Explore & discover

Helpful Links

DirecTV NHL Center Ice not renewed and Directv retaliating and sabotaging sports channels games on

Highlighted
Contributor

DirecTV NHL Center Ice not renewed and Directv retaliating and sabotaging sports channels games on

I have the premier package with a sports package added on that gives me each and every sports channel (All Fox Sports Channel, all NBC Sports, etc). 

I have a sports package with my current package with DirecTV in which I have been able to watch hockey on these channels for the last 4 years even though I had NHL Center Ice the past 3 years. I decide not to renew NHL Center Ice this season since all the games were broadcasting on the sports channels anyways and saw it as a waste of money when I can watch with no extra cost per year.  First week of NHL hockey season 2018 had no problems watching and recording hockey games (follow more than one team). After first week, all of a sudden these sports channels I PAY FOR show I no longer have these in my package BUT ONLY WHEN HOCKEY GAMES ARE ON. I can watch pregame show before hockey games start but then POOF the channel shows I no longer have this channel once the actual hockey game starts but then POOF the channel magically comes back once hockey game ends. This is not a blackout message at all because I have had those for NFL games and a few hockey games in the past and what message comes up on the screen which specifically states there is a blackout in my area.  The message on my TV is a "CHANNEL NOT PURCHASED, PLEASE CALL DIRECTV TO ADD CHANNEL TO YOUR CURRENT PACKAGE". 

I have/ called customer service 4 times and technical support 4 times since the issue begin 10/08/2018.  I am told each and every time there is nothing wrong, that I do indeed have the channel and just need to reset my receiver but between me resetting and Directv resetting remotely this has been done 12 times in the past 8 days with ABSOLUTELY NO SUCCESS.  The only thing I keep getting told by customer service and tech support is that if I want to watch hockey games than I will have to order NHL Center Ice.  It does not matter which hockey game I click on I get the same message each and every time.   No other resolution has been offered other than discounting a $13.99 sports package to $3.99 for 6 months or $3.99 for 12 months but only if I sign a contract locking me into another 2 year agreement with them as I currently have no contract with them and can cancel at any time.  I have asked for the NHL Center Ice for free since I feel like I am being retaliated against for not subscribing to NHL Center Ice.   They just repeat over and over if I just order NHL Center Ice then all my problems will be resolved.   They have sent out technicians twice, replaced the dish and even replaced my receivers, but nothing has changed.  Then they tried spewing crap about copyright laws (about recording games and viewing live games) or about blackouts (not the issue).  However when I point out that I have 3 neighbors on my block with DIRECTV that have these exact same sport channels in their various packages they get the games just fine (none have every had NHL Center Ice).  While most of these customer service people go silent immediately with no explanation attempted on why other people can watch on their TVs and I cannot, I either get told that I am lying about the other neighbors, told that maybe I just need to go watch the games at their house or get told that I just need to buy the NHL Center Ice package which will magically solve my problems.  In fact, I have been called a liar repeatedly, that what I am telling them that is occurring is made up by me (even though technician viewed a video of the channel working just fine but once hockey game started the channel was unavailable) and to quit contacting them because there is nothing they can do for me since I refuse to fix the problem which is ordering NHL Center Ice at $159.99. Also their DVR is worthless and have had repeated issues for months with things like recorded shows magically disappearing, recorded shows not showing on lists, recorded shows coming back after deleted, having shows randomly deleted even though set to not delete until manually deleted.  These issues with the DVR have apparently been an ongoing since the beginning of the year (2018) with Directv having no idea when they are going to fix it.  Customers just get told repeatedly "we know about the problem, are working on it currently and should have a solution soon."  Not one customer service rep will even give a timeline on when these issues are expected to be fixed.  So yeah I do not have high hopes the DVR issue will ever be resolved.  So I am done with DIRECTV, along with 10 other households (big family), and we will all loudly and proudly tell each and every person we know just how DIRECTV does not care about the customer, it is all about money and to go elsewhere for cable or satellite service.  Never again DIRECTV, never again.

Message 1 of 6
ACE - Expert
Solution
Accepted by ACE - Professor (ACE - Professor)
Accepted by nabukl
‎10-19-2018 8:52 AM

Re: DirecTV NHL Center Ice not renewed and Directv retaliating and sabotaging sports channels games

Professional sports each have their own package and apart from periods of free viewing you need to subscribe to the appropriate package to get that particular sport. So for NHL you need to subscribe to center ice if you want to get games outside your local viewing area . It has always been that way. Subscribing to regional sports packages etc will NOT give you center ice, or NBA, or NFL, or major league baseball.

DirecTV is not sabotaging anything. All professional sports are blacked out on regional sports networks (except for your local games).

I think also you are getting confused by what happens when you have center ice. As well as giving you the games on the center ice channels, the package also removes the blackout on the corresponding regional sports networks. So for example here in DFW if I don't have center ice but I do have the sports network package if I tune into, lets say, NESN I get all the programming except the Red Sox and Bruis. When one of those games comes on I get the message you are seeing. If I have center ice, it allows me to watch the game on NESN.

Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Tags (1)
Message 2 of 6
Contributor

Re: DirecTV NHL Center Ice not renewed and Directv retaliating and sabotaging sports channels games

You obviously did not read a word I wrote because if you did you would
have realized that I am not getting any NHL game on my sporting package
that in previous years I had no problem getting any of the games not
through NHL Center Ice but on regional sporting channels. You would have
also realized that people in my own town or relatives 30 miles away (all
with DirecTV) got the games just fine on the same channels that I have
desperately been trying to watch but get told during the hockey game I
suddenly do not have. I also have no problem watching NFL, college
football and NBA games on these local sporting channels who claim I am not
supposed to be able to watch without getting one of your ridiculously
expensive NHL, NFL or NBA packages. So how do you exactly explain that?
How can these people with these "local sport channels" are able to watch
hockey games on their channels but I am not able to even though we both
subscribe to the same sporting channels. I thought this company actually
cared about their customers but all you want from me is to pay more money
to buy a ridiculous package as that is the only solution I keep getting
from the company. Trust me when I say I have shopped around and found
several different services that will gladly provide me with the package
that will not only save me money but also allow me to watch me the games
that I want. I know I am just one customer, and your company could care
less if I leave and move on to a different company. I am sure you would
prefer I leave DirecTV behind than actually have to come up with a solution
that it not utter nonsense like I keep getting time and time again.
Message 3 of 6
ACE - Expert

we read every word, but you clearly did not read the reply.

Other than games on national channels, the ONLY way to get out of market hockey games is to have center ice. If you have center ice, you also can watch the same games on one of the out-of-market regional sp;orts networks. Whatever you think, no-one can watch those games without center ice (except for periods when the games are free). If you think that there are people out there watching out of market hockey games without center ice, unfortunately you are completely mistaken.

Why would you think having the regional sports network package would get you out of market games? Why do you think the center ice package exists?  Think about it, why would anyone pay for center ice if they can get the same games by just buying the RSN package? When you cancelled center ice, you automatically lost the ability to watch those games on the regional sports channels.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 4 of 6
Contributor

Direct TV and Center ice is Bull!!  Although Dtv rectified "A" issue, there are more issues. If my pkg without center ice gets local sports (eg. TB Lightning on ch653) why if I "pay" for center ice, am I mandated to have TB sportscasters? I've been told "blackout rules", but am I not paying for the "option" to choose whose broadcast to listen to. I am!!  (Eg. Being,) watching the game tonight, on ch 774 (CI channel) TB vs Toronto, the post game... is NEVER shown for ANY other game on Center Ice; but tonight's game the TB post game was on ch 653(local sports network) and was also on ch 774 (center ice ch.). The post game on Ch 774 should have been cut off like they do for all other games. I'm really fed up with it... This is the first yr I've had center ice...and the last. All post games should be available, it's part of the game, just like the pregame.

Message 5 of 6
ACE - Expert

If your game is being broadcast locally, the local channel has the rights and you can't get the opposing team's commentary.  The situation on post game is a bit more confused. In general, post game broadcast is in the hands of the team. Most common is that the "foreign" regional sports network is disconnected from center ice as soon as the game is over.

Message 6 of 6
Share this topic
Share this topic
Additional Support