Explore & discover

Helpful Links

Did everybody see the scam AT&T DirecTV has going?

Contributor

Did everybody see the scam AT&T DirecTV has going?

When I suspend my account, which I have done every winter to my vacation home with DirecTV for the last 12+ years, I was never charged. Now AT&T now charges $7.00 a month for SERVICE. When I called and questioned what service are they providing you could hear crickets. I own my equipment, the Satellite is in space not directly connected by any wires to my house, the electricity is off to the house. So exactly what SERVICE are they providing. Nice Scam charging thousands of customers $7.00 a month for doing absolutely nothing. I have electronic billing so they don't even send me a bill. And what would the bill say - we are doing nothing again this month!! Dish is looking pretty good right about now. 

Message 1 of 6
ACE - Expert

Re: Did everybody see the scam AT&T DirecTV has going?

The $7.00 a month fee is for the guide programing and has been there since DTV started.

Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 2 of 6
ACE - Professor

@shannon02 , the op is referring to the suspension fee which is new 

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 3 of 6
ACE - Expert
Solution
Accepted by ACE - Expert (ACE - Expert)
Accepted by litzdog911
‎04-20-2019 1:45 PM

@shannon02 wrote:

The $7.00 a month fee is for the guide programing and has been there since DTV started.

Not exactly true.

The $7 is for each additional authorized TV on the service while the account is active. That has been there since DirecTV started (though cost has changed over the years).

However, since AT&T took over there is now a suspension cost which is what @zoeysmom7 is referring to. This is not a scam as it was put into their polices that we were notified on when the change happened quite some time ago.

According to https://www.att.com/legal/terms.dtv_feeSchedule.html

Monthly Recurring Fees
Fee Amount When You Pay
TV Access Fee $7.00 Fee for each receiver, Genie Mini, and DIRECTV Ready TV/Device as applicable (see Equipment Lease Agreement for more details)
Vacation Hold Up to $7.00 If you place your Service on vacation hold for 2-6 months
Regional Sports Fee Up to $8.49 (varies by market) The fee for providing access to regional sports networks

Tags (1)
Message 4 of 6
Contributor

Re: Did everybody see the scam AT

I have had DirecTV for over 12 years. This fee is NEW. The account is suspended. There is NO service. DirecTV suspended your account for up to 6 months without ever charging a fee. This is just another way for TV services to collect money for doing nothing, absolutely nothing. ATT is the worst phone service and is now rapidly becoming the worst satellite service as well. I am considering all my options right now but pretty sure I will be saying goodbye. I have Dish at my permanent residence and absolutely love it. So much better than ATT. For a lousy $7.00 a month that they are trying to collect for providing NOTHING is going to cost them a customer. Their customer service is terrible, that is why they are the 3rd in phone service and rapidly will be dead last in satellite as well. Having been a customer of DirecTV and knowing their fees for the last 12+ years, I know how this is just a money grab on ATT’s part.
Message 5 of 6
ACE - Expert

Re: Did everybody see the scam AT

@zoeysmom7 

You and @shannon02  are talking about 2 separate fees as I showed above.

There is the $7 additional TV/Client fee that has been there since DirecTV started.

There is the NEW suspension (vacation hold) cost that AT&T implemented that I showed above. It happens to be the same price of $7 so that is where the confusion came from.

Account in suspension still take resources. They take up system space verifying all items are current to be turned on at any time as not canceled. Also monthly statement (paper or paperless depending on your choice) goes out each month with status. So there are behind the scenes cost. So AT&T decided that a no-cost suspension was not the way to go for a business financially and made the change. Like you I preferred the prior way on this, but it is their right to change it.

Knowing what their fees have been for years does not prove this is simply a "cash grab". When AT&T acquired DirecTV they had to analyze finances and determine what was working and what was not. I can see what a vacation hold charge would come into play, but without being part of it myself I cannot say if it just covers the average cost of accounts in suspension or what it revenue it may still generate above that. Just because you are not receiving channels, doesn't mean they are providing maintenance on the account and systems that hold it on their end, including monthly statements they send out. The existence of a vacation hold fee makes sense, but the real question is if it is at a reasonable cost. Would need a financial analyst to properly answer that question.

Message 6 of 6
Share this topic
Share this topic
Additional Support