Explore & discover

Helpful Links

DTV ebay promo DTV002841

Contributor

DTV ebay promo DTV002841

recently contacted by person claiming to be from direct tv billing and promotion dept about a direct tv /ebay promotion.  need to purchase $280 up front in ebay gift cards from Walgreen call 888 323 2189 with card number(s)and get premium channel pack for 69.99 per month for 20 months with no bill for next 4 months complete by 8p.m.  and get visa credit card for $150. Pro code DTV002841.  Anyone else getting this?

Message 1 of 44
Contributor

Re: DTV ebay promo DTV002841

The same happened to me. They added premium channels.  Did you speak to someone at regular customer service & they showed the promotion?

Message 16 of 44
Tutor

I sent a message by normal reply! Probably didn’t go through. I did talk to Direct tv customer service. Misinformed rep told me to do that deal. Didn’t do it. Think I’ll go with another company
Message 17 of 44
Tutor

Yes. That's why I bought cards. But of course, trying to get a straight
answer us difficult considering English is a hard language
Message 18 of 44
Contributor

Here is a good information from AT&T.

https://www.att.com/esupport/article.html#!/dial-up/KM1159567?isreauth=true&gsi=resm6i

If you suspect a prepaid card scam:

• Hang up immediately. We don’t ever ask for prepayments with prepaid cards or gift cards.
Message 19 of 44
Tutor

It's a little late for that. So, therefore, at&t and direct tv are
getting hacked. So I will contact attorney general office for this
Message 20 of 44

All as of today the scam is still real. I received a caller ID spoofed call telling me to get an ebay card for 300.00 then contact DirectTV billing department. Though the billing department number is 888-964-1664. I am posting this as I hope I can somehow help someone before it is too late. 

Message 21 of 44

I can confirm the scam is still ongoing. Today I received a repeat phone call from a spoofed DirectTV phone number. Offering me a no contract plan with all of the movie channels for 74.99. All I needed to do was to get an Ebay gift-card to prepay the first 3 months for 300.00 and call the "Direct-TV" billing department @ 888-964-1664 and provide them code DTV196_B32. I am providing this as I hope I can save someone's hard earned money for a deal that is  too good to be true.

Message 22 of 44

They tried to pull the same line with me. I called ATT to check on the validity of it & they knew nothing about it so then I figured it was a scam.
Message 23 of 44
Contributor

I got a call from these guys,too Promising 50% off if I pay 4 months in advance....Two questions,one why DONT we get loyalty promos like this from a company that makes almost 2 grand a year off me for what amounts to not scrambling my airwaves?        Second question is why,with all the sophisticated tech crap out there have these scammers not been apprehended.Trace the number they give how hard can that be?This is why people take matters to task instead of reporting them.

Message 24 of 44
ACE - Expert

They use Voip and VPNs to hide their location and in most cases are not even in the US.

We were all new customers once.

Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 25 of 44
Contributor

Just fell for it and I'm $600 out.  I've reported to eBay and FTC.  Is there anything DTV is doing to help resolve?

Message 26 of 44
ACE - Expert

@ang42387 wrote:

Just fell for it and I'm $600 out.  I've reported to eBay and FTC.  Is there anything DTV is doing to help resolve?

No. 

For official support call DirecTV 1-800-531-5000 or AT&T 1-800-288-2020.
Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 27 of 44
Tutor

I fell for it and I reported to attorney general. This has been going on
since 2017. That means Dtv and ATT has not taken any accountability for
being hacked. Something has to be done

Message 28 of 44
Contributor

Just received the same invitation today. DTV001935, invitation number, but same telephone number and exact same info.  Thank you for having this info available on the internet.  I have been a Direct TV customer for years and have not been happy with the high price, so this sounded too good to be true and it is........................

Message 29 of 44
Contributor

I made an earlier post about receiving the same call with the same info.  BUT, I called back the number they gave me and it sounded just like the legitimate ATT/Directv number when it answered.  The music was the same up until the part where ATT looks up your account from the phone you're call from.  The fake ATT number didn't do that step, but when I selected the option to talk to a representative, I was transferred to one with the same same as the scam representative.  I hung up then.  I have requested the ATT fraud department number and will report this there.  The scam is evolving when they do answer the number and seem to have the same music etc. as the real ATT/Directv site. 

Message 30 of 44
Share this topic
Share this topic
Announcements

If your DIRECTV account has recently moved into myAT&T, let us help you manage your DIRECTV account in myAT&T.

Additional Support