Explore & discover

Helpful Links

DirecTV service and subscrition

Contributor

DirecTV service and subscrition

As a long time DirecTV customer, I recall that one pays for their subscription ahead of time. For instance when I receive my bill on the 11th or thereabouts and it needs to be paid by the 28th, when I pay it on the 28th, that payment is for the next month, not the one that just ended. Correct? The reason I ask is when my wife decided she wanted to "cut the cord" with them, I has just paid for the next month(I thought) and so when I asked to cancel it, they said I had till the 8th to run out the existing subscription. I let them know I had paid and would I get a refund of that payment? They said " as soon as we receive the leased equipment back they'll send your refund and you should have it within 7-10 business days. Well it's been months and during that time I have talked to 3 or 4 reps, the first three all saying essentially the same thing assuring me my refund would be here in now, "3-5" business days. No, not yet...so I called again. This time they're telling me something totally opposite of the other folks. That when I made my payment it was for the month that had just past. I am pretty sure they don't run on the promise you'll pay after you receive their service model. Somebody out there offer some wisdom please?

Message 1 of 6
Contributor

Re: DirecTV service and subscrition

It has now been over 4 months. Makes one feel like a truly valued and appreciated kinda guy. They want theirs AHEAD of time...it's been 4 months and I still don't have what's rightfully mine and I have done everything I was asked to do. I can't listen to any more lies so I will contact the local news station and ask them to look into it. Classic "Golden Ruler" scenario. Whoever has the gold makes the rules. Shame on you AT&T. Shame on you. 

Message 2 of 6
ACE - Expert

Bill cycle day 1 is same as your activation date.

Day 2 bill produces.

Listed due date is day 20, but as long as bill paid (posted to account) before cycle starts over (the next day 1) then no late fee.

So when you pay on the due of the 28th, that is not for next month. That is day 20 of your current cycle (i.e. November 8 thru December 7).

Returning equipment has nothing to do with a refund unless you were charged a non-return fee (NRF). (21 days from your last day of service to have equipment back in DirecTV's possession). If you haven't gotten a NRF then boxes weren't returnable. To be sure, what are the models that you still have?

Within a few days from your last day of service you would have received your final bill showing if a refund was due (such as cancelling a few days before your cycle ended but you had already paid) or balance owed (such as if time remaining on a service agreement resulting in an early cancellation fee), or in the rare case you ended right on the end of cycle with no ECF resulting in a $0 balance.

To discuss your bill status you will need to call DirecTV 1-800-531-5000. Though many of us are experienced with how the service and equipment works, being customers ourselves we have no access to accounts.

Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 3 of 6
Contributor

Thank you for your reply and explanation. So from what you've said,
DirecTV/ AT&T activates our subscription on the honor system. No charges
upfront and on the promise that the "new subscriber" or "loyal and valued
client" will pay for the service AFTER receiving it.
So, if I was a "bad guy", I could take advantage by activating the service
and then simply not pay until it was shut off, the only thing I would have
to expect would be the collection efforts. Is that correct?
Just doesn't seem like good business to offer the service prior to payment.
You'll have to forgive my skepticism after talking to 3 customer service
reps who assured me that the payment I made that actually posted a day late
was in fact monies that were to insure programming for the next month.
People who were looking at my account, reading the notes and adding to
them, 3 of them telling me I had the refund coming....even all 3 with the
amount, the same amount I paid
After one hears that from 3 different people all saying the same thing,
until, oh look...now I am in a different year....2018 has already been
reconciled.
Well it's of no matter anymore to me. I feel slighted and like I have been
violated. I will do my level best to see that I don't give AT&T another
cent of my money. It was only a couple hundred bucks, an expensive lesson
in trust. But I guess, that's America anymore. Power to the wealthiest
"people" (Corporations) Ha. Ludicrous.
Message 4 of 6
ACE - Expert

That is why they run a credit check before they install it, you don't pay your bills then they will not open an account.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 5 of 6
ACE - Expert
Solution
Accepted by topic author
Accepted by GullableGuy
‎03-09-2019 4:56 PM

DirecTV bills at start of billing month s it is service based. Other services like cell phone are usage based so you don't get the bill produced until after the bill month ends in case there is overage (minutes/messages/data).

So the bill is produced day 2, which would be the day after it is activated. If you have automatic bill pay with a credit card it goes through day 2 as well. So DirecTV bills at the start of your billing month instead of after it has completed.

Not so much honor based as most providers will bill for what you have used or currently using as is the case with DirecTV.

I would call DirecTV back and confirm your current balance. Have them check the normal final bill and see if there were any changes after it (such as refund sent if you had a credit balance).

Tags (1)
Message 6 of 6
Share this topic
Share this topic
Additional Support