Helpful Links

Did AT&T lie to anyone else about Direct TV services?

Highlighted
Tutor

Did AT&T lie to anyone else about Direct TV services?

I am so mad about all the lies that AT&T told me to get me to switch from U-verse TV to Direct TV that I am shutting down all my AT&T services.  My bill is unpaid, but they can sue me. I am happy to counter-claim under consumer protection laws.  It's total fraud.

Message 1 of 52
Scholar

Re: Did AT&T lie to anyone else about Direct TV services?

What were the Lies ?

They probably will NOT sue you,

BUTT they will really work over CREDIT SCORES. 

Look OUT 

Message 2 of 52
Contributor

You are most certainly not the only one.  I switched after being promised $200 in gift cards (which never showed up) and "uninterupted service due to weather," because, you know, the technology "has advanced a lot in the last few years."  I have time to write this, because it's raining outside, so I have no TV to watch.  The switching between channels is slower than tolerable, and the vast channels I now have amount to about 10 channels I actually watch.  As soon as this is gone, I'm done with cable/satellite/u-verse.  When is Fiber available in my area?

Message 3 of 52
Contributor

I agree completely about their lies. I hate Direct TV. Every time there is a storm, I lose service.

Message 4 of 52
Contributor

I recently actually just had an issue with AT&T. I have spent in the past 3 weeks 9 hours on the phone with 17 different agents four of which were supervisors they had wrongfully charged me for a $90 activation fee which was supposed to be waived and then in turn they took it off because they were supposed to and they gave me no credit for my time and hassle for the bull crap that I had to go through and for the fact that they are legally trying to get out of it I asked him to please cancel my account for the way that they have treated me and for the way that they have acted and they said no they can't due to the fact I had an installment plan on my phone I want to know how to go about this
Message 5 of 52
Contributor

Most definitely... I went to the store in charlotte nc it's been 4 months and still haven't gotten the Visa card for 100 dollars... they told me it would be 8 more weeks because att just got the info to them. When I signed up it was 8 weeks after installation... its been 12 now supposedly its 8 more weeks. This man geeeted me at the door said this will be your last stop because we as att own direct tv.... his name is Richard liling retail consultant. He works at 5940 Fairview rd 100 charlotte nc 28210. Just called the number on his business card as he told me to do it went to the main line as if u are trying to order service. I called the cell on the card no answer. I tried again 30 minutes later he answered very irritated told me to call back at a different time because he was busy with clients.....
Message 6 of 52
Contributor

I was lied to about my sunday ticket package for this year and I'm furious. Knowing I couldn't afford it this year I chatted in to request that sunday ticket be removed from my account. Unprompted the rep said that it would be free for me this upcoming season. Knowing that it sounded too good to be true I took a screenshot but it doesn't matter. I chatted and called in and every rep I spoke to didn't care what was said to me before, they couldn't do anything about it. Mind you, I never asked to keep the service, I had every intention of just cancelling it. To top everything off, this is after just resolving an issue that caused me to be overcharged for my service for a year. I genuinely don't think it's possible to be less satisfied with a service than I am with ATT/Directv.  

Message 7 of 52

After being a dedicated and loyal subscriber to AT&T for over 15 years I am in the same boat as many others who have complained and gotten nowhere with customer service!!! This all started a few weeks ago after visiting the local store and being promised by the sales person that DIRECTV, digital home life, and unlimited talk, text, and data plan would solve our business and home needs for all inclusive services. First they couldn't get the scheduling right, then couldn't even install the dish or home security after being promised by the sales person it could be done. For the past 2 weeks it's been talking with a customer service operator on the phone who says "I can't do anything!" Seriously??? All I'm asking to do is cancel my order and refund me my money back for services never rendered or used!!! I have no other alternative but to go back to the store and make a scene during iPhone 7 launch to make my point... wish me luck!
Message 8 of 52
Employee

@AnnoyedAngered why they couldn't install the dish and the securoty?

Employee Contributor*
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 9 of 52
Employee

@peds48 This is just a rant thread, no one here wants any help Smiley Sad

Employee Contributor*
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 10 of 52
Scholar

Agreed.  Their claim of 98% signal reliability is misleading, when the signal will go out 100% of the time there is a severe thunderstorm, disrupting not just TV watching, but also ongoing recordings.  It's not really their fault, since it is a satellite service.  But it's a fact and annoying nonetheless.

I disliked Time Warner Cable for many reasons, but the signal went out maybe twice in six years. 

Message 11 of 52

@lilricky ... yes this is a rant thread cuz no one is willing to help!!! I've tried calling customer service on the phone for 2 hours a day for the past week with no on including supervisor will to take ownership and help the situation where else can customers vent... @ peds48... the first scheduled install was scheduled from 8-12 two weeks again Monday the installer showed up @ 12:45 said that it wasn't his original work order and was told to install lines to 2 tvs. Paperwork clearly stated 3 tvs and he proceeded to say he couldn't do the install and needed to reschedule... half a day wasted and time off of work for me without pay for no reason. 2nd install was scheduled for Friday that same week between 12-4 tech actually came early. Looked at the house and said he couldn't do the install due to line of sight. He stated trees needed to be take down that weren't even on my property. This was a load of crap as I downloaded the satellite locator ap for DIRECTV right onto my phone and it was a clear line of sight with no abstruction at all. Even download another application for a satellite locator and same results. Install never happened and another half a day wasted with me not going to work and making a wage.
Message 12 of 52

Total liars. The three person door to door team quoted me that my "sign-up price" for the combined ATT/Direct account would be "forever". Now I find out that it will almost double after the first year and that I will have to wait for two years to get rid of this abomination. So essentially the upfront 200 dollar gift cards even out the price increases of the two year contract. What a SCAM. Every day brings a new problem. After the merger, my Directv andriod app stopped working and tells me that I am not a customer. Third party apps like SyFy AMC ComedyCentral deny access by telling me that I am not a Directv customer, but if I list ATT u-verse as my TV provider and use my Directv user id and pw, I have access. Yet the ATT u-verse tv app tells me that I am not a customer. Seven chats and 4 password resets and three promises of escalation and no fix and no responses. Now after 6 months the Directv.com watch online site no longer works on my desktop pc. It keeps asking to install the Direct 12.1 player every time I try to watch a program online (IE, Edge, Chrome browsers). Un-intall, re-install, cleared cache, cookies- nothing works. I guess it took 6 months to figure out that I have 64 bit.

My 32 bit tablets work fine. What years is it? You would think that a "cutting edge" tech company could make a 64 bit player. Adobe figured it out. Maybe ATT can send me the player app on a FLOPPY DISK. I used to use the online site to watch my programs when the rains came. Even though I hated Xfinity , at least it worked with third party apps, allowed many more channels for online viewing without extra equipment and then there's the RAIN. What a cluster****.

Message 13 of 52
Tutor

I have had the same issues. Customer service transferred me 6 times over a 2 hour period today due to improper charges on my bill. The Direct TV side blames the ATT side and vice versa. I was quoted a "forever price" that has changed 5 times over the past 5 months and mysteriously keeps going up! I have had to call them EVERY month to discuss the same problems since I agreed to this bundle. They even created and charged me twice for the same DTV service. I paid it on my ATT bundle and am also being charged with a separate account on a DTV bill. I absolutely hate that I chose to belive the word of those who called and harassed me for several months to get a bundle for a price that does not exist. It's not worth the hassle and time to deal with a company that is so disconnected internally. They have not honored their promises from day one.

Message 14 of 52

Originally, I got Directv through Costco before AT&T took over.  They were a wonderful company and worked with me on any changes.  Their pricing remained what is was supposed to for my two year contract.

I had trouble with AT&T when I had phone and dsl internet service.  Their billing is so bad that what you have gone through is what I experienced.  I will never again have AT&T  phone or internet.  I cancelled my service and they were billing me for three months beyond that.  I called and called and called....they finally reversed charges and my balance was zero.  It took many phone calls to achieve that and going to someone beyond the front operators.  They cannot do anything for you.  I think the department is called Retention. I'm sure my blood pressure went up over this time.  During all this I had a heart attack if that says anything.  I'm sure there were other factors but this did not help.  Keep on it....you will finally get help.  If not go to the AT&T local office and get the help of a live person face to face.

With that said, I have had Directv since before AT&T.  I cringed when I heard Directv was bought out by  AT&T.  So far nothing has changed but the haressing emails and messages asking me to connect to the internet; or do I want phone and internet. One hitch in billing and I will switch out of Directv in a heart beat.  I hate AT&T with a passion after my billing debockle with phone and internet.

Again,  DO NOT HAVE AT&T for your phone or internet. 

Now,  Directv's billing has remained fine since AT&T took over.  One problem and I will switch my tv in a nanosecond.

Message 15 of 52
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the DIRECTV Account Board! Check out our helpful articles below and don’t forget to search the forums - your question may have been answered already!

Have a billing concern? Click here to chat with us!

Additional Support