Explore & discover

Helpful Links

DTV ebay promo DTV002841

Contributor

DTV ebay promo DTV002841

recently contacted by person claiming to be from direct tv billing and promotion dept about a direct tv /ebay promotion.  need to purchase $280 up front in ebay gift cards from Walgreen call 888 323 2189 with card number(s)and get premium channel pack for 69.99 per month for 20 months with no bill for next 4 months complete by 8p.m.  and get visa credit card for $150. Pro code DTV002841.  Anyone else getting this?

Message 1 of 55
ACE - Expert

Re: DTV ebay promo DTV002841

@Mic1958 wrote:

I made an earlier post about receiving the same call with the same info.  BUT, I called back the number they gave me and it sounded just like the legitimate ATT/Directv number when it answered.  The music was the same up until the part where ATT looks up your account from the phone you're call from.  The fake ATT number didn't do that step, but when I selected the option to talk to a representative, I was transferred to one with the same same as the scam representative.  I hung up then.  I have requested the ATT fraud department number and will report this there.  The scam is evolving when they do answer the number and seem to have the same music etc. as the real ATT/Directv site. 

You can file a fraud report here ....

https://www.att.com/help/fraud-and-security.html

For official support call DirecTV 1-800-531-5000 or AT&T 1-800-288-2020.
Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 31 of 55
Contributor

I finally got that call and they tried to scam me. Pre pay $330 with an ebay gift card. And i will get a $100 gift card. Code is DTA-4407 and to call Billing.  While on the phone, since it was too good to be true, i looked up the number and i was coming from overseas. So nope cant be Directv, so i did a google search while listening to the deal. And here i found you guys, wow finally someone tried to scam me and i knew better. I needed a good laugh today.

Message 32 of 55
Tutor

That's great!   I like to hear when scams are thwarted by information sharing.  It's sad that so many people who don't know are just taken advantage of.

Kudos

Ryan
Message 33 of 55
Tutor

Oh snap!  That's really a shame their online support don't know the difference either.  Scary!

Message 34 of 55
Tutor

Hopefully, this information is read before any callbacks are made to the numbers THEY provide.

I've known about scams in the past where someone calls you and hangs up...  When the person receiving the call calls back the number they've been charged to their phone bill.  It's almost like your callback is an approval to charge your account.

That being said...  Take a little extra time to research scam information and ONLY make call backs to actual provider numbers published on their websites.  Do NOT make call backs to numbers provided over the phone, email or texts.... 

Message 35 of 55
Contributor

Well I got a text regarding a final offer. I called and accepted the offer. They actually had access to my channels and were able to change them! They gave men authorization code and told me to obtain Ebay prepaid cards and to call a certain # to the billing dept and give them the Auth code. So before purchasing the Ebay card, I called my usual # to Direct TV and they said they had no such promotion! But there was a note on my account stating that I had accepted the changes, I got an email confirming, but my next bill was $247, not the $66.67 they promised. Very very upset with Direct TV. They need to find these hackers!!!

Message 36 of 55
ACE - Expert

Most likely they are in another country so even if found there is nothing the US can do except pass the info to the local law enforcement.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 37 of 55
Contributor

Well, they got me. The thing is that they had my account information.  As a matter of fact, I had just updated my phone number on my  AT&T and DIRECTV account. I am concerned that AT&T and DIRECTV have an internal privacy breach.

There were multiple people talking in the background. They must have some sort of telemarketing hub set up somewhere. Ironically it sounds just like a call center for AT&T. 

Again, they knew my account information, monthly bill about amount and how long we’ve been with AT&T and DIRECTV.  They called my cell phone number and my husbands cell phone number.  

We were told that “ because of our loyalty” There is a special promotion to get our monthly bill lowered to almost half. All we needed to do was to pay for three months of service upfront in the amount of $149 per month. However we need to pay it with a $450 eBay gift card because of a special promotion that AT&T has with eBay. Yes, it sounded very convincing. But then after I paid with the $450 worth of eBay gift cards and they called back to inform me that I got the wrong  type of eBay card and then instructed me to go back out and get a different type of card I realized it was a scam and called AT&T and DIRECTV. The scammers also sent me a text from AT&T and DIRECTV.  Stating the arrangement as well as providing a confirmation number for the promotion.

I am utterly and totally disgusted.  I am out of $450. Someone needs to be held accountable because they had all my account information. AT&T has a problem with their security. And there is a privacy breach.  eBay has an issue because they don’t keep a record of the items that were purchased  using the eBay gift card. The scammers must know that as well.  It’s time for these companies to be held accountable and to put better safety measures in place.

I am going to get my our $450 back somehow. 

Message 38 of 55
Tutor

Let me know how you plan to do this. I even called my attorney general
number, and I filled out a complaint firm. I got a letter confirming, but
after 1 month, I heard nothing
Message 39 of 55
ACE - Expert

@SMVM01 wrote:

.... However we need to pay it with a $450 eBay gift card because of a special promotion that AT&T has with eBay. Yes, it sounded very convincing. But then after I paid with the $450 worth of eBay gift cards and they called back to inform me that I got the wrong  type of eBay card and then instructed me to go back out and get a different type of card I realized it was a scam and called AT&T and DIRECTV. The scammers also sent me a text from AT&T and DIRECTV.  Stating the arrangement as well as providing a confirmation number for the promotion.

It's sad indeed. But no reputable company would have to pay anything upfront using Gift Cards. 

And scammers have a variety of ways to get this information without any AT&T data breach. You would be amazed at what can be purchased on the dark web. 

Message 40 of 55
ACE - Expert

@jen1961 wrote:
Let me know how you plan to do this. I even called my attorney general
number, and I filled out a complaint firm. I got a letter confirming, but
after 1 month, I heard nothing

Let us know how that works out for you.

It's easy to blame AT&T, but you would be amazed at how much information is available about you and your accounts via the dark web.

Message 41 of 55
Tutor

But if they are hacking into the system, since 2017, I might add, then why
arent they accountable?
Message 42 of 55
ACE - Expert

@jen1961 wrote:
But if they are hacking into the system, since 2017, I might add, then why
arent they accountable?

You want to blame a "hack". I'm just pointing out that much of this information is available on the dark web via many other sources, such as dumpster divers getting copies of bills. It's a sad situation indeed. It's really up to us as consumers to realize a scam before we fall for it. Asking for payments via Gift Cards is a sure fire tip off. 

Message 43 of 55
Tutor

We got the same come on but thankfully didn’t do it. It’s awful what they are doing. I went so far as to call Direct TV because my bill had gone up $50. Whoever answered said yeah that legitimate. What? Should have gotten her name!
Message 44 of 55
Contributor

I was just scammed out of $14000 because of this issue. They kept giving me the run around for a week and a half. They had added channels on my account and added credits on my Directv and AT&T accounts. Will be reporting to local authorities and filing an internet complaint form with FTC. I will find a way to get my money back. I am beyond mad!

Message 45 of 55
Share this topic
Share this topic
Announcements

If your DIRECTV account has recently moved into myAT&T, let us help you manage your DIRECTV account in myAT&T.

Additional Support