question can they say they install a new customer on the exact date. The answer is no. When I switch to them it did not happen..

Message 6 of 8
ACE - Expert

JUst FYI I believe Spectrum have the same policy

Message 7 of 8
ACE - Expert

@12345678j wrote:

you can not use their service when you switch to another provider.Plus how can you use them when they say if they do not receive the equipment within 21 days they charge you for every piece of equipment. not received. Also ask the question can they say they install a new customer on the exact date. The answer is no. When I switch to them it did not happen..

Technically you could use multiple service providers as they each use their own equipment attached to the TV, though it wouldn't be recommended (except for complimenting a traditional TV provider with a streaming provider) as it would be a monstrous install.

The 21 days to return equipment is from your last day the account is active, which is supposed to be through the end of your service month. So the return time frame is not an issue with using the service unless it was shut off early, going against their own cancellation policy.

Switching providers doesn't by default guarantee that you can have install of new service on last day of new one (or the following day) so that you have TV service every single day. If they have a tech available in that time frame, then great. If needed accept the install window that may be a few days later so that you don't pay for overlapping services. You can survive a little while without TV.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(Included after every post)
I am a customer, not an employee. This is a public forum.
For official support call DirecTV 1-800-531-5000 or AT&T 1-800-288-2020.
Message 8 of 8
Share this topic
Share this topic
Announcements

If your DIRECTV account has recently moved into myAT&T, let us help you manage your DIRECTV account in myAT&T.

Additional Support